Why do British people drink so early in the day?

Options

Replies

• iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    first off, loving the generalisation :D I didn't know I drank for a start- thanks for enlightening me P:

second, you were in a pub... where people go to drink socially... and you were surprised to see people drink... yes.

third, it's not unacceptable to have a glass of wine, or what ever you like, at lunch, in fact its the same in many European countries- its almost unusual not to.

fourth, I think we do have a bit of an issue with alcohol in this country; the idea that you need to get plastered to have a good time- so on that front yeah I can see where you're coming from.

I am starting to think more and more that Scandinavia is its own continent.. not part of Europe.. :laugh:

Well Norway isn't in the EU. :drinker:

OMG neither is Iceland.. and a bunch of other (fake?) european countries (mostly in the east).. we must not be proper European then! Must join the Union or be forever outcasts!

oh wait.. to us that would actually sound like a good thing so.. never mind!

:drinker:
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I don't know why this board is called Chit Chat Fun N Games. It so often makes a quick turn towards anger and resentment.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    It really does depend where you are, as a company we go out twice a year after work, one to celebrate our annual achievements and one for Christmas. In our area the pub is dying out. Yet visiting my brother in York was an eye opener for me, everyone, young, old, babies, grandmas and the cousins all go to the same place day in day out and alcohol is a way of life. Fair enough it is not for all to get drunk but the pub is a family social place in York. London it is more about the business person off for a drink after work and can get very busy quickly. I would visit Wiltshire and Hampshire next time you are over. We have great places to eat great retreats and wonderful picturesque places to visit. If you do go back to the capital have a look on line for places like Gourmet Burgers and Zizzi restaurants. These will provide you a nice sit down meal with the choice of a beverage and most towns have them now x avoid Weatherspoons and Yates after 17:00 hours most days as they do grub in a pub and it attracts a lot of flies....

Replies like this makes me happy to have made the thread.. I am genuinely interested to hear how people see things differently and experience things differently.

Also, thanks for the pointers.. Will definately keep them in mind!

You are welcome, please email me if you would like to know anything before coming to visit us again. xxx I will send you a friend request.

We have some fab pubs in Wiltshire... and so many are dog friendly too.

I have a fair few American friends involved in various rescues who think it's amazing we allow dogs in eating establishments...

Probably because our portions aren't really big enough to share...
  • iceqieen
    Options
    I just want to throw this in here, completely on topic (or rather on the topic the thread went to):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption

OMG the UK is really kicking Iceland/Norway butt! Must up my alchohol consumption to do my part! Too bad its not socially acceptable to drink out in bars before 9pm in Iceland (really, it isnt.. to go and have a beer with food is, most bars in iceland double as coffee houses during the day).. or we would have gotten a way better score.. honest!

And look at the Danish! They are doing their part! Go Danes!

:laugh: :drinker: :laugh:
  • CollieFit
    Options
    first off, loving the generalisation :D I didn't know I drank for a start- thanks for enlightening me P:

second, you were in a pub... where people go to drink socially... and you were surprised to see people drink... yes.

third, it's not unacceptable to have a glass of wine, or what ever you like, at lunch, in fact its the same in many European countries- its almost unusual not to.

fourth, I think we do have a bit of an issue with alcohol in this country; the idea that you need to get plastered to have a good time- so on that front yeah I can see where you're coming from.

I am starting to think more and more that Scandinavia is its own continent.. not part of Europe.. :laugh:

OMG neither is Iceland.. and a bunch of other (fake?) european countries (mostly in the east).. we must not be proper European then! Must join the Union or be forever outcasts!

Funny how Sweden and Denmark is in and Norway and Iceland are out... I thought you frozen folk were all the same "oop noorf"... :huh: :wink:
  • gebhart4
    gebhart4 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    "Normal stuff" is different depending on the culture and country in which houses it. Take a moment and consider North American customs, traditions, etc from the point of view of someone from East Africa or Prague.

My recommendation would be don't fall into the habit of easily applying a 'American' or 'North American' view point on the world at large. Consider this, that was EXACTLY what happened when our European ancestors began colonizing North and South America. They applied a European viewpoint upon the aboriginal inhabits of this continent. They viewed their cultures, religious beliefs, education, medicine, traditions, and etc under a strict European lens and deemed it inferior in almost every light. And well, you know what happened next.

Not only that, in Europe, generally speaking, alcohol is not considered as problematic as it is in North America. The same in Japan, there is a type of alcohol that you can old drink when you reach a certain old age, and one you can drink around 14 years of age. It's all about culture and customs. The world is a big place and has a wealth of difference in it.

Food for thought I guess!
  • iceqieen
    Options

Funny how Sweden and Denmark is in and Norway and Iceland are out... I thought you frozen folk were all the same "oop noorf"... :huh: :wink:

Nah the Swedes and Danes betrayed us.. jealous of our fisheries they left us for the southerners.. except when it comes to Eurovision, then they still vote for us! (sometimes)
  • CollieFit
    Options
    I've drunk some Finnish home brew!! I thought I'd have to go to hospital! :noway:

Must be the lack of daylight or something!
  • iceqieen
    Options
    "Normal stuff" is different depending on the culture and country in which houses it. Take a moment and consider North American customs, traditions, etc from the point of view of someone from East Africa or Prague.

My recommendation would be don't fall into the habit of easily applying a 'American' or 'North American' view point on the world at large. Consider this, that was EXACTLY what happened when our European ancestors began colonizing North and South America. They applied a European viewpoint upon the aboriginal inhabits of this continent. They viewed their cultures, religious beliefs, education, medicine, traditions, and etc under a strict European lens and deemed it inferior in almost every light. And well, yo know what happened next.

Not only that, in Europe, generally speaking alcohol is not considered as problematic as it is in North America.

Food for thought I guess!

completely offtopic but its also interesting to read ancient greek and roman texts about "northern" europe (includes what we now talk about as france, germany and the UK).. I really love reading how the (what we now call scandinavians) worshipped Mars and Athena and all the other roman gods.. except sometimes they had their "facts" wrong.. like the hierarchy is slightly "off" or the abilities are "confused" with others.. Cause those gods called Thor, Odin, Freyr, and Frigg are ofcourse just different names for the "real" gods.

my point: its what you do, you view new things in relation to old things and to explain to the masses what you have just experienced you need to explain it with something they understand.

ETA: I am still amused at how people assume I am "an 'murican" who just wants to generalize about "Europe" and then people themselfs generalise about Europe :laugh:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I don't know why this board is called Chit Chat Fun N Games. It so often makes a quick turn towards anger and resentment.

That tends to happen when people get a bit judgey.

To answer the OP- Because it's their lives and they are doing what they want with it.
  • iceqieen
    Options
    I've drunk some Finnish home brew!! I thought I'd have to go to hospital! :noway:

Must be the lack of daylight or something!

I must admitt I have yet to taste Finnish alchohol.. did have a cousin who went there to artschool and he was drunk/being pressured to drink the whole semester (the drinking started on day one, when his new classmates invided him over for a start of semester party)

Then again that might have been the artschool part, not Finland :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    They are our designated drinkers, to keep up with the Russians. It's an ancient war where the British, French and German are allies: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/02/17/article-1357892-0D3BD410000005DC-175_968x562.jpg
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

To answer the OP- Because it's their lives and they are doing what they want with it.

:flowerforyou:
  • iceqieen
    Options

but but.. I as a tourist must have food when I want it and how I want it! Its just rude to stop serving food so early in the day and with drunk people in the way all over the place!

:laugh:
  • iceqieen
    Options
    They are our designated drinkers, to keep up with the Russians. It's an ancient war where the British, French and German are allies: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/02/17/article-1357892-0D3BD410000005DC-175_968x562.jpg

This is cool! Much better to see it in a graphic than a list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Because they are 5 to 8 hours ahead of the US (depending on East or West Coast)

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • CollieFit
    Options

but but.. I as a tourist must have food when I want it and how I want it! Its just rude to stop serving food so early in the day and with drunk people in the way all over the place!

:laugh:

Oh what's the matter now? Fish 'n Chips not big enough?? That's because it's cod & chips not whale & chips... :smokin:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    *Disclaimer: I am repeating stereotypes and observations made by foreigners to each country and this does not reflect everyone and their cat

Why let others speak for you? Would you not want to be judged by your own words, or the words of others?

Hmm.. because what I would have to say about the Icelandic stereotype would probably offend everyone else :laugh: Other peoples opinion of us is so much nicer.

PS I love being asked why I am not blonde.

We've seen Bjork, could it get worse?

Blonde up top or both stem and stern?
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    This thread is hilarious.

Actually I haven't worn my I <3 Wills & Kate t-shirt in a while...

Nearly time for the pub!!!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    As a Brit I can't deny the accuracy of this statement.
    The entire UK is made up of drunks and sheep.
    My colleagues drink every single day, and they drink A LOT. Can't tell if there's a difference between being an alcoholic and being British any more.
    Must figure out a test to perform...:drinker:

Well, I guess the test is to see which one you try to breed with. One of them means you're drunk.
This discussion has been closed.