Does anybody else drive a stick shift?

Options

Replies

• snejkaxo
    snejkaxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sorry for disappointing you, but you are not the only one. :) The only automatic car I drive is rental. And not out of choice!
  • Grendel07
    Grendel07 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'm a female that owns two manual cars: Mustang GT and Focus.
    Many are suprised I drive stick. :) Its the only way I would ever drive a car.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Can I ... yes my husband's car only comes in stick and with his chocies in vehicles probably always only will. Am I good at it, nope because I do not do it very often.

Im a nanny and do a lot of driving for work so having an auto is great for me.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my standard shift. When I bought my new car in the spring, the dealer told me only about 10% of the population still drives standard. I was irritated that fewer and fewer cars come standard. You can't even ORDER standard transmission is most cars these days. This makes me very, very sad. Probably, by the time I need to buy another car, there will be no more standard shift cars.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'd own zero automatic vehicles if I could. It was impossible to find my Silverado with a stick though so that's my one exception currently.
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Learned to drive a 3 speed manual potato truck @ 14 (yep, country boy). Im 41 now - it is the ONLY way to drive....ever see a NASCAR car or a Formula 1 or ANY race car that was automatic? Jus sayin... DRIVE STICK!!
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    i don't know how to drive stick but i'm willing to learn.but i have any one to teach me :sad:
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    We should make a non US equivalent saying "Does anybody else drive an automatic?" :laugh:

But yes, I drive a "stick shift", and a toe shift if referring to the motorbike :glasses:
  • singlefemalelawyer
    Options
    I love driving standard! I actually learned to drive with a standard and have never looked back since! It is second nature to me and I am always looking for the clutch or stick when I'm driving automatic - it feels so wrong.
  • redsnapper8
    redsnapper8 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm from the UK where no one drives an automatic. I can't imagine why anyone would want an automatic, takes away all the fun : - )
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    i don't know how to drive stick but i'm illing to learn. i have know one to teach me :sad:

WHAAAATTTT??? You don't know how? That's ok. I'll teach you. I taught my brother, I taught my sister and now my son thinks I should teach him...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    In Britain I drove a manual and always preferred to. Since living in Bahrain though, due to driving a left hand drive car (British cars are right hand drive) I drive an automatic in Bahrain, because the idea of changing gears with my right hand, but still using my left foot for the clutch, seems like a bad idea. I feel like if I switch sides on one I have to switch sides on the other too (and all this is on top of driving on the opposite side of the road)

I like manuals because you have more control over when you change gears, e.g. over-revving to get up speed if necessary... although the automatic that I drive now has been programmed to do that all by itself and accelerates nicely when I put my foot down, and I can hear from the engine that it's over-revving a lower gear to get up more speed.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Flappy Paddle? :bigsmile:

:drinker:

:heart:
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    lol, paddle shift still an auto
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person in the world who drives a stick?

Most of the world drives one. Its only in US that people expect to be given a medal or something for knowing how to drive a stick.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    No you're not the only one who drives a stick shift. All of my cars are/were manual either 5 or 6-speed.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    I learned to drive on a stick shift.
    The one I have now has been my first and only car.
    I don't ever plan on buying an automatic.
    It's such a nice feeling when you get that perfect downshift.
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    As others have said, I live in Europe and the vast majority of cars over here are manual ('stick shift') Only once driven an automatic - in the States of course!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I prefer manual transmissions. However I now drive a automatic minivan. Not many mini-vans come with sticks.
  • leslieschoenle
    leslieschoenle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have a 2007 Jetta that is a 5 speed and my Fiance has his 2001 BMW that is also a 5 speed! That's how we roll!