TOO CHUBBY FOR MY TWENTIES (OCTOBER CHALLENGE!)!

Options

Replies

• sophieg77
    Options
    Good to hear I am not the only one!!

:)

It makes me stronger to say no!

It's bad enough that my boyfriend has the metabolism of a 12 year old boy and can consume a whole block of chocolate in front of me. (which he did btw, last night, in bed!) But then to get to work and there is crispy pastry waiting on desk, it's too much! When I complained about it to my mum she didn't quite get it, she said - "oh how awful your kind friends bought you some cake - must be horrible to work there". It's horrible when I have to somehow sneak the food into the trash or worse - eat it because i feel bad if i say no.

I totally agree with the alcohol thing. The biggest thing that put weight on for me were the years of drinking at university. It's taken a fairly big effort to try and avoid going out all the time, just to reduce the temptation. I have also given up smoking and friends who smoke are THE WORST. smoking in front of you, joking about giving you one, 'you can have one, go on, just one'.

I shouldn't bag out all friends though. lots of friends offer me so much great support! Especially all the MFP friends. And this group!

love to all the October challengers!

Here is a carrot and fat free dip (and not cake) gift for you :)

xoxoxo
  • tabika05
    tabika05 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all who are doing well today!

I am doing great this week...first week in so long that I've felt motivated daily.

I did get asked out on a date though and am nervous. I've been single for 3 years and HATE dates! I like who I am but not how I look right now. I don't want to sit there and not eat anything or have fun because I'm counting calories in my head and worrying about going to bed so I can wake up early to run. AHHHH!!! hehe..silly girl that I am.

Hope everyone is doing well!

XOXOXO to all my fitness sisters!

Tab
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Tab - Girl, I hear you! I was single for 4 years before I met my current boyfriend! total fluke that we met too - I was very happy on my own, doing my own thing, and dates were *not* my forte. Its hard not to tell every single person you've ever met you are trying to lose weight (since it seems like everyone's trying to sabotage you :grumble: ) but the reality is that a lot of times you don't want it to dominate the conversation, or to stick out like a sore thumb! So I tend to just exercise like MAD when I want to treat myself and then try to make healthier choices without seeming like a calorie-nazi :bigsmile: Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But for one date you can definitely make an exception. Especially if the guy is worth it!

Sophie - Gahhh Boys and their metabolisms! I know! My friend's birthday was today and I watched him consume SO much trash and none of it will go to his *kitten*, like it would to me! The good news is that for the most part, I no longer even want to consumer that junk because I know how *kitten* it is for my body and being healthy is my number 1 priority! Saying "no" is hard at first but in the long run you feel so good about your choices and that over-rides it all - Skinny folks will never understand how much of a pain their "generosity" can be! :laugh: I also gave up smoking + drinking when I started on my weight loss journey (1 year ago) and it's been an uphill battle... I've stopped going to the bars altogether (except the night club I work at - loads of fun there, ugh) to avoid the temptation of alcohol, but smoking still gets me all the time. It's tough! Just have to stay strong. Running has helped to motivate me - I want to be able to run as far and fast as I can and it's a great deterrent when I feel like smoking.

Anyway, you guys both sound like you're doing awesome! I'm so glad to have you guys here :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    Hope everyone's having a great week. Lots to look forward to. This Monday should be good to me on the scale (I hope!).
    Take care - and as Hal Johnson and Joanne McCloud would say - Stay fit and have fun!! heheh
    -Meag :heart:
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    hey all, glad to see everyone is having successes!! so today i had a dressing room moment!! i had to get dress pants for an interview i had today, since the ones i have are fortunately too big (woohoo!) so i went to NY&Co, one of my fave stores, and was able to fit into an 8!!! first time ever in my adult life i've been in single digits.. it was short lived though b/c the 8's were cropped pants, which are no longer appropriate with the weather. i ended up with a size 10 in another cut/style of actual long pants.. i couldn't believe it.. i think i took 10 min in there just staring lol.
  • emmyworthy
    emmyworthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Wow all of you are such an inspiration to me!!!!

Meag- Well done on your 10 minute mile!!! I can't even run for a minute yet! Can't wait until I can get my body to do that!!!! You rock, doing 30 minutes of spinning and still having strength in your legs to run a mile!!! Way to go!!!

Sophie- If you are strong enough to sneak bad food into the bin you shouldn't feel horrible!! I'd be so proud of myself if I managed that!! And definitely don't feel bad saying no!! You've done so well to quit smoking as well as lose weight!

Tab- Have an awesome time on your date! Is there any way you could plan something which wouldn't involve food so then you wouldn't have to worry about counting calories! See if there are any fun activities around that would make a good date!

Allie- Way to go getting into those trousers!!! I would be staring at myself for that long too!!!

Keep it up everyone=]
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    My goal has kind of changed to doing the Wii Fit for 30 minutes a day. I think I'm still not comfortable enough with myself to go to the gym. I live on-campus and I don't know.
  • meagalayne
    Options
    hey all, glad to see everyone is having successes!! so today i had a dressing room moment!! i had to get dress pants for an interview i had today, since the ones i have are fortunately too big (woohoo!) so i went to NY&Co, one of my fave stores, and was able to fit into an 8!!! first time ever in my adult life i've been in single digits.. it was short lived though b/c the 8's were cropped pants, which are no longer appropriate with the weather. i ended up with a size 10 in another cut/style of actual long pants.. i couldn't believe it.. i think i took 10 min in there just staring lol.

Ahhhh AWESOME!! God, that is SUCH a good feeling :bigsmile: I bet you were psyched! Plus, I just have to say that I love NY&Co for their dress clothes. I live in Canada but any time I drive down to NY to go shopping I always go to their store in Buffalo. So inexpensive (compared to anything up here :grumble: ) and lots of good stuff. Keep it up, Allie - In no time you'll be grabbing 8's all over the place. The hardest part is going to be convincing yourself that you're actually as small as you've gotten. A lot of times I end up picking up sizes that are way too big for me because I've still got the mind-set of a size 14.... Sigh. It never ends!

Emmy - Really glad you're feeling inspired :) Hope your weight loss is going well too!

Insky - That's a great goal to set for yourself - 30 mins of exercise a day is a perfect way to start. Similarly, you could set that you want to walk for 30 mins a day. You definitely don't need a gym to lose weight! I haven't had a gym membership in 8 years and I managed to lose all my weight without it. Just use what you've got - Great job so far!

As for me... Today is supposed to be my rest day, I think. I decided that yesterday. But I really want to have more cals to eat (I must admit, I'm a total foodie and can't stand eating only 1290 cals a day...) so I may go out and run anyway. Just a slow jog so as not to screw my legs up too bad. My long run is tentatively scheduled for tomorrow - It's supposed to be on Sundays but I have a 5km race on Monday so I am going to rest on Sunday if I can stand to. We'll see what happens. I know there's a cardio kick boxing class at the gym I've got a trial membership with, so I may do that tomorrow instead. Or maybe I'll just go crazy and do them both LOL doubtful!

Take care everyone!!
    -Meag:heart:
  • miss_amy
    miss_amy Posts: 351
    Options
    hey all!

allie- that's so great you got into a size 8! one of my goals is to be in single digit pants, so i could imagine you were ecstatic! good for you! :)

we're all doing so great! also, yay for it almost being the weekend! :)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    My goal has kind of changed to doing the Wii Fit for 30 minutes a day. I think I'm still not comfortable enough with myself to go to the gym. I live on-campus and I don't know.

inskydiamonds -
    I don't go to the gym either! It's not a big at all. In fact, I actively abhor gyms and gym like settings. For me (I want to stress that so as not to dampen the enthusiam for those of you who do like it) it's just a recipe for stagnation and bordom. Wii fit is cool because its interactive and gives you something to shoot for. I took up running this summer and that's worked well for me because there is an endless series of goals and achievments. Go with what makes you feel good - just like a job, working out is a big commitment of time- you should enjoy it!

Anyway, the main bullet point is, Wii Fit for 30 min a day is an excellent goal!

My update: Last night, I just couldn't resist getting on the scale-- my weigh in isn't until Sat. but I've been doing sooooo well, I just wanted to see. (I was also the kid who used to try to stay up and "catch Santa"- not really surprising) My EVENING weight was 169.6! It's a weird milestone but being definitively under 170, at all times of the day or night, it just kind of makes it real...if that makes any sense whatsoever. Anywho, this coming week (10/11 on) I am going to move from 1x a week strength training to 2x off set by 3x a week running.

WOOT
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Is it too late to join???? I hope not! I started a goal to do 30-45 min of cardio 5x a week. Have done it every day except one so far this month!

miss_amy: To reach a 25lb total loss. - 7.4lbs away from goal! :)
    meagalayne: To reach 135lbs (maybe a bit ambitious), complete my 10k race, and be able to do 10 (!!) push-ups
    H_82: To lose at least 10 lbs
    KristyF08: 12lbs away from goal weight!!!
    meggonkgonk: Reach 165lbs, run in 1st 5K race
    cshaffer213: Reach a total of 20 lbs weight loss (@ 8lbs today)
    aprildauer: To lose 10lbs.
    MTDork87: To complete the 30 Day Shred and get to 130 (7 lbs away)
    inskydiamonds: start going to the gym at least once a week
    sophieg77: to lose 3ks! (7lbs i think)
    Luckie712: To lose at least 10 pounds and stick with Slim in 6
    BioQueen: To be down to 165 by the end of October
    Allie7383: To begin and stick with the TurboFire schedule for Oct (and beyond), and get into the 160's (about 5lbs to go!)
    TheNewStacie: Get all 5 cardio days in every week, Lose at least 5 lbs
    Leela30: Lose those stubborn 10 lbs
    Tabika05: To fit into my sexy jeans by Christmas!
    Jmmtaylor- To lose at least 8 pounds!! (will be 15 total so far)
    TheKitsune6- To lose at least 15 pounds
    Lauratx22- To lose 10 pounds..-2lbs...8 more to go now!
    efmalcolm- Lose 10 pounds this first month!
    runner915- To be down to 163 by Halloween and to run the Halloween 5k in 26:00
    AshleyLEldred: To lose an additional 10 lbs. Be down below the 270 range. I also want to hit the gym a minimum of 4 times per week.
    clothes_of_sand- lose 7 pounds (to put me down at 140 even) and be ready to move to level 3 of the 30 day shred.
    ashleighk2010- To lose 10lbs (a total of 20 in two months) and be around 155. And CLIMB A MOUNTAIN. =]
    orange_avocado- Lose 5lbs and burn 1350 calories each week.
    lblocker23- to reach my goal weight of 128 lbs by December 25th
    emmyworthy- By the end of October I want to be under 200lbs!!!! -Oct 1- down to 215 only 15lbs left to shift before end of the month=]
    ameliafellenz- my goal is to lose 8 pounds this month
    coatadaycarrie- To get down to 145 by Halloween
    muzikenergy - 10lbs by Halloween, gym at least 4 days a week!
    spellbinder25 - Lose 8 lbs by end of October, exercise 5 days a week and eat healthy (= avoid desserts)!
    iwannaheartlife - Lose 10lbs by Halloween and exercise 5 days a week!!! Good Luck!!!
    kgprncss01- 10lbs by halloween sounds awesome! I would love to get one of those cute costumes!
    Steph_135 - Reach 180 lbs by Halloween!
    happy_jax - To lose the 0.8kg I put on while on holiday and once more reach my goal weight. Develop a 'New lifestyle!'
    foxygrl441- to get under 200
    abbracadabra - to lose 10lbs by the end of October and be under 200lbs
    Uconncoed- to lose 10 pounds - making my weight 162
    Lostalykat- To lose 5lbs- And make it to the AM gym class
    CoryIda - 30-45 minutes of cardio 5x/week
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I tried the AM strength training class this week and it kicked my butt! I tried to run yesterday but my body was too tired so I was only able to get in 25mins. But hey I still ran even though I was tired, I just had to quit earlier than I wanted to( my body was telling me no through a gnarly side ache, followed by a aching knee.) Peeked at the scale today and it doesn't look good for tomorrow. I am trying to not get discouraged, I had a bachlorette party on saturday and a lounge day sunday but got right back to my workout monday. Lets hope tomorrow is good! If not.....O well there is another week!
  • lulu_beans
    lulu_beans Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    meagalayne: To reach 135lbs (maybe a bit ambitious), complete my 10k race, and be able to do 10 (!!) push-ups
    Allie7383: To begin and stick with the TurboFire schedule for Oct (and beyond), and get into the 160's (about 5lbs to go!)
    AshleyLEldred: To lose an additional 10 lbs. Be down below the 270 range. I also want to hit the gym a minimum of 4 times per week.
    clothes_of_sand- lose 7 pounds (to put me down at 140 even) and be ready to move to level 3 of the 30 day shred.
    ashleighk2010- To lose 10lbs (a total of 20 in two months) and be around 155. And CLIMB A MOUNTAIN. =]
    emmyworthy- By the end of October I want to be under 200lbs!!!! -Oct 1- down to 215 only 15lbs left to shift before end of the month=]
    spellbinder25 - Lose 8 lbs by end of October, exercise 5 days a week and eat healthy (= avoid desserts)!
    iwannaheartlife - Lose 10lbs by Halloween and exercise 5 days a week!!! Good Luck!!!
    kgprncss01- 10lbs by halloween sounds awesome! I would love to get one of those cute costumes!
    happy_jax - To lose the 0.8kg I put on while on holiday and once more reach my goal weight. Develop a 'New lifestyle!'
    lulu_beans - 10 pounds :)
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Hey everyone! I tried the AM strength training class this week and it kicked my butt! I tried to run yesterday but my body was too tired so I was only able to get in 25mins. But hey I still ran even though I was tired, I just had to quit earlier than I wanted to( my body was telling me no through a gnarly side ache, followed by a aching knee.) Peeked at the scale today and it doesn't look good for tomorrow. I am trying to not get discouraged, I had a bachlorette party on saturday and a lounge day sunday but got right back to my workout monday. Lets hope tomorrow is good! If not.....O well there is another week!

I had a *really* tough run today as well - Barely made it 2 miles without keeling over! Some days are better than others, that's for sure. Just have to keep at it and hope that tomorrow goes well. Aiming for 4.5 miles but we'll see what my body is doing.

As for the scale... Ugh. I feel like it's my arch nemesis right now. I'm extremely nervous about Monday, especially because I'm going to be resting my legs up a bit for my race Monday morning, and so Ill have to be very careful about what I eat so as not to ruin all my hard work this week. On Sat my boyfriend and I have a hike planned, and the good news is that his scrawny little frame doesn't require much nourishment, so I usually eat less when I am with him. Sunday could be dicey though since it's Canadian Thanksgiving and my parents are having a big dinner at home... We'll see what happens, I guess. Good news is that I work nights on Sat so I can sleep through most of the day and avoid all temptation.

Anyone else on this thread a Canuck? If so, how are you planning on making it through the long weekend?

-Meag :heart:
  • meagalayne
    Options

Hi Lulu_beans! Welcome :D And welcome to you too CoryIda - It's never too late to join!
  • spellbinder25
    spellbinder25 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I didn't go the gym the last 2 days & have been craving chocolate desserts as I wasn't feeling to well. I even ended up having one last night and was in no mood to go the gym today too until I read all your updates. I'm not ready to ditch the remaining dessert that's in my fridge but will definitely workout for an hour today! And will ensure that I do so this weekend too even though weekends are normally my rest days.

Thank you all :)
  • miss_amy
    miss_amy Posts: 351
    Options
    sounds like many of us are battling our scales this week. i've been trying SO hard to not let the number on the scale rule my life, but it is. i've managed to cut down my scale-viewing to only a few days a week now (i used to weigh myself everyday) so that's good but i didn't like the number i saw this morning. i get so discouraged when i see the number higher than i think it should be. BUT! i will not give up. i still have a few days before my weigh in so hopefully i'll like the number by then. :)

stupid scale lol
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    i get so discouraged when i see the number higher than i think it should be. BUT! i will not give up. i still have a few days before my weigh in so hopefully i'll like the number by then. :)

stupid scale lol
    Are you taking measurements too? I've only lost 5 lbs, but I'm back to where I was in terms of measurements, which is really inspiring, so I hope you can find inspiration in that too, and maybe not just the scale. :smile:
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options

i totally hear ya on that feeling as well! i joined a gym once, and it was only for women, which lasted 3 months. i've purposely stayed away from gyms b/c i feel so self conscious, like everyone is looking at me.. also, i know i won't go. the interest will fade after a few weeks and then i'd just be wasting my money.. when i first started seriously trying to lose lbs, i wanted to start jogging, but had the same feelings about going to the park and doing anything other than walking... as an alternative i made a playlist in my itunes and started jogging in place in my living room lol.. when it was nice out i'd put in my ipod and stand in my backyard on the concrete and do the same thing.. i'd make it kinda fun b/c i'd do little kicks and end up dancing like a fool sometimes, but who cares, b/c it's my house! i eventually psyched myself up and went to the park, and after doing that a few times, i'm now able to jog 2 miles, which i've never ever been able to before.. even now, i prefer to work out at home with videos for the sake of feeling comfortable.. whatever works for you girl, do it!!

and thanks for the encouragement guys!! i'm semi-addicted to shopping, and can't wait to finally go to stores and try things on and not be upset in the dressing rooms :tongue:
  • emmyworthy
    emmyworthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Friday weigh in...... I've been sooo good this week doing more workouts than I have since school and my calorie intake has been just under everyday=] So when I got on the scales this morning and I'd lost another 2 pounds I was happy but I've gotta admit I thought it might be more. Then again I am feeling really bloated and gross today because of a certain monthly gift we all share=[
    So losing 2 pounds while I'm retaining water is probably something to be proud of! I'm not gonna let this feeling hold me down, I'm going swimming again tonight and this weekend is going to be a quiet one so no extra calories will be coming my way!!!

Amy- I used to be like you weighing everyday but I found that it discouraged me too much. I'd be really light one day and then the next I would be 2 pounds heavier and I would turn to chocolate!! I'm sure by the time you have your weigh in you'll be at a number that puts a smile on your face=]

emmyworthy- By the end of October I want to be under 200lbs!!!! -Oct 8-another 2lbs gone,13 to go!
  • cshaffer213
    Options
    Congrats to all who are doing well today!

I am doing great this week...first week in so long that I've felt motivated daily.

I did get asked out on a date though and am nervous. I've been single for 3 years and HATE dates! I like who I am but not how I look right now. I don't want to sit there and not eat anything or have fun because I'm counting calories in my head and worrying about going to bed so I can wake up early to run. AHHHH!!! hehe..silly girl that I am.

Hope everyone is doing well!

XOXOXO to all my fitness sisters!

Tab

Well congrats on doing great this week and feeling motivated!! And of course, on the date!! I think if you have done really good this week and have only indulged in healthy food, it's ok to go on a date and not go crazy counting calories in your head. Just don't go overboard. Choose your meal wisely. Besides, it might even come off as impressive that your eating healthy, and your showing him from the very beginning that your a healthy eater. So best of luck on your date, let us know how it goes! Enjoy!!