Sweating for the wedding?

Options

Replies

• ghsfitnesspal
    ghsfitnesspal Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    We've been engaged for about 18 months now, i've only recently gotten motivated to get fit because I want to do things like Tough Mudder! But its such a stereotype, if I turn down cake I get comments like 'aw come on you've got ages til your wedding, don't bother dieting now' *scowl* so many assumptions.

Having a set date for goals does make sense. I think i only see negative examples though. There's someone on my facebook who recently got engaged and now its loads of 'welp, better sign up to a gym & get a personal trainer so I look hot on my wedding day' status updates. I'm sort of assuming after the wedding she will also follow the tradition of 'letting yourself go'

I don't like those comments either - and it frustrates me that people comment now about the loss and say 'oh all for the wedding' when in fact I haven't changed since before I got engaged. Having said that, I do have a goal now so I can't be too peeved :) Great idea to go for a Tough Mudder - that's a great goal!
  • ghsfitnesspal
    Options
    Before this thread dies, I rather like it :)

Has anyone been altering their dresses themselves? I'm making some changes to mine, some of which will be neatened by a professional and some wont be (and I hope it goes well!)
  • ValentinaSofiaG
    Options
    I'm getting married September '14, I've already lost the weight I wanted to lose, but have regained some of it back :( just want to stay focused, have a healthy lifestyle, and of course be in the best shape of my life!
    I just wish I could stay on track and not just for a few months! I want to make it a lifestyle change, not something temporary!
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My wedding is a few weeks away but I have been working on fitness for years. All I want over the next few weeks is to keep my waist as small a possible as the dress is TIGHT ;) Also want to get my arms into fantastic shape! They are getting there!
    I am lifting a lot and heavy and doing extra ballet classes as well as continuing on my plant based diet, omitting gluten for the next few weeks.
    It gets tiring sometimes but I want my man and the guests to be in awe of my goddessness ;)
  • Rkthach
    Rkthach Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My wedding is May 31, 2014. I am waiting to dress shop until Dec and hoping I will be down at least 15 to 20 pounds by then!
  • Rkthach
    Rkthach Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    An exciting part is my engagement ring not fitting anymore! We also held off on ordering our wedding bands, just in case.
  • pollypocket3
    pollypocket3 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Don't count out the bridesmaids! I'm the maid of honor for my best friend! She's finally set her date today and I've been working towards a goal for a little over two months! I want to be maintaining by the time dress fittings come around!

Congrats to all you brides! And Brides-to-Be!
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My wedding is on October 5th but my dress is not finished yet... getting it made... not worried though :)
    My problem..? I am great at sucking it all in for my fittings, taking a couple inches off my waist so have a pain in my side when it's all over... haha!!!! Need to get smaller/ tighter so I don't die of pain on my wedding day ;)
  • rockinjennydee
    rockinjennydee Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    ME! I'm getting hitched July 2014 in Cancun! ADD ME! I need some more future bride friends for help, guidance, motivation and even wedding planning venting and suggestions! (I know you're not shallow, we all wanna look our best for our wedding, but I want to learn to be healthy and happy forever with my future husband!)
  • msdutter
    msdutter Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Me!

April 19, 2014!

I want to be healthier over all, and happier. This wedding is just kicking my butt into gear to stick with it.
  • lauranneuk
    lauranneuk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Me, my wedding is 24th May 2014. Have lost 63lb so far, just another million to go! Am loving my new found energy though and even more loving the gym weirdly! Feel free to add me :)
  • smann1115
    smann1115 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've got tons of family weddings coming up so I always feel like I'm trying to lose weight before the next one.
  • ghsfitnesspal
    Options
    I think having more energy in the craziness that is wedding planning is a huge bonus! Sometimes a run or walk or bike ride or something is all you need to clear your head - refreshing physically and mentally :)
  • metalgearpanda
    metalgearpanda Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm joining in here, I'm sweating for my wedding, but it's not till Early 2015, so I have about 18 months to get my sweat on.

I'd like to lose about 15(ish) pounds. I've been going at this now for about 2 years already and slowly it's coming off, just taking its time.

Feel free to add me! :D xxx
  • Lizflad
    Lizflad Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Boy, you gals have the right idea, give yourself lots of time! I'm getting married in late January and started ratcheting up my activity level last October after we were engaged. I got back my "college aged" fitness level and am pretty pleased! I just re-set my goal so I can take it up a notch these last few months. I still stick to my first love - spinning class - but have added weight lifting and trail running, which I am learning to like better, it is definitely a challenge.
  • Lizflad
    Lizflad Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What is with the obsession with losing weight just for the wedding? I hate it, its all you see in wedding magazines and forums.

I'm getting married in March, but it is not the reason i'm getting into shape. I want to be a healthier and fitter person fullstop. That will not suddenly end when the wedding is over.

Totally agree -- the media and the wedding industry have brainwashed people (not just the ladies, guys are obsessing too) to believe they have to be the absolute skinniest (not fittest, not happiest, not lovey-dovey-iest) they can possibly be on the day they happen to marry another person. I think it stems from the out-dated belief that once a person gets married, they have kids right away and their body will never be what it once was. Both of these things are no longer true. Want to wait or just don't want kids? Great! Want to have kids right away? Great! You can still get back into shape once they are born. People do it all the time.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My wedding is May 2014, I want to get in shape for overal health purposes, with the wedding as a tangible, fixed goal to work towards.
    My honey is on board too, he's here, we just joined a gym, we're making weekly meal plans, and supporting each other. It's grand, he's a keeper for sure.
  • ae6clarke
    ae6clarke Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I'm getting married next December 5th (2014) and am hoping to lose 10 kilos before ordering my dress at the start of next year. In response to the poster who made the point about a wedding being about marrying the love of your life, rather than weight - I couldn't agree with you more, but a lot of people find a concrete goal helps them with their loss, rather than a general 'I want to...' goal..

Looking for some motivation mates, if anyone is interested :) x
  • LauraCarlson86
    Options
    I'm definitely sweating for the wedding - it's coming up soon - December 2013! I've lost 30ish lbs and hope to lose about 10-15 more! it's been tough but eventually will be so worth it to have that proud moment walking down the aisle. best wishes to everyone and congratulations to the brides and future brides!

<3
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight for a bridesmaid dress....good luck to all of you lovely brides, though!!
This discussion has been closed.