Self Esteem Shot Because of Rude People.

Options
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I'm obese. I am making a lifestyle change, but can't lose all the weight overnight. Lately I've read some pretty nasty things online like: "obese people disrespect their bodies, so we will disrespect obese people", "obese women are child abusers because their kids will get fat", people fat shaming obese people, etc.

I can't get these stories out of my mind. Sorry, fat shaming does NOT work for me at all. I feel embarrassed to leave my house now wondering what people think of me. We all have a story on why we got to where we are. How can people be so judgmental and down right nasty?? It really makes me feel so bad about myself especially since I can't lose it all overnight! :(

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Good on you for making positive changes. Stuff them for what they "think" :laugh:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    As far as online stuff - take what you like and leave the rest.

Thinking that everyone will agree with your frame of mind is just asking for trouble. The interwebz don't work that way.

For that matter, real life doesn't work that way. Learn to tune them out.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    There really are people like that in the world. They're what we in the civilized world like to call *kitten*.

If you're having trouble coping with how awful humanity can be, perhaps talk to a trusted friend, relative, or a counselor. This sounds like more than an anonymous bullying problem.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Most people don't think that way. Have you ever seen the show What Would You Do? I've seen versions where the crew sets up fake scenarios involving an overweight person being insulted, and that offends people pretty much across the board.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    You've decided to make changes and that is what is important. F*** them.
  • robertgal74
    Options
    I would try to put all that behind you. I know it's hard, but you need to focus on this very important step you have just taken to get healthy.

47160412.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    j1KgNv7.gif

You have come to the right place. You can do this and you are so right, It will not be overnight. It could take years but the beauty of it is. If you follow MFP you can still live and eat very well and continue to live healthy and happy for the rest of your life.
  • LadyLaw2Phd
    Options
    I tried getting back into exercise about a year ago and had a guy tell me he was shocked that such a fatty could move the bike and not break it. I went home, cried, and sold my bike. A little over a year later I'm down 15 pounds and give ZERO sh!ts about people. I shake my ample booty at Zumba, hit the weights like its my job and watch what I eat. Here's what I have to say to stupid and rude people:

1) I might be slow but I'm going a lot faster than the idiot on the couch.
    2) I love myself enough to do this.
    3) I can lose the fat but you can't lose the stupid.

Motivational sayings:
    1) Just put on pants.
    2) I love myself enough for this.
    3) If I still want to go back to bed in 15 mins. I'll leave the gym and go back to bed.
  • sj_1970
    Options
    See my avatar.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, this is my first post. I'm obese. I am making a lifestyle change, but can't lose all the weight overnight. Lately I've read some pretty nasty things online like: "obese people disrespect their bodies, so we will disrespect obese people", "obese women are child abusers because their kids will get fat", people fat shaming obese people, etc.

I can't get these stories out of my mind. Sorry, fat shaming does NOT work for me at all. I feel embarrassed to leave my house now wondering what people think of me. We all have a story on why we got to where we are. How can people be so judgmental and down right nasty?? It really makes me feel so bad about myself especially since I can't lose it all overnight! :(

Do you want the pc answer or the truth? you have a choice we all do, make that choice and live with it. i will not empathize with you or insult you, the decision is yours
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    HI there - what is it they say - be mindful of what you say - everyone is fighting some kind of battle ... and some of those rude insensitive people will ALWAYS be rude and insensitive :explode: - but you can lose weight!

You have the right ideas -
    :flowerforyou: you have accepted yes, you are obese (such an ugly word).
    :flowerforyou: It is a lifestyle change - YES!!
    :flowerforyou: You can't lose the weight overnight - but you will lose it sensible and sustainably if you log faithfully, make better choices where you can, get some movement in your day as much as possible - every bit helps keep burning calories. I started by just walking around my backyard five times, then ten times, then 20 times, trying to go more and faster each time. Sometimes I did the power walk thing, punching my fat arms in front of me - no-one could see me :laugh: It got me started.

You have three children who want their mum around a long time, and you can do this, once you set your mind to it; log faithfully, good and bad, so you learn what are better choices. Open your diary to friends so they can help you.

And let go those nasty stories in your head - think - you are making this change for you - it will work, check out the success stories if you EVER doubt yourself - it can be done.
    PS LOVE the gif above!! SO true
    and this: 3) I can lose the fat but you can't lose the stupid. :laugh:
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Hi - i think its best to stay away from those things.. you dont need it in your life.

if anyone gives you a criticism, you dont even have to answer them.. just go on your merry way.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    why let some people affect your self esteem, just because the worms pop out of the wormholes doesn't mean you have dive in after them.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    why let some people affect your self esteem, just because the worms pop out of the wormholes doesn't mean you have dive in after them.
    [/quot

it hurts the op is lucky though she has a choice some people don't, the world we live in is messed up, in a long list of hard luck stories being overweight is not anywhere near the top
  • sarasmiles124
    sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The comment that usually gets to me is something that is said to me face to face - that because I am overweight, I am lazy. I may not work out everyday and I may not be where I want to be weight wise, but I work three jobs with generally only one day off each week, if that. And when I have time, I sleep, spend time with family and friends and work out.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Technically, I am obese. A couple of years, away from the gym, and my muscle mass has turned into fat. I never knew, I had so much muscle, untill it turned into fat. I miss not having a waist, but with a little dedication, and a daily routine, I will get it back. I am just glad my injuries are no longer hampering my progress. Watch this space!
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Read this. I think back on it everytime I am out exercising and feel that "look" it has helped me on my journey. We all start somewhere. http://i.imgur.com/6jEWN.png
  • MommaRobs
    MommaRobs Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Do not give the rude and insensitive people that kind of control over you. Believe in yourself. Yes it will take time and commitment. You may need to try a few different things before you find what works for you. Reach out for the support of positive people, like the ones you will find here. Screw the @$$holes. They aren't worth worrying about. Do this for YOU, because YOU are worth it. Repeat, YOU are worth it.
  • mamayoucandoit
    Options
    don't worry about them, try joining bbw groups once you're comfortable in your own skin then you will lose the weight
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Read this. I think back on it everytime I am out exercising and feel that "look" it has helped me on my journey. We all start somewhere. http://i.imgur.com/6jEWN.png

I love this. Great post. Thanks!!