Not into weight lifting. Is it really necessary at all?

Options

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Tennis players are lean but definitely not muscular.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Agreed.

OP - is this more about appearance, fitness/ability, or health for you?
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Back in the day distance runners didn't lift or do abs either.........strength training in general and weight lifting in particular offers so many benefits that all you really need to decide is whether or not the benefits outweigh your disinterest in weight lifting. You don't need to spend hours at it to derive a significant benefit and, like some vegetables, you may surprise yourself by growing to enjoy it (or at least the results)

I'm not sure what the rate of muscle loss is for women but for men over 40 it's alarming (about 1% per year and the rate accelerates after 60) and there is a growing body of solid evidence that many of the problems associated with aging can be mitigated through exercise (both cardio and strength)

Well running is not one of the athletes I associate in my mind with building muscle, so...

And I agree with everyone saying it's important to maintain muscle, especially as we age. What I'm trying to figure out is if traditional weight training is necessary to do it.
  • Mslmesq
    Options

Agreed.

OP - is this more about appearance, fitness/ability, or health for you?

Only health. Not the other two.

And with tennis, only, only referring to the forearm. Nothing else on the body.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Back in the day distance runners didn't lift or do abs either.........strength training in general and weight lifting in particular offers so many benefits that all you really need to decide is whether or not the benefits outweigh your disinterest in weight lifting. You don't need to spend hours at it to derive a significant benefit and, like some vegetables, you may surprise yourself by growing to enjoy it (or at least the results)

I'm not sure what the rate of muscle loss is for women but for men over 40 it's alarming (about 1% per year and the rate accelerates after 60) and there is a growing body of solid evidence that many of the problems associated with aging can be mitigated through exercise (both cardio and strength)

Well running is not one of the athletes I associate in my mind with building muscle, so...

And I agree with everyone saying it's important to maintain muscle, especially as we age. What I'm trying to figure out is if traditional weight training is necessary to do it.

No, it's not... not in the sense of barbells, plates, etc.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's "necessary," but it's a darn good idea.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't like doing planks, but I do them anyway. I don't like going to the dentist, but I do. I don't like spinach, but I eat it. Life is full of these decisions. Sounds like you don't want to strength train, and you won't. So, don't. Like everyone else, you decide what your goals are and how you'd like to get there.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    For me, yes, because I'd rather a round hard booty then a jiggly cellulite ridden booty (those are my 2 options), I like to look good naked and I think mucles look awesome naked.
    For women in general, I think it is because women who perform strength training exercises are less likely to have osteoporosis.
  • amandamae61288
    amandamae61288 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    First, there is a difference between being really really lean (like the ballerina), and being muscular.

Second, the health benefits of lifting go far beyond just muscles. Strength for daily life, bone density, etc...

Third, strength training is a fairly broad term. Yes, in most cases weights are the most effective form, but there are a lot of good body weight exercises that can be done. I've done some yoga in my day, but I'm certainly no expert. IME, yoga is great for targeting supporting/stabilizing muscles, but doesn't do much to really strengthen the major muscle groups.

I disagree that ballerinas (professional) are really lean, as opposed to really muscular. They are both in my opinion. Their legs are very muscular.

As far as the benefits, yes I agree. I'm just trying to decide if these benefits need to be obtained from traditional weight lifting, or can be obtained from other exercise...which will also build muscle.

Other examples I think of are ice skaters, swimmers, gymnasts.

I was a gymnast in High School. (Mind you I was not very good and it was High School, so don't equate me with professional/ olympic Gymnasts) I did not "lift" weights (other than my body) and I had extremely muscular legs. I believe body weight training is fine for maintaining muscle while losing weight, or maintaining muscle over the years. We did squats, lunges, various jumps (occasionally with ankle weight- so I dont know if that counts as "lifting"). I do mostly body weight training now and still have pretty awesome muscles in my legs. All that being said, I am planning on starting to lift soon because I want to be better, stronger etc.. Depending on your goals, I have read that body weight training will probably do what you are looking for. Do some research, check with Drs or trainers, possibly nutritionists?
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    I don't like doing planks, but I do them anyway. I don't like going to the dentist, but I do. I don't like spinach, but I eat it. Life is full of these decisions. Sounds like you don't want to strength train, and you won't. So, don't. Like everyone else, you decide what your goals are and how you'd like to get there.

Lol. I actually love doing planks. I can hold one in good form forever. I hate sideovers though.

Yup, I've been struggling with whether or not to reincorporate weight lifting. Part of it is intimidation cause I don't know how anymore. And part of it is worry about spending too much time doing it, cause I used to be really into the whole 4 days a week or more and a split routine. And it's time consuming. Then, last, I think or wonder, is it really necessary when I already like other things I can maintain muscle mass with...or at least I think I can.

I am worried about losing muscle mass as I age though, thus my thinking about all of this.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Lol. I actually love doing planks. I can hold one in good form forever. I hate sideovers though.

Yup, I've been struggling with whether or not to reincorporate weight lifting. Part of it is intimidation cause I don't know how anymore. And part of it is worry about spending too much time doing it, cause I used to be really into the whole 4 days a week or more and a split routine. And it's time consuming. Then, last, I think or wonder, is it really necessary when I already like other things I can maintain muscle mass with...or at least I think I can.

I am worried about losing muscle mass as I age though, thus my thinking about all of this.

I call BS on this.

3-5 sets, 5-10 reps of squats, bench press, rows on Monday, should take about 30 minutes
    3-5 sets, 5-10 reps of deads, pull-ups, overhead press, should take about 30 minutes

No reason to do time consuming iso work or several day per week splits.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Let's face it, if you dislike lifting, you're not going to do it, whether we tell you its necessary or not.

I believe strength training is critical to being healthy. It is especially critical for women, as they get older, for bone health (i.e. lifting a heavy load strengthens your bones, not just your muscles).

And just for the sake of keeping it real, those ballerinas you're talking about have been training and eating a certain way for most of their lives. You're not going to get a body like that from a few months of yoga and pilates.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I despise going to the gym and lifting weights. I find it fantastically boring and tedious. I know many people love it, but it just ain't my thing. So, about 6 weeks ago, I started going to Crossfit. I now am really enjoying lifting heavy weight and I am starting to see some changes and results. I have always been a believer in the benefits of lifting but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. What I would tell you OP is to find some way to incorporate weights that you enjoy. You WILL see a benefit.
  • amandamae61288
    amandamae61288 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's not as if OP is saying, "can I just do cardio?", or "do I really need muscles?". She is doing work-outs that do focus on muscles. Body weight training is an effective way to improve muscle health and build muscle. She isn't asking how to be the next strong woman championship body builder. To maintain a balanced healthy lifestyle all that is required is some kind of strength training- this can be met with yoga and pilates. I would add other body weight exercises, too (squats, lunges, wall-sits, push-ups, planks, tricep dips, what have you).
  • Mslmesq
    Options

I call BS on this.

3-5 sets, 5-10 reps of squats, bench press, rows on Monday, should take about 30 minutes
    3-5 sets, 5-10 reps of deads, pull-ups, overhead press, should take about 30 minutes

You might be right. This was in my 20's though. And one, might have just taken me longer. And two, my boyfriend at the time practically lived at the gym. So guess where I would go a lot too.

But I also know my personality and when I get into something, sometimes I really throw myself into it completely. So it is something I actually know about myself and consider.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Let's face it, if you dislike lifting, you're not going to do it, whether we tell you its necessary or not.

I believe strength training is critical to being healthy. It is especially critical for women, as they get older, for bone health (i.e. lifting a heavy load strengthens your bones, not just your muscles).

And just for the sake of keeping it real, those ballerinas you're talking about have been training and eating a certain way for most of their lives. You're not going to get a body like that from a few months of yoga and pilates.

I had the same thought, but figured if I said it I'd get in trouble and I'm already on 2 strikes.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I call BS on this.

You might be right. This was in my 20's though. And one, might have just taken me longer. And two, my boyfriend at the time practically lived at the gym. So guess where I would go a lot too.

But I also know my personality and when I get into something, sometimes I really throw myself into it completely. So it is something I actually know about myself and consider.

Sometimes the hardest thing to do in life is to discern between an excuse and a reason. As you're thinking about why you should or shouldn't lift, make sure you are separating the reasons from the excuses.
  • Mslmesq
    Options

I had the same thought, but figured if I said it I'd get in trouble and I'm already on 2 strikes.

No, I'm actually appreciating and considering your comments. And if I wasn't torn on this, I wouldn't have posted to begin with. So...no strikes. You're good.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

QFT.

Find some sort of strength training that you do enjoy doing and do that. Body weight training, for example. The important part is for it to be progressive.

The debate on whether or not dancers & gymnasts lift - they may not. It may be all body weight. But what you need to remember is that they are increasing their ability to do difficult moves and requiring more out of their body as they learn and train. That is progression. They continue to do a more difficult body weight workout regularly.....they don't stop at a cartwheel.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    As women are more prone to osteoporosis you should practice resistance training of some sort to keep your bone density normal to high. You dont have to to 5 reps or 8 reps. maximum of 15 reps per set imo.

you should be tired after each set, not doing it with ease