Wow. You look like *kitten*....

Options

Replies

• retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    These comments come from my director of nursing, her assistant, my immediate supervisor, and a few fellow co-workers.

I bet they're either all jealous women, or men who find you attractive but realise that the better looking you get, the less chance they have.
  • JazminGowdy
    Options
    All of those people putting you down for losing weight; I believe they are envious of you, because you are taking care of yourself. That is my opinion. They say your are not successful until people start hating on you...

As long as you are a HEALTHY weight for your height, and you are eating right (good sized portions, not a lot of fatty/fried foods), you should not listen to anything they say. And if you keep getting talked down to at work, you should talk to the higher-ups about it. That is definite a form of harassment when your co-workers are consistently making negative comments about your body, and that is NOT okay.

You are doing fine-let no one take you down just because they feel bad about themselves.
  • jardin12
    jardin12 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've gotten some really negative comments from some of the RN's I work with. Thankfully most don't comment at all and some are great cheerleaders. What I do is turn the conversation around to focus back on them. People love to talk about themselves and their families. Works for all kinds of situations. When I get asked if I'm still losing weight - I'll answer a really quick no and then follow up with something like, Hey, how's Colby/Kristin doing at college? before they get a chance to ask/say anything else. Works every time against the negative Nellies.

Definitely this. And thank you for posting, OP. Serves as a warning for all of us - be on guard for anyone that wants to sabotage your efforts just to make themselves feel better!
  • babyrn1974
    Options
    5 foot tall and 143 is HARDLY sickly! Are the people saying this to you heavy and out of shape? They are jealous! I am a nurse too and you would be surprised how UNhealthy a lot of nurses are!
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    143 is not skinny at all! That's the weight I'm trying to get and I'm 5.10!

You don't look neither sick, nor like a drag addict. Not at least judging by your body.

I honestly can't believe anything like that happen especially in the USA considering people and employees are so careful of any possible egalitarian troubles. Maybe you misunderstood and there's some confusion between you guys?

Maybe those comments were regarding your overall look, not your weight, when you were actually sick or very tired, and didn't look well? Maybe they were concerned not about your weight much but about your health and thought you losing weight is an additional indication of depression r some sickness? Just thought.

My coworkers once told me I look bad, and suggested to take a rest and go to a spa, but I really looked like ****, lol, finishing important project and not sleeping for days.
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    Let's get a few things straight: they've stepped out of line when they had an "intervention" on your looks and commented on them. As a director of nursing, they've should have practiced professionalism, not criticism. Now that you've told them verbally that what they did was wrong, you're within your rights to go above their heads and report them if this continues. The scare tactics may happen; don't listen to them. That's harassment in a work place and it should not be tolerated. If your doctor says you're okay, then go about your business. Your job has NO right to know about your health unless you have a contagious disease/virus or it's deteriorating. You do not have to bring in a note from the doctor's office about your weight, so the little mind games your bosses are playing are just that: mind games. You're going to hear it from many angles when it comes to the mind games, but know it's mere harassment. There's a huge difference between concern and harassment. You have legal rights and utilize them if their actions continue.
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you work with such a despicable group of people.

Lots of suggestions have already been made on handling them, so I won't repeat them.

What I do want you to do though is go back and read the "why I want to get in shape" part of your profile, and remember how you felt when you typed it.

You have worked hard, and you look fantastic. You should feel it too. :flowerforyou:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    5 foot tall and 143 is HARDLY sickly! Are the people saying this to you heavy and out of shape? They are jealous! I am a nurse too and you would be surprised how UNhealthy a lot of nurses are!

I totally agree. I'm not in the nursing side of things but I worked for years in health care and it was sad and shocking to see (in my area) over half of the nursing staff in hospitals and nursing homes were very sick people. Often morbidly obese, with terrible diets and eating habits and taking handfuls of (prescribed) Rx meds.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    First, get a letter from your doctor saying that your weight and fitness goals are healthy, then take that letter to whoever called you in to a meeting (I presume it was your supervisor/line manager) and say that you are not happy with the constant harassment based on how you look, that you find it hurtful and offensive, and that it must stop. If that doesn't make it stop, or your supervisor/line manager doesn't accept the note from your doctor, then go above his/her head and complain, saying that you consider it to be harassment based on how you look, and highly unprofessional.

This. As long as your goals are healthy, then everyone else can just go pound sand. I REALLY hope the meetings you talk about are with peers, because if a supervisor brought you in and said "you look like *kitten*", they need a smack upside the head. There are much more productive ways to address such issues, and if you really did have a problem, that approach would not be the way to open up a supportive path to a solution. (And I'm no stranger to leading the "You look like you're hurting, what's up", "You need to stand closer to your razor next time", or "You look like you slept in that uniform" discussions.)

Unfortunately, it often happens that people who are unfamiliar with a process will mis-diagnose things. If they're not familiar with successful weight loss, they may simply assume that you've got a problem because you're actually losing weight.

I once had a supervisor who really angered me when he got on my case because I put on weight. Knowing that I was someone who enjoyed cooking, he simply assumed I was over-eating. Not once did he notice that my waist size hadn't gone up. He also didn't notice that, in the eighteen months after the time they'd taken my first weight measurement, on which he'd based the "you're packing on fat" argument, I'd gone from doing 80 pounds on a hack squat machine to 450 and from bench pressing perhaps 120 pounds, total, to 110 in each hand. I'd also gone from someone whose only running experience was around a track to someone who could sling a fully-grown man over his shoulders and sprint uphill. So he completely ignored the possibility my weight could have come from something other than fat because that wasn't in his experience.
  • jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You look amazing and healthy and not sick at all! I'm so sorry you're going through this at work no less. :( It's definitely harassment.

I have been dealing with something very similar with some of my family and friends. I'm 5'6" and 150lbs, and I get "Are you starving yourself?" from my mom all the time and every once in awhile (usually when drinking is involved) I get cornered with the fake concern conversation... "You know, you looked better about 5-10lbs heavier...you should stop. You don't need to lose any more weight."

We're here for you. Keep making yourself happy, and try not to let it get to you. I know how it shakes your confidence and messes with your pride and happiness in what you're doing for yourself. <3
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If they are making those comments at work, especially in a meeting then they are probably most likely breaking Labor Laws. You might be able to check your personell manual to see if they have a workplace harassment policy.. then report this to the human resources dept and let them handle it.

if you dont want to do that or if you dont have anything like that then you can verbally state something to that affect like "this is not appropriate for work place etiquette. I have no comment for you" or something like that.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    That is terrible and I would certainly be putting in an official complaint. Even if you really did think someone had an eating disorder, is telling them they look like *kitten* the way to go???? Ummm no!

As someone else suggested, go visit your doctors and they can confirm healthy goal weights for you based on height / frame etc.

Looking at your pic, I think you look lovely! Definitely not skinny or corpse like! These people could be jealous that you are looking fantastic, some people see it as a competition.

Yep, that's the first thing that came to mind, jealousy. You are beautiful in your before and your after pic. I would report this to your boss. Did your boss tell you that you look like sh--? I would go over that person's head. That's ridiculous. It's funny how ppl think that you must be doing something unhealthy to lose weight. SMH.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I think that we will all be seeing more and more cases like this one detailed in the OP. As a nation, we have collectively lost all ability to gauge what a normal healthy body looks like.

In the OP's home state of WV the CDC reports that over 69% of the population is overweight and over 32% of the population rates as obese.

That's not bashing the state (I come from Texas where our rankings are not far behind those stats as well) it is a simple statistical fact.

Take a look at how this has progressively changed since 1985 through 2013.

Pretty freakin' frightening to see where this is all heading.

Obesity_state_level_estimates_1985-2010.gif

http://www.americashealthrankings.org/WV

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/stateprograms/fundedstates/west_virginia.html

And the model shows that by 2015 over 75% of us here in the USA will be overweight and over 41% will be classified as obese.

http://health.lilithezine.com/American-Obesity-Rates.html

Kudos to everyone here who has woken up and is fighting the fight to get healthy and to buck these trends....
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I think that we will all be seeing more and more cases like this one detailed in the OP. As a nation, we have collectively lost all ability to gauge what a normal healthy body looks like.

In the OP's home state of WV the CDC reports that over 69% of the population is overweight and over 32% of the population rates as obese.

That's not bashing the state (I come from Texas where our rankings are not far behind those stats as well) it is a simple statistical fact.

Take a look at how this has progressively changed since 1985 through 2013.

Pretty freakin' frightening to see where this is all heading.

Obesity_state_level_estimates_1985-2010.gif

http://www.americashealthrankings.org/WV

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/stateprograms/fundedstates/west_virginia.html

And the model shows that by 2015 over 75% of us here in the USA will be overweight and over 41% will be classified as obese.

http://health.lilithezine.com/American-Obesity-Rates.html

Kudos to everyone here who has woken up and is fighting the fight to get healthy and to buck these trends....

Interesting graphic/data. Thanks for the kudos, and the same to you. :smile:
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Do you wear scrubs that fit your new body properly?
    Do you wear some form of makeup to work?

If the answer to these Q's is yes, then I agree with 99% of the posts here. The "meetings" are inappropriate and you are being harassed.

However - and I know I may be hated for this comment - if the answer to those two Q's (either of them) is no, then it's probably an appearance issue. Too-big scrubs combined with a fresh-scrubbed face can make nearly anyone look like a sloppy meth addict which is the last thing you want to see from someone in a health-related career.

Let me get this straight -- baggy scrubs and no makeup make a person look like a meth addict? Is that really what you said? Really? A meth addict? Have you ever seen a meth addict??

Why don't people think before they type? :noway:
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    OP, you've gotten a lot of good advice. Have you lost the weight very quickly? Maybe your co-workers are just in shock because you look so different? Regardless, your they still don't have the legal or moral right to treat you this way. Do something about it.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Wow, Achaila - you are stunning!!!!
  • HazelDiva1913
    HazelDiva1913 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You look amazing and should totally be happy about your accomplishments. often times people really discourage people from loosing weight because they see you looking TOO good! You keep going and shut out their hateful words. I despise the word jealous but honestly it sounds like they are jealous of you. Its crazy that you are in the healthcare field and your colleagues don’t understand. They should be rallying around you and supporting you not discouraging you. Hold your head high and keep up the great work. They WISH they had a fraction of your will power.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Just three words:

Hostile Work Environment!

Do what you know is right; don't let them make you second-guess your good health accomplishments.
  • torysresort
    torysresort Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    "F" all of 'em. You look more than fantastic. Jealousy doesn't look good on anyone, especially those that would berate you because you're probably healthier, thinner, and more attractive than them. It does sound like a hostile environment and no one needs to deal with that, we have enough of our own issues. Keep on chooglin and doing what you're doing. I for one would be proud to stand next to you....