Things People Say When You've Lost Weight

Options

Replies

• missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Yep. But I have learned to smile or nod to acknowledge that I have heard them, but I don't respond.

One of my best friends had a hard time with my weight loss in the beginning and often made similar comments. I think secretly she was afraid that I would no longer be that fun friend who liked to try new restaurants with her, or indulge in the occasional Crumbs cupcake. But, I am still that girl. I have just learned to do both of those things with balance. I think the turning point was when I finally explained the euphoric feeling I was getting every time I tried on clothes. Whatever phrasing I used, she was able to relate it to things she found pleasure in in her life.

Do you. Keep finding joy in reaching your own personal goals. The happiness you exude will draw people to you. :flowerforyou:
  • divainsneakers
    divainsneakers Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    ""Even one of my very best friends (who I discuss diet, exercise, etc. with all the time) told me that I needed to stop because I'm getting "too skinny". I still weigh 10lbs more than she does and we are the same height, so however that works! And she's still complaining that she needs to lose 5-10lbs. But I know she doesn't mean anything bad by it - I know we both tend to be self critical - so while it's easy to think the worst - that they are out to sabotage you, in reality I know I tend to think my friends look amazing and can't see the 5 or 10lbs they think they need to lose, but I can see it on myself. Even when we are basically the same size and that makes no sense.... """

**Glad you can see this in such a positive light. When I've lost weight it caused a tremendous amount of jealousy among friends. I guess they weren't real friends! All they knew was I wasn't the fat friend holding coats and purses anymore and that was too much change and quite intimidating for them.
  • greyhoundphile
    greyhoundphile Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've now had 3 separate co-workers come into my office privately and ask, "what's your secret?" and expect some easy solution. I say "I count calories and exercise" and they all walked out disgruntled. But I still prefer that to the "you're wasting away?" weirdo compliment. The best ones are people who just say "you look great." :)
  • Laststand2011
    Laststand2011 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    How about.. "Oh, that's just a drop in the bucket for you isn't it?"
  • rosellasweet
    rosellasweet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I always get, Are you sick? or Are you trying? If I lost 30 pounds because I was sick or not trying, then I would go see a doctor STAT. Is it so hard to believe that someone who is fat would not want to be fat anymore?
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I lose at a small rate so the thing that irritates me is that when people `congratulate` me on my loss, they also add I could have done it faster; or that they know someone who lost the same weight in half the time; or that I surely eat a lot for a person on diet.
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi total agree with the comments on here. I have still got 3 stones to lose and I get people saying stuff like oh be careful you make yourself ill, or why do you need to lose weight you look fine.:huh: I am classed as oveweight, obese whatever you want to call it. This is about you and your health. Also get asked what is your secret, usually smile and say there is no secret its called hard work and a change of eating habits. Well done you for losing your weight so far:smile:
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    Options
    WHAT PILL DID YOU TAKE?

The reply to this is simple! "The pill called getoffmylazyassandworkforit!" :D

The best response ever!!!!
  • KirstyB1978
    Options
    I get mostly positive comments from my colleagues and friends x I am still fat and far from a healthy weight but I am proud of how far I have come x
  • tomich54
    tomich54 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    At first I din't know how to take the attention and all the questions! But to be perfectly honest - I take it all in stride! For the last 14 years the only compliment I would ever recieve was "Oh, you have such a pretty face" Ok - we all now that means aka - you would be pretty if you lost weight. Every time I heard that it felt like I died a little inside! :sad:

So when people ask "what my secret is", "did you have surgery", "when will you stop", "your half the size you were", I take it in stride! I don't care what anyone else thinks! I'm doing this for me! I enjoy being able to smile for no reason :bigsmile: I even get a bigger smile when I realize my thighs don't rub together, I can control myself, I can lift/ leg press more than I weigh! I've dealt w/ jealous people that will no longer speak to me because I'm smaller than them now. My thoughts are this - if you can't accept me for who I am - I have no place for you, or your negativity! Haters gonna hate! :blushing:
  • Charliejl82
    Options
    You can't win with people. I've never been overweight - just a bit out of shape. But recently I've upped the weights and focussed on my nutrition so I look pretty good. However I constantly get comments at work etc from people "you're not eating cake? Why not your thin you can eat what you like?" Urrrr NO it's because I don't eat cake and watch every mouthful of food that I'm not overweight. Ultimately people are lazy and are just waiting for a magic remedy to stay slim rather than work hard for it.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My dad said something amusing to me the other day. He said, "You've really lost some weight. So have I! We probably weigh about the same now."

Did I mention that not only has Dad not lost any weight, he weighs close to 300lbs and I'm tiptoeing my way to onderland? I know he said it only to make himself feel better, but it still amuses me. Last Christmas, he bought me a couple of shirts and each one was his size - men's 3x when I was only wearing a woman's 1x. I don't let things like that bother me anymore.

My mom said something a lot nicer. She told me that my butt was finally shrinking.
  • thinfitfabulous
    thinfitfabulous Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    "I don't want you to have an eating disorder."

Thanks, me too, but saying no thank you to numerous cupcake offers isn't disordered eating- it's healthy eating!:bigsmile:
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    "I don't want you to have an eating disorder."

Thanks, me too, but saying no thank you to numerous cupcake offers isn't disordered eating- it's healthy eating!:bigsmile:

It is amazing how turning down a cupcake is tragic to those enjoying the cupcakes.. Seriously, I think eating whatever you are offered is the worse disorder I ever had. Glad I am past that.
  • LionessWhispers
    LionessWhispers Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Saving for reminders later - love all of these!
  • bridgew24
    bridgew24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I get "you need fattening up!" from my boyfriends family whenever I'm over for dinner and refuse seconds. I love his family but arghhhh don't pressure me into eating food I don't want!
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    “You look so beautiful now!” from literally…everyone.
    That seems like a great thing to hear a couple times but when it’s all at once, it’s like….ok so I am only beautiful when I am thinner? I didn’t dislike the way I looked when I was heavier, I just knew it wasn’t healthy.

So, I was taken aback when I “suddenly” got “beautiful”

No, I’ve always been beautiful. You’re just a jerk.
  • nicolesab1978
    Options
    Yes, it's driving me crazy at work at the moment. I hate people saying I can't get over how much weight you've lost, you look good. You must feel so much better now. Have you been sick etc etc. I think it's hurtful to imply that before I didn't look or feel good.
    I don't mind if people just say you've lost weight or you look good. I also can't stand how they say it loudly in front of groups of people. It's making me want to stay away from groups in case I need to explain myself to a room full of people.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I hate 'Looks like your surgery went well.'
    Now I have nothing against the bypass surgeries...my mother had one. My mother also went through some intense pain for the surgery, and then again for her tummy tuck. I hope she is happy now...but seeing what those surgeries did...cuttin people in half and stretching their skin...I decided no surgery for me.

No one believes it's diet and movement, no one.
    Which makes me kinda sad.
  • karolinacorrea
    karolinacorrea Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've been on the other end sometimes. I remember having said "you look just fine" at least 2 times to different people, when in reality I think that they still have some way to go . It does not come from jealousy, I guess I do it because saying "you are doing great but you still have to lose more" will be really mean.

I'll be more careful in the future.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!