Do you men really want a low maintenance woman?

Options

Replies

• Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    To me high maintenance is if she (or he if a bud) drains more energy from me then adds.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    My husband wants me to do whatever makes me happy and he doesn't mind it either way. He loves me for who I am. Sounds corny, probably.
    I think mine is the same. Because truth to tell, I don't care what he likes. I am the way I am, and he's free to take me or leave me the way that I am. I only wear jeans, t-shirts, sneakers, graying ponytail, most of my fingernails are peeled or cut short, I don't always shave and the only makeup I wear is lipstick about once a year. If that's not good enough, there's the door.

Except we've loved each other for so long, and we took each other for better or worse, each knowing that the other would be old and busted someday. I get misty-eyed thinking about holding his wrinkled old hands in mine someday and planting a smooch on his liver-spotted bald head. Because everything that I love most about my husband will endure until we take our last breath.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I think the guys that can afford a high maintenance woman don't mind them....
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Well, my gay male friend told me - and everybody else in the faculty room that day - that I look MUCH better with makeup on. I forgave him, but sure did piss me off that day! I'm thinking it doesn't matter because he's gay and doesn't want me anyway :sad:
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I like my women with lots of ink and scars and piercings... look all crusty punk, but smell like flowers.

Yummmm... so that is high-low maintenance, right?

tumblr_mrusn0uEDc1sp0w9oo1_500.jpg
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    TL;DR... being with a low maintenance woman - after having been with 3-4 high maintenance women before - the answer is unequivocally, YES!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    In principle, I don't mind if a girl engages in all those cosmetic rituals to "improve" her looks. The objection I have is with women who feel they absolutely need to do all that work 365 days of the year or late at night just to get groceries at Walmart. I prefer if a girl reserves that extra attention to herself for work and special events only.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    What if low maintenance ALL THE TIME means having a really sloppy looking GF? Pretty sure no guy really wants a chick that looks like they've been out in the bush all week attend to a friends wedding with them looking as such.

And eh, there's a time and a place for everything.
    Camping, lazy weekends = "low maintenance"
    Getting ready for work= "I want to look decent so I'mma spend 30 mins getting ready"
    Going out to a fancy dinner, party, event etc = "high maintenance".

It's not that bad.
    :P
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Low is better than high personally.
  • dobfankris
    Options
    I've never actually met someone who fit the whole "high/low maintenance" dichotomy, man or woman, not counting TV sitcoms.

In fact, I probably can think of more folks that would seem to be contrary to the generalization - but in the end their level of confidence and attitude were more important than how they dressed/groomed.

Count me as a solid "no preference" vote :)
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mama with 2 young kids! I'm lucky to get any maintenance at all! If it comes down to 5 extra minutes of sleep or 5 minutes to put on make up, I'm going with sleep. Heels are not an option. They aren't logical for me since I am running after my kids all the time. This doesn't mean that I wouldn't wear heels on a date (assuming I ever get away from the kids). If I were younger, if I had a SO to help me with the kids, if I had the funds to put into myself, then I may be considered "high maintenance" because I would indulge in mani/pedis and nicer clothing. If men don't really want low maintenance then there is no hope for me lol
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely high-maintenance, but I maintain myself. I don't inflict that on anyone else.

this^^
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    <--- I think it's pretty obvious from my pic that I'm extremely low maintenance. I can be ready and out the door in under 5 mins. (make it 10 if there's a shower involved.) My husband loves it and he thinks I'm adorable as I am. Plus, he recognizes me in the morning. (You know how sometimes you see someone without her makeup on for the first time and she looks like a completely different person?) :laugh:
  • kimmysueneal
    kimmysueneal Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    sweet baby jesus, yes, we want a low maintenance woman.

if i can be honest...

no, we don't care what you're wearing to dinner.
    no, we don't know if those shoes match your dress.
    we don't know what a clutch is (unless it's the kind in the car).
    no, we don't care about your make up. we're freaking hungry. hurry. up.

This is just awesomeness! Hahahahaa Love it!
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    No, we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE high maintenance. Please tell me more about the new Ulta in town.

Change Ulta with Sephora and you've got high maintenance. :laugh:
  • marras117
    Options
    Who cares what other people want. Do what YOU like. Girls dress for themselves, and other girls. I like doing my hair and makeup and (with all due respect) I don't really need a man standing around whining about it. My hair is naturally crazy, and Im really sorry guys, but I don't feel like walking around like Einstein just because a man is too impatient.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    What if low maintenance ALL THE TIME means having a really sloppy looking GF? Pretty sure no guy really wants a chick that looks like they've been out in the bush all week attend to a friends wedding with them looking as such.

And eh, there's a time and a place for everything.
    Camping, lazy weekends = "low maintenance"
    Getting ready for work= "I want to look decent so I'mma spend 30 mins getting ready"
    Going out to a fancy dinner, party, event etc = "high maintenance".

It's not that bad.
    :P
    HAHAHA! Don't take it personally, but all that means is your type wouldn't be my type's type (I'm sure you're a lovely person just the same!). There's a lid for every pot. :flowerforyou:
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I've officially been on MFP too long! I thought the title of the thread was referring to low calorie women in maintenace. Ya know, do men prefer that or an "eat more, lift heavy at higher maintenance" kind of girl :laugh:
  • ravenstar25
    ravenstar25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    so the consensus is..........

men like women who smell good, look nice, shave their legs, pluck their eyebrows, put effort into their appearance.....

but don't spend any time getting ready (or at least not any longer than YOU take, so that you're not waiting for us).

did I miss anything?

They also want a woman who never bothers them with her stupid emotional problems, yet always has time for sex.

I fixed the impossible paradox by ceasing to date men entirely and have been happily living with a woman for 10 years, although that will only work if you are lesbian/bi. Sorry, straight ladies.
  • tamika4life
    tamika4life Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    <
    Can get ready in under 30 mins including shower. I think that is pretty low maintenance. Oh and I don't color my hair either. It has nothing to do with thinking I am naturally pretty or not, I just like to sleep in as much as possible.

I feel you on the sleep part. I don't have precious hours to spend in the morning on hair and makeup. I'm good to go, as is. :smile: