detox and fasting

Options
123457»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've been through this battle before with others over this topic on numerous occasions. I do water fasts for 3 days every 1 - 2 months to purify myself and I have even been given the green light from my nutritionist AND my doctor to do this. Since then, my blood pressure has dropped immensely, and I find I sleep better, digest food better, and just overall feel like new. When I do my water fast I drink nothing but water for those 3 days and ease back into eating RAW foods like fruit & veggies, or it can make you very sick afterwards going back into just eating how you were before you did the fast. I took 2 daily multivitamins, and i take green tea, apple cider vinegar, and b12&b6 supplements. If you really feel like you need a change, try infusing your water with frozen fruit gives you a nice fresh taste :) Happy Detoxing!
    I eat a diet of healthy, whole foods and exercise. My BP at the doctor yesterday was 100/68.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I've been through this battle before with others over this topic on numerous occasions. I do water fasts for 3 days every 1 - 2 months to purify myself and I have even been given the green light from my nutritionist AND my doctor to do this. Since then, my blood pressure has dropped immensely, and I find I sleep better, digest food better, and just overall feel like new. When I do my water fast I drink nothing but water for those 3 days and ease back into eating RAW foods like fruit & veggies, or it can make you very sick afterwards going back into just eating how you were before you did the fast. I took 2 daily multivitamins, and i take green tea, apple cider vinegar, and b12&b6 supplements. If you really feel like you need a change, try infusing your water with frozen fruit gives you a nice fresh taste :) Happy Detoxing!
    Yuck. Keep it. I'd be UNHAPPY detoxing. I've lost 120lbs in 15 months without a single cleanse, detox, green tea, vinegar cucumber salt water anything.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

Did your doctor and nutritionist specify what exactly you were purifying? I'd love to know more about what toxins you think you're cleansing, exactly.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I don't bully anyone. I sit on their heads until they calm down and accept I'm right. Or stop breathing. Then I give them CPR and they owe me like forever.
    I think OP deserves a rap.

Got sludge in my colon,
    It's makin me wack,
    Wanna shoot salt up my *kitten*,
    Nature finna put me back on track,
    These hoes on MFP diss my salt,
    I'll pop a cap, get charged with assault,
    So tired of these chomos who hate on my detox,
    Hex these mofos and hope they get the pox,
    I'm too thug for advice, dat shiz is fo chumps,
    Now let me put in my enema, pump, pump pump!

:love: :flowerforyou:
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

Please read. This isn't PLAIN water. it is SALT water. Your advice is not sane.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

You do realize that everything you included in your post, the OP is not doing, right? She's not planning on eating at all. Plus she's not doing a water fast, she's doing a SALT water fast. NOT THE SAME.

Edited to say, she's not eating anything for 3 days... and afterwards, who knows. Might not be like you with fruits and veggies. Plus she hasn't said this was OK'ed by her doctor.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

Evidence that we need to institute some kind of IQ test for voting and procreating.

I know we are supposed to be nicer here, but seriously?! How can you read this lunacy and not respond?

You are my hero. Well one of them.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    I don't bully anyone. I sit on their heads until they calm down and accept I'm right. Or stop breathing. Then I give them CPR and they owe me like forever.
    I think OP deserves a rap.

Got sludge in my colon,
    It's makin me wack,
    Wanna shoot salt up my *kitten*,
    Nature finna put me back on track,
    These hoes on MFP diss my salt,
    I'll pop a cap, get charged with assault,
    So tired of these chomos who hate on my detox,
    Hex these mofos and hope they get the pox,
    I'm too thug for advice, dat shiz is fo chumps,
    Now let me put in my enema, pump, pump pump!

:love: :flowerforyou:
    :heart: *Blows kisses, accepts shower of rose petals*
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Uh, does it matter? In the out door or down the hatch. Either is a stupid idea. Still not talking about IF.

I laughed entirely too hard at this.

In for continued lolz. :laugh:
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    For the love of god STOP DOING THIS RIGHT NOW. This is NOT safe.

"If you're consuming seawater, the results of osmosis are spectacularly disastrous. Remember the salinity of seawater is almost four times that of our bodily fluids. If gone unchecked, the net transfer of water from the inside of your cells to the outside will cause the cells to shrink considerably -- and shrinkage is never good.

Unless you drink a lot of freshwater, the body's regulatory mechanism in this situation is potentially fatal. With seawater, the change in sodium concentration outside our cells is the main culprit. In order to regain an isotonic state, a must for cell survival, the body attempts to eliminate the excess sodium from its extracellular fluids. It secretes urine. However, human kidneys can only produce urine that's slightly less salty than saltwater. So, in order to remove the extreme amount of sodium taken in by saltwater, we urinate more water than we actually drank. And dehydration sets in.

So, if you're guzzling seawater, you actually aren't taking in any water but are incurring a net loss, leading to depleted body fluids, muscle cramps, dry mouth, and yes, thirst.

The body tries to compensate for fluid loss by increasing the heart rate and constricting blood vessels to maintain blood pressure and flow to vital organs. You're also most likely to feel nausea, weakness and even delirium. As you become more dehydrated, the coping mechanism fails. If you still don't drink any water to reverse the effects of excess sodium, the brain and other organs receive less blood, leading to coma, organ failure and eventually death."

Oh yea..well, on the positive side, you could lose a few pounds! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • VixenInTraining
    Options
    Just try this

2ufezrt.jpg

But be warned this could happen

148kxv9.jpg
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Oh FFS!!! Why is it so hard for people to read and I mean actually read the frakkin' OP's post?!?!?! Really? Is it that hard??? You can even glance through the pages and see what people are mentioning....like don't drink the salt? Doesn't that at least make you wonder what they are referring to??? Or do you just see detox and fasting as the topic and then jump in to try to encourage the person without reading what they are actually doing??? Do you realize you are doing more harm than the good you think you are doing. Seriously, this detox she is doing is dangerous and can cause long term damage, even for just 2 days.

So I realize you just wanted to encourage the OP because you only read the thread's title and knew there would be a bunch of people saying not to do it...I'm going to encourage you and insist that you start reading the actual posts BEFORE you respond with your toxic advice. In fact, I'm going to go so far as maybe you should make sure you read the whole thread before you even think about responding.

No this isn't a personal attack, and I'm not being mean to you. I'm advising you to read the post, and then THINK before you speak. That's all.
  • digbybebe
    digbybebe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    triphala is a good, very gentle colon cleanser used in Ayurvedic medicine. Not to be abused. Also, in yoga, there are several poses, for example- wind-removing pose which help with keeping colon moving. Some people swear by a cup of warm lemon water in the a.m. and of course- the natural fiber from vegetables...

Warm water and lemon works wonders...certainly gets the bits of me moving that jillian mchaels can't reach....and totally with you on the yoga too great advice!!
  • digbybebe
    digbybebe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Incidentally did you know that if you want to drown someone you should do it with fresh water as the body is so adverse to swallowing salt water that you naturally want to vomit.....the body does all it can to prevent the salt water going in...whereas it happily swallows dow fresh water making drowning far easier in fresh water...just incase you ever needed to know....

Don't know how much weight you'd lose drowning tho...id imagine the water retention may be an issue after a while....
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I did a medically supervised 10 day detox through a major hospital in my town. The detox was this:

3 vegan protein shakes a day, 3 spaced scoops of psyillium (a fiber supplement which is the major ingredient in Metamucil) and all the steamed veggies I wanted. I also drank detox tea (you can get it at Whole Foods or most healthfood stores.)

The first 3 days were tough, but by the 5th day I started to feel incredible..I had terrific energy, I slept like a log. This was 4 months ago and that detox got me off of artifical sweetners, white flour and sugar. It also taught me to eat veggies and I eat l lb of veggies a day now.
    sounds to me as if you are doing a self-designed detox.

It sounds to me as if you designed this detox yourself and you might be doing your body more harm than good.
    Which hospital? Because any hospital full of medical professionals who think this is necessary is not a hospital I want to ever go to for treatment.

Northwestern University Medical Center Integrative Medicine with Dr. Judy Fulop.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I did a medically supervised 10 day detox through a major hospital in my town. The detox was this:

3 vegan protein shakes a day, 3 spaced scoops of psyillium (a fiber supplement which is the major ingredient in Metamucil) and all the steamed veggies I wanted. I also drank detox tea (you can get it at Whole Foods or most healthfood stores.)

The first 3 days were tough, but by the 5th day I started to feel incredible..I had terrific energy, I slept like a log. This was 4 months ago and that detox got me off of artifical sweetners, white flour and sugar. It also taught me to eat veggies and I eat l lb of veggies a day now.
    sounds to me as if you are doing a self-designed detox.

It sounds to me as if you designed this detox yourself and you might be doing your body more harm than good.
    Which hospital? Because any hospital full of medical professionals who think this is necessary is not a hospital I want to ever go to for treatment.

Northwestern University Medical Center Integrative Medicine with Dr. Judy Fulop.
    A Naturopath.. holding $400 classes on how to detox.

http://classes.nmh.org/listing/detail/Cleansing+Program

sigh.

"Dr. Judy Fulop received her BA in cultural anthropology at Wheaton College in Ill. She went on to complete her MS in mental health and psychology at Avila College in Kansas City, Mo. Dr. Fulop completed her naturopathic training at National College of Natural Medicine (NCNM) in Portland, Ore"

per: http://www.naturopathicgathering.com/speakers.php#JudyFulop
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    yes bc what i said is completely idiotic, if you didn't agree with what you was reading you shouldn't posted at all, i thought people on this site was supportive and trying to do the same as me and lose weight just bc you don't understand something or you think it's stupid doesn't grant you some sort of hide behind my computer and be rude pass. I believe in natural healing. I know not everyone thinks it's a good idea but please leave the rudeness and reply with a halfway intelligent comment. I don't understand why attacking someone who has a different opinion on how THEY are losing weight mean I should be bombarded with negativity and childish comments from some people, i respect the fact you think it's bad but you really should grow up and respect my question.

To answer your question from your OP. Since you are obviously hell bent to do this , even though there is no scientific back-up that detox enemas work ( just the opposite; salt water enemas destroy the rather delicate balance of your intestinal mucus, which can lead to quite severe health problems ) I have to tell you that you will just have to suck it up in regard to hunger pangs. I know that you could suck on peppermint candy, but then you would not be fasting anymore and if you chose sugar free you would be introducing exactly those toxins you are trying to " detox "......so yes, you will just have to suck it up. The sad things is, that you are making this effort for no reason at all.
    Btw: your weight loss is not because of the detox, but because you are not eating. Statistics say that the weight people lose through these methods in more than 95% of all people returns at about the same speed as they lost it. I wish I could tell you " Good Luck ", but that would be sarcastic and the matter is too serious for sarcasm.
This discussion has been closed.