Rid of belly fat!

Options

Replies

• delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Seems to be about stess and a hormone called cortisol. Stress makes more cortisol and that causes a craving hunger and a need for sugar foods and it goes right to fat , and to the belly.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1099086-stress-cortisol-belly-fat-mindfulness

no.

THIS is why people are "mean." To promulgate this sort of utterly false information . . . yeah, it should be strongly discouraged.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Seems to be about stess and a hormone called cortisol. Stress makes more cortisol and that causes a craving hunger and a need for sugar foods and it goes right to fat , and to the belly.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1099086-stress-cortisol-belly-fat-mindfulness

no.

THIS is why people are "mean." To promulgate this sort of utterly false information . . . yeah, it should be strongly discouraged.

QFT
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Subcutaneous belly fat: Calorie deficit and time.

Visceral belly fat: Cardio. According to one study, the equivalent to walking/jogging 12 miles per week prevents the accumulation of more visceral fat, and the equivalent to walking/jogging 17 miles per week reduces visceral fat "significantly". "Specifically, those participants exercising at the highest level [not sure if it 17 miles or 20 miles of jogging per week] saw a 6.9 percent decrease in visceral fat and a 7 percent decrease in subcutaneous fat [over 8 months with no change in diet]."

Waist size: Both of the above. Strength training if your "core" isn't strong. Dietary experimentation - sodium, carbs, other potential sensitivities/allergies, etc.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    All I can say is thank goodness the OP appears very sensible as the awesomeness of this thread is now complete with a couple of fantastic new posts on this page! /sarcasm font
  • geminijo04
    Options
    All I can say is thank goodness the OP appears very sensible as the awesomeness of this thread is now complete with a couple of fantastic new posts on this page! /sarcasm font

OMG tell me about it. All I wanted was some advice...not people bashing on one another.... this is why I DO NOT post threads!!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

OMG tell me about it. All I wanted was some advice...not people bashing on one another.... this is why I DO NOT post threads!!
    This isn't the typical thread. Every now and then, there will be people lurking.. just waiting to play defender to people that aren't being insulted.. and they'll come into a thread just making their goal to be that of "let's see how unhelpful and douchey I can be without getting a strike!"

The vast majority of threads don't end like this. Don't let this keep you from posting. The drama-baiters will get bored and go back to hating themselves quietly in their fortress of "I'm too awesome for you people" soon enough.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I really liked this article on Today: http://www.today.com/health/25-ways-flatten-your-belly-summer-741996

Some easy fixes to beat belly bloat were to exercise, get plenty of sleep, skip the soda and high sodium food, and drink lots of water.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    University of Michigan study on blueberries and belly fat.
    http://www.webmd.com/heart/news/20090419/blueberries-may-banish-belly-fat

That study is over 5 years old.....

Is there anything more recent or substantial besides the one study on lab rats 5 years ago?
  • geminijo04
    Options
    I really liked this article on Today: http://www.today.com/health/25-ways-flatten-your-belly-summer-741996

Some easy fixes to beat belly bloat were to exercise, get plenty of sleep, skip the soda and high sodium food, and drink lots of water.

Awesome thanks!!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    A 'belly-fat blaster' is a phrase that, when posted on an internet forum, will entice young, bored, half-dressed men to round up on a young girl in a confrontational manner.

Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:

Oh is that what you call it??? Thought it was a infomercial with half baked claims? So I thought it was a polite way to say PROVE IT!

Instead of simply correcting the poster's misconception that blueberries are 'belly fat busters', we get the usual round of posts masquerading as requests for more information that, in reality, ARE confrontational to the original poster. Because the answer to said 'questions' is already known.

Give information. Don't bait.
    This post is completely condescending and insulting to the OP, as it implies they are childish, stupid, emotionally helpless, and incapable of gathering information unless it is packaged in specific language as prescribed by you.

It is also not 'baiting' to request more information. It is an attempt to get the person to further analyze their own assertions, in the hopes they will discover that there really is no further information to be had because their claims are baseless. It is a vote of confidence that the person is capable of discovering, thinking, and understanding that for themselves instead of just saying "you're wrong and you should stop thinking/reading/learning for yourself and just believe me because I said so."
    tumblr_mboooqE7RG1qzlt66_zps24be9f3e.gif
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    WOW, while the initial posters asking the lady who made the blueberry "belly blasting claim" sounded as if they were truly asking her to back up her claim or at least not make a claim with no evidence in a dignified manner; the majority of you seem like you just like ripping apart people to make yourselves feel better. Even if her claim is wrong there are ways to do it in a rational and polite manner. Many of us on this came here because we have been dumped on for our weight related issues. We may not be here looking for friends, but an ally in our goals of maintaining a healthy life would be nice. I am ready to hear the response of "Oh here we go again another "butt hurt" individual who can't handle some taunting get over it" -- Because frankly I don't care for people who act in such asinine manners. However, there are people on this site who have low self-esteem issues as it is and don't need to be mocked just because they are trying to help. We have all made mistakes and sometimes say things which later turn out to be false. Hell, since I was a kid the "Food Groups" have changed, many studies on proper weight loss management and muscle building have changed. If I had quoted those studies to someone say 10 years ago, I am sure some of you superior people would look it up and try and shame me saying well you are wrong now.

And just to stick up for the young lady, there was a study done by the University of Michigan on rats which actually support her claims. Now queue in the people who say "BUT IT WAS DONE ON RATS SO YOUR POINT MEANS NOTHING" --- Yes it was done on animals like most studies which are first done on animals many of which people on this forum to prove their varying points.

Thanks for the post! And simply because the study might be an older one, it does not somehow magically make it invalid.
  • RGv2
    Options
    WOW, while the initial posters asking the lady who made the blueberry "belly blasting claim" sounded as if they were truly asking her to back up her claim or at least not make a claim with no evidence in a dignified manner; the majority of you seem like you just like ripping apart people to make yourselves feel better. Even if her claim is wrong there are ways to do it in a rational and polite manner. Many of us on this came here because we have been dumped on for our weight related issues. We may not be here looking for friends, but an ally in our goals of maintaining a healthy life would be nice. I am ready to hear the response of "Oh here we go again another "butt hurt" individual who can't handle some taunting get over it" -- Because frankly I don't care for people who act in such asinine manners. However, there are people on this site who have low self-esteem issues as it is and don't need to be mocked just because they are trying to help. We have all made mistakes and sometimes say things which later turn out to be false. Hell, since I was a kid the "Food Groups" have changed, many studies on proper weight loss management and muscle building have changed. If I had quoted those studies to someone say 10 years ago, I am sure some of you superior people would look it up and try and shame me saying well you are wrong now.

And just to stick up for the young lady, there was a study done by the University of Michigan on rats which actually support her claims. Now queue in the people who say "BUT IT WAS DONE ON RATS SO YOUR POINT MEANS NOTHING" --- Yes it was done on animals like most studies which are first done on animals many of which people on this forum to prove their varying points.

Thanks for the post! And simply because the study might be an older one, it does not somehow magically make it invalid.

Invalid, no, but is there something more recent and more extensive. This link doesn't lay out the control, length of study, etc... If this was discovered in '09, I'm guessing we'd be hearing about Blueberry extract by now.
  • kordell70
    kordell70 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi Rgv2: I saw your post and am trying to respond during lunch break. I am not sure what if any other studies there have been done concerning blueberries or if there is a product out there utilizing blueberries which are sold as a dietary aid. Prior to this thread I never heard of such a claim and have never made such a claim to this day. My several earlier responses were not really to support or put down the use of blueberries or their health benefits. I was merely trying to point out that several posters were unnecessarily antagonistic toward a young woman who made the claim that blueberries were "belly blasters." Many people seemed to have taken pleasure in putting this person down for her claims. My personal opinion is that whether someone makes a claim which someone else agrees with or not, that we could all act in a dignified manner when refuting or supporting such claims. Several posters acted as if she magically pull her statement out from thin air. However, in a 2 second Google search I found the one link discussing the University of Michigan study (Specific information on the study will have to be retrieve from the U of M database as again my goal was not to prove of refute the ladies claim so no additional search was done on my part). I am not sure if this is the information the young lady choose to hang her hat on, or if it was from another site. However, her advice whether one chooses to accept it or not was coming from a place of goodness and should not have been met with such hostility. I also, in an earlier post tried to remind people about acting superior and quoting their own research as the gospel. In my lifetime many so called health studies and claims which people have followed for decades are now being refuted. I would never go back to a person who 15 years ago gave me the best advice he could based on the information at the time and chastise him for being wrong now that new information has come to light. I would merely in a dignified manner show him the new data.

Hope this helps.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Hi Rgv2: I saw your post and am trying to respond during lunch break. I am not sure what if any other studies there have been done concerning blueberries or if there is a product out there utilizing blueberries which are sold as a dietary aid. Prior to this thread I never heard of such a claim and have never made such a claim to this day. My several earlier responses were not really to support or put down the use of blueberries or their health benefits. I was merely trying to point out that several posters were unnecessarily antagonistic toward a young woman who made the claim that blueberries were "belly blasters." Many people seemed to have taken pleasure in putting this person down for her claims. My personal opinion is that whether someone makes a claim which someone else agrees with or not, that we could all act in a dignified manner when refuting or supporting such claims. Several posters acted as if she magically pull her statement out from thin air. However, in a 2 second Google search I found the one link discussing the University of Michigan study (Specific information on the study will have to be retrieve from the U of M database as again my goal was not to prove of refute the ladies claim so no additional search was done on my part). I am not sure if this is the information the young lady choose to hang her hat on, or if it was from another site. However, her advice whether one chooses to accept it or not was coming from a place of goodness and should not have been met with such hostility. I also, in an earlier post tried to remind people about acting superior and quoting their own research as the gospel. In my lifetime many so called health studies and claims which people have followed for decades are now being refuted. I would never go back to a person who 15 years ago gave me the best advice he could based on the information at the time and chastise him for being wrong now that new information has come to light. I would merely in a dignified manner show him the new data.

Hope this helps.

Interesting.

However, personally, I don't like your tone.

Please change it.
  • RGv2
    Options

Hope this helps.

Really?

Asking for something to back a claim, wild as it may be, is antagonistic?
  • QuietBloom
    Options

Invalid, no, but is there something more recent and more extensive. This link doesn't lay out the control, length of study, etc... If this was discovered in '09, I'm guessing we'd be hearing about Blueberry extract by now.

All about blueberry extracts, rats, and more:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=blueberry+rats
  • RGv2
    Options

All about blueberry extracts, rats, and more:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=blueberry+rats

Good read....Just flipping through with the search feature, I could only find one regarding fat, and it wasn't about "zapping" belly fat.

But whateve's.
  • kordell70
    kordell70 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    HI Rgv2. I wasn't mad at anyone asking for the lady to provide support for her claims. I think it is actually a good thing as it brings more information to the table. And several people did ask for support from the lady and I applaud them for that wholeheartedly. These message boards are chock full of information which sometimes the support is needed for context or for people like me so that I can truly understand the statement. My issue was only with those who choose to be mean about it. I have not to my knowledge come across a post from you in this thread which was antagonistic in nature so please take no offense to my comments. However, that being said, I have no issue with what I have written before about several other member and stand by my statements 100%. I merely saw several in a row and thought to comment. That is all. Now that I have made my point I think I will retire this thread from my memory.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    HI Rgv2. I wasn't mad at anyone asking for the lady to provide support for her claims. I think it is actually a good thing as it brings more information to the table. And several people did ask for support from the lady and I applaud them for that wholeheartedly. These message boards are chock full of information which sometimes the support is needed for context or for people like me so that I can truly understand the statement. My issue was only with those who choose to be mean about it. I have not to my knowledge come across a post from you so please take no offense to my comments. Nor have I looked at all of the comments in this thread. I merely saw several in a row and thought to comment. That is all. Now that I have made my point I think I will retire this thread from my memory.

I still don't like your tone. It certainly isn't the tone *I* would use in the forums...

...(and since we're all here for the same reason)...

...please change it.
  • RGv2
    Options
    HI Rgv2. I wasn't mad at anyone asking for the lady to provide support for her claims. I think it is actually a good thing as it brings more information to the table. And several people did ask for support from the lady and I applaud them for that wholeheartedly. These message boards are chock full of information which sometimes the support is needed for context or for people like me so that I can truly understand the statement. My issue was only with those who choose to be mean about it. I have not to my knowledge come across a post from you in this thread which was antagonistic in nature so please take no offense to my comments. I merely saw several in a row and thought to comment. That is all. Now that I have made my point I think I will retire this thread from my memory.

I believe there was a difference between what you're seeing as antagonizing, and what may of us are picking up as sarcasm.