Did you keep or get rid of your fat clothes?

Options
glocke12
glocke12 Posts: 21
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Starting to develop a collection of clothes that no longer fit...(too big thankfully)

I've been up and down in my weight the past 15 years or so, with a waist size ranging from 33 to 42. In light of that I am tempted to keep my "fat clothes" , even though I think this time I am going to keep the weight off for good..

Replies

• janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I have American sizes 4-10 in my closet...at one point I had some 12/14's and I did give those away...im going thur this week and will probably give away any and all double digits I have left....im cheap.....so I would rather not eat then have to buy more clothes if I gain weight.....or then again I can go to goodwill and get fat clothes again IF needed...but I hope that doesn't happen!!:flowerforyou:
  • notdieting
    notdieting Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    After years of yo-yo and fad dieting, I finally feel this is 'the one'. I have found a ONE WAY trip to a new, slimmer me so this time, for the first time, I lost my first 20lb and then had a total wardrobe clear out. I tried on every item of clothes I owned and if it didn't fit or was very unflattering, out it went. I AM NOT ever going to fit them again so why waste the space storing them?

The pile I was left with was pretty small but I am adding some new bits and pieces as I go. Actually, one of the frustrating things about this process is that I cannot afford new clothes for each stage so even now, I am wearing clothes that fitted nicely after that first 20lb lost and now don't fit after the second 20lb lost!

I guess if this is the worst thing about weight loss, I can deal with it. It is so nice to have some clothes that are too big for a change, rather than too small but it would be nice to be able to show off my newly found waist a bit more! Lol! :laugh:
  • swindsong
    Options
    I kept my biggest trousers to remind me to the past. And it's good to have a spare tent lol
  • mblewis13
    Options
    Get rid of them! If you change your lifestyle, you will keep your weight in check. There are plenty of others that could benefit from your donation of clothes as well. Also, if you have professional clothes in decent shape there are likely programs in your community for donations for individuals that could use them for interviews. :happy:
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was going to keep mine for " just in case " but a friend persuaded me to donate them to charity so I haven't got anything to go back into !! Since starting mfp I've lost 2 dress sizes and nearly a 3rd as an having to use a belt to hold the trousers up !!
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    I'm wondering how long you kept them before you decided "ok, I'm gonna get rid of them"
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Once it's too big for me to wear, I get rid of it and do not want to fit into it ever again.
  • cytrus
    cytrus Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I didn't initially, and that was good because I got pregnant. But the weight shifted post pregnancy so some larger items still don't fit right. I plan to toss as I lose this time around. No turning back!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I got rid of mine immediately. I wanted to completely commit and not give myself an escape route. It was a "burn the ships" moment. No turning back.
  • AbsyPernet
    Options
    BIN IT, I don't want to go back to that bigger size ever again:flowerforyou:

PLUS, I have to make rooms for the new, smaller clothes that I have to buy. LOL
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If it is too big, get rid of it. If you always have something that fits, if you get fat again, you wont realize it. Don't let yourself have a safety net. It is better to have a week of feeling like a busted can of biscuits, than wake up one month and discover you've gained ten pounds.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I am getting ready to move, and as I have 3 closets and 4 large totes full of "goal" clothes, I will be getting rid of anything too big or unflattering or that won't work for my new lifestyle (moving to a different state/climate and returning to a very business-attire workplace). I have a long way to go, but already many items are just not flattering and I want to look my best - I'd rather have just a few things to choose from that fit well instead of this perpetual pawing through my closet in search of something to wear....
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    For my biggest clothes, I donated to Goodwill. For the clothes in between my goal weight and fat(test) clothes, I held on to them for a year. I've been gradually taking my favorite pieces to have them tailored to fit me at this size. Some pieces are too good to give up!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Keeping 10-12 but all larger sizes are gone.....motivation!
  • morning_joy
    morning_joy Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I plan on getting rid of them as soon as they get too big. I have kept them in the past and I have let myself grow back into them. I don't want that option again. I have lost enough inches so far that I am down a size but I was only wearing stretchy things so I have nothing to give away yet. I will soon though!!

As far as affording new clothes...I have a system. I save up money I would have spent on stupid food related items...candy at the movie theater, sweet coffee drinks, desserts, candy on vacation. When I get to $100 I go shopping but I do it in a smart way. I wait for the Cold Water Creek's Outlet sale they have about once a month. They put all their outlet items on for 60% off for one day that way, an outfit that would have cost $100 is now on sale for $15-$20. I shop in a size one or two lower than the one I am in. For my $100 I can usually get about $500 worth of clothes. It doesn't matter that they are for a season that was past because it is going to take me a month or two to get into them. I put a new outfit in a size smaller than I wear on the back of my door and look at it every day. When I am feeling like I want to give up or binge, I go and try on that outfit and see the progress I have made. I can't wait for the next thing I can wear!
  • funkim55
    funkim55 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You have to decide whether this is a lifestyle change, or is this another one of your great diets (smile)!!!

Personally, I have done both. Therefore, I have had to do major shopping for smaller clothes (when I weighed less), and I had to buy new bigger clothes (when I gained weight).

Currently, I'm adding small amounts of new clothes for my weight loss; my daughter told me to get rid of the large clothes I don't need!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...this time I am going to keep the weight off for good..

If you really mean this, then you don't need your old clothes. Donate them. You'll be helping yourself and someone else. Getting rid of the old clothes is a concrete symbol that you won't be going back. That's not an option anymore. I donated mine years ago and I haven't needed them back. :flowerforyou:
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them! If you change your lifestyle, you will keep your weight in check. There are plenty of others that could benefit from your donation of clothes as well. Also, if you have professional clothes in decent shape there are likely programs in your community for donations for individuals that could use them for interviews. :happy:
    I sure wish this were true, but I've done that and regained the weight anyway, just bought new stuff.

That said, I no longer have space in my closet or my brain for multiple versions of me. I kept one pair of my pants from my biggest days to try on every so often, and otherwise am shedding as I reduce.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna keep mine and just wear them as nightgowns.

Edit: Uh, but the pants I'll definitely give to Goodwill.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    For the first time, I brought them all to the red cross second hand shop. I will never be needing them again.

What is still in my closet is already getting to be too big and will also be gone by next spring and replaced with normal sized clothing.
This discussion has been closed.