What was your "last straw"???

Replies

• fitguitarist
    fitguitarist Posts: 6 Member
    several for me, but one that sticks in my mind, was an old workmate spotted me in shopping centre, pointed at me and made hand gestures indicating my stomach size. I was so embarrassed , I wanted to run away.
  • XxAngry_Pixi
    XxAngry_Pixi Posts: 236 Member
    I have ranged between 55 kilos to 101 kilos over the last 10 years, but my back has always been my fav feature. A couple of weeks ago I looked in the mirror and realized that my back has rolls :(
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    bump
  • My little boy said iv got chubby arms .. if they notice everyone must do ! And my engagement ring won't fit .. and i have baby weight !! The list could go on and on ! The main one tho is to enjoy shopping again not beening scared of it
  • baldmitch
    baldmitch Posts: 90 Member
    A year after my heart attack (where my son found me unconscious and seizing) and 5 stents later, I had to get one of my stents ballooned.

I just got sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Never really a vain person about my looks, but once triceps and chest start looking just a tad chiseled, and the body looks 10 years younger, it's a new kind of motivation. Also, breaking 100 lb's benching. Or breaking one of a dozen monthly goals. Motvation is awesome this way: it could start from a negative place, but even the negative motivation can change to positive reward motivation in a short amount of time.
  • Realizing that not only did medication make me gain back every pound of weight I'd lost last year while busting my butt, but that NONE of my jeans/shorts/etc fit me anymore. I was okay until I could tell how much bigger I'd gotten - and haATte having to buy new clothes.
  • pikle1
    pikle1 Posts: 51 Member
    seeing myself after my husband recorded me and my daughter!
  • pippsdb
    pippsdb Posts: 1 Member
    My last straw was when the doctor told me I could not have an ankle replacement until I lost at least 70 pounds! I need to be able to walk without pain again! So far down 60! Tough when you can't walk!
  • ive had many "Last straw" and somewhere along the way I lose the motivation. This final straw cost me my relationship of 5 years. Because I'm still going through it, I'll keep it simple and short. His parents, whose been separate for over 20 years, were very opinionated about my weight. I don't doubt for a second that he truly loved me. I had to come to the realization that he cared about what his parents thought more than loving me. Because of all this stress, I've tipped the scale at 353 lbs, which is the biggest I've ever been. I'm determined to get all the weight off so I can learn how to love myself again and be healthy... and also live to make him regret the choice he made.
  • For me it was a lot of really small things that all added up to just needing to change.

1) I realized I've been yo-yoing in clothing size for a few years but the yo-yo used to go from size 6-8 and in August I started using an elastic band to do up my size 10 pants.

2) My husband worked really hard a couple of years ago and lost 70 pounds. I tried to be supportive but after a while fell into old cooking habits and realized in August that he had gained it all back and it was because he got tired of trying to get me to cook him healthy food and just started eating what I put in front of him again. I looked around and realized my children were gaining weight as well. I am a SAHM and one of my children is disabled. My husband works 60-70 hours a week so I don't have to and I was failing at my most important job - to provide a healthy environment for my family.

3) I have a pair of Fluevog boots that I love. They are my dream boots, very expensive, very beautiful and I look forward to Fall to wear them. They don't zip over my calves right now. Then I tried my other boots and realize they don't zip either.

4) I saw so many of my friends training for 5K runs, posting pictures from photo sessions after working hard for months on their fitness goals and loving life. I tried to convince myself that as I parent of a disabled child (and 2 non-disabled children) that I neither wanted nor had time to live that kind of life. I do want it, I can make time and I deserve it.

5) I've been letting doctors tell me since I was a child that I am too damaged to run or do high impact exercise. I was hit by a drunk driver when I was 9 and have arthritis in my back, neck and feet. It's my excuse for everything. Then my Mom sat me down and said, "You're not as fragile as you think you are." When told her I can't do those things, she pointed out that I've never tried. That was a wake-up call. I am 37 years old and I haven't run since I was 9. I started my couch to 5k the next day.

6) This is the big one... I stopped letting my husband see me naked. 15 years of showering together, sleeping nude, chatting about our day while we undressed and dressed, and of course all the sexytimes. Gone. I started sleeping in t-shirts, locking the door when I showered, changing while he was in the bathroom.

I deserve better. I live a crazy busy and high stress life, I need to manage that stress through healthy diet and exercise, not drive through and Dexter on the couch when the kids go to bed.

My goal is to be back in my size 8s and run at least one 5k race by the end of the Calendar year.
  • Mine was when I stepped on the scale and it was over 300 my eating habits changed in mid day and started exercising. There was no way I was staying that way
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    My last straw happened when both my doctors told me that I needed to lose 30 pounds. My endocrinologist tried to put me on Glucophage just to lose weight. Now this medicine is used to control serum glucose levels and is prescribed for diabetics. She was very insistent but I resisted. "I can lose the weight without it."
    Also some people at work asked me how long before I retired. That meant that I looked 60, and I had always looked younger than my age.
    I know, vanity, vanity.
  • susanrobison32
    susanrobison32 Posts: 13 Member
    My doctor told me that I was boarder line diabetic and that I needed to take medication. He also said that it is just a down hill slide from here... bad circulation...heart disease...stroke...basically the end result was death, if things didn't change.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    I had several:

-I was headed towards a size 3x shirt
    -I was headed towards a size 24 jean
    -I was headed towards 300lbs
    -I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without being completely out of breath
    -I couldn't walk around the block without feeling winded
  • I have refused to buy clothes until I lost weight. That didn't work, lol! So I bought a couple tops and a pair of jeans. None of them were pre-shrunk. My daughter put them in the drier. :noway: I also realised that my kids recognise that I'm fat. I don't want my kids to be known as "the kids with the fat mum" and be embarrassed by me. Excuses are no longer an option.
  • divalbeckham
    divalbeckham Posts: 10 Member
    When the doctor told me that If I don't change my life I will not live to see my daughter grow up and also my husband got on me..said he does not want to lose me...that was when I had enough!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    I unfortunately didn't have a last straw. There were lots of shoulda been the last straw though. But, fortunately about 9 months ago I started dieting by accident. I didn't even have a scale or anything. I wasn't actually counting calories either, but after about 2 weeks in and noticing I was eating less I decided to do some rudimentary calorie counts. I was eating about 2200 a day down from I am not sure, but around 2900-3200 a day which was down from around 4000 when I was still gaining weight. Anyway long story short I was losing weight before I knew I was dieting and then when I discovered this thing was working I decided to go with it and I haven't gone back to the way things were and I plan to never do that again.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    seeing the photo of our day at the beach around the first week of August (my profile pic) I first thought that cant be right, but my hubbie looked great in his pics so I knew it was time to stop being in denial and get back to it. It had been almost two years since I lost 60 lbs and a lot of stressful things happened.. Now I let it all come back so I am doing this for good. I started the next Tuesday August 13. I am so glad I started. WE are eating way better and I feel so much more healthy now.
  • kordell70
    kordell70 Posts: 49 Member
    Last year I quit my stressful job to take on a less stressful job which would allow me to spend more time with friends and start enjoying the activities I used to. Well the first thing I noticed was that I was too winded to compete in the over 35 rec basketball league. Then just walking the 18 holes on a golf course got me winded. A few weeks later I went to visit my friend in Boston and the elevator was broken. I walked up 5 flights of stairs and you would have thought I ran a marathon the way I was breathing hard and sweating. The last straw was when my 13 y.o nephew was put on medication for high blood pressure and pre-diabetes. He kept saying his uncle is fat and he is healthy and that maybe his BP will regulate. It was then I knew I was not only hurting myself but being a bad role model for my nephew.

So in short (1) I have the time to enjoy then things I want to, but I am not physically fit enough to do those activities with the level of gusto I want; (2) Simple tasks like walking 5 flights of stairs were becoming more difficult than need be; and (3) I need to set a better example for my nephew. Kids learn more from observing their elders than listening to them preach something they do not follow.
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    In a class I took two years ago, I had to write a brief story about where I'd be five years from then. Last month, I re-read it to see how my goals lined up so far at almost the midway point. I realized that I was on track with almost everything except for the fact that I had aspired that I'd get to my goal weight before beginning graduate school. In reality, I had gained a few pounds instead! It was the reminder I needed that I need to stop putting this major goal in my life aside "to do later" when I really need to work on it now.
This discussion has been closed.