Does anybody else drive a stick shift?

Replies

• dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Been driving stick since i was 18! I love it!
  • Nope! I have a 1979 Bug Convertible that's a stick. I love it.
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    I do, and I intend to continue unless a day comes when a) I'm not physically able to drive a standard or b) it's no longer possible to find a car with standard. I've only owned one car with automatic tranmission and I loathed it.
  • hopefaithlove24
    hopefaithlove24 Posts: 454 Member
    Yes i drive a stick, my former car was a manual and this one again, I'm originally from Europe and everyone there drives stick, automatic there is very expensive and mainly for people that can't drive stick anymore because of health reasons. I think it should be law that every one should at least learn to drive a manual ;)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Knowing how to operate a manual transmission is key to riding a motorcycle, so anyone who can ride can operate one.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    I don't. This girl in college tried to teach me, but after many failed attempts her engine started smoking so we stopped.

I wish their was some clever word play in there, but nope, just facts.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    My Dart is 3 speed on the column. :glasses:

I love a manual transmission!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    You're definitely not the only one, and here in the UK pretty much everyone drives manual (including me)

I literally know just 2 people who drive automatic.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Nope! I *love* my standard transmission! I have always, always driven a stick.
  • boonognog
    boonognog Posts: 55 Member
    I learned to drive on standard shift and only drove manual transmission vehicles until I got my used 1998 Mazda 626 from a friend... which would have been so much more fun to drive with a manual!! My current vehicle is a nice little 1999 Toyota Corolla, which would also be much more fun with standard shift, and probably get better gas mileage too... But it was too good a deal to pass up last year when I ran across it with only 35,000 miles!! I have a long commute to work so this was a goldmine!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    I have driven a stick for 30 years. I don't really mind it .. but sometimes I get lazy and wish for an automatic. It does good in the winters here in Canada. So think I will keep going.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    I drive a stick shift. Always have. Took my driver's test in one 30 years ago. I doubt I'll ever change.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    My wife does, but only in the morning before i pee.....
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Loved driving a stick in college. That always leads to this conversation:

Distant Acquaintance: "Can I borrow your car?"

Me: (I do not want to let them borrow my car, so I say in a very bubbly voice) "Sure you can borrow my car, my pleasure! It's a stick though, can you drive a stick?"

Distant Acquaintance: "No"

Me: "Oh, that's too bad. I'd totally let you borrow it if I could!"

Distant Acquaintance: "Hey, I've always wanted to learn though, could you teach me sometime?"

Me: "Sure, I'd love to. I'm kinda slammed with __Insert bullsh*t here__ but hit me up in a couple of weeks!" (Avoids person for rest of semester).
  • Rixx31
    Rixx31 Posts: 220 Member
    My fun / weekend car is a manual, daily driver is auto.
    I much, much prefer a manual over auto. Even in stop-go rush hour traffic I'd still take manual over auto.

My daily driver has a sequential select shift for the gears, but it's not close to the same as driving a manual.

...And I agree with the poster above who said paddle shift is still auto!

If it's only got 2 pedals, it ain't a manual!!
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    I'm still amazed that it costs less for a manual transmission AND it's more fun to drive.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Nope...I drive a stick. In fact, I had to order my Honda (4 years ago) just so I could have a stick...every civic in town was an auto
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    I learned, just so I could drive this beauty.

564225_10151172456953516_2116175784_n.jpg
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    I learned, just so I could drive this beauty.

564225_10151172456953516_2116175784_n.jpg

And how yooou doing? =)
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 235 Member
    I put 150,000 miles on a 63 VW when I was young. I could even make the tires chirp (no smoke from them though....i forget if it was 36 or 40 HP, top speed 71 MPH!!!!). I loved that car, but swore I would pay more for an automatic for the rest of my life...