Does anybody else drive a stick shift?

Options

Replies

• ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options

And yes, I have driven both auto and manual. On the last two points, the automatics used in Ferrari's and the like are not like most autos, and they are still clunky in slow stop and go traffic, and left foot braking is a bad habit for road driving. People tend to rest their foot on the brake, wearing the brakes and having the brake lights always on or flickering on/off while driving.

Yes Ferrari and some others have a semi-automatic, however true automatics are used by Aston Martin, Mercedes SLS AMG, Porsche with their Tiptronic, the list of auto high end sports cars is large. And left foot braking has been used for many years both in motorsports including rallying and for driving automatics where during low speed traffic conditions reactions are much faster. You may not like it, but it is not a bad habit. As for wearing the brakes, most manual drivers hover over or rest their foot on the clutch pedal thus burning out clutch plates. It is resting your foot on the pedal, whichever one, that is a bad habit.

And copying a funny gif into your post doesn't make you right!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

And copying a funny gif into your post doesn't make you right!

tumblr_m6f13pbekP1rziwwco2_500.gif
  • hopefaithlove24
    hopefaithlove24 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I can drive one and have a car that's manual but that's the fun car. My main car is automatic.
    Why would anyone have that silly left foot exerciser and stirry stick any more? Unless of course they like black and white TV and filofaxes. Stick shift is so last century.

The good lord gave you two feet, one for brake and one for accelerator, if he'd meant us to have stick shifts he'd have given us three feet! And as you know, three feet is a yard, and that is where your stick shifts should be stored, permanently, to rot.

Just my not so humble opinion

For one, manual transmissions are better on gas.

For two, they're better in snow.

For three, they're easier to maintain than automatic transmission

For four you have a lot more control over the car

For five they're really fun to drive

For six I can't imagine buying a really sweet sports car and having it be an automatic transmission. That's almost blaspheme.

And I really hope you're not driving with two feet, unless you're a cop.

^^^^ This, especially the driving with two feet part hahah
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    At the age of 52 got my first car without stick. I LOVE driving standard!
  • 1985Andy
    1985Andy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I can drive one and have a car that's manual but that's the fun car. My main car is automatic.
    Why would anyone have that silly left foot exerciser and stirry stick any more? Unless of course they like black and white TV and filofaxes. Stick shift is so last century.

The good lord gave you two feet, one for brake and one for accelerator, if he'd meant us to have stick shifts he'd have given us three feet! And as you know, three feet is a yard, and that is where your stick shifts should be stored, permanently, to rot.

For six I can't imagine buying a really sweet sports car and having it be an automatic transmission. That's almost blaspheme.

^^^^ This, especially the driving with two feet part hahah

I've always driven stick until I got my new car yesterday. It is apparently better on fuel consumption than the manual version and as the box on it is so good I thought I'd go automatic for a change. So far so good!
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    My first car was manual but I do prefer automatics. It's true that it's better to fully control the car this way but I'm too lazy.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I drive a manual.....but with my back issues atm it kind of hurts to change gear. However, I do prefer the control of the gear stick!!
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    This makes me miss my RX-8... which of course was a manual.

I now drive an auto Mazda 3 because it's easier on my commute to work (which is mostly heavy traffic).

If rumors are true, then 2017-2018 I'll be getting the new rotary powered car from Mazda... with a manual transmission, of course.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I do as does nearly everyone else I know (I live in Europe) but even in the US my dad and many of my aunts drove manual transmission. Funnily enough my husband (Belgian) does not. He regularly has to drive to various parts of the Netherlands, France and Germany for work and though he drove manual transmission vehicled for years, being stuck in stop and go traffic with a manual car is no fun (ok, being stuck in traffic is generally not fun). Once we had to back up a ramp for a parking garage (we thought it was a public pay garage turns out it was private) the entry ramp was spiral and backing up and out of the spiral was such a pain in the backside with the stick (especially as the car had an electronic hand break button) that we decided his next car would be an automatic and we are so glad for our decision too - it's nice having one of each :-)
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Almost every car I've owned has been a manual (95' Saturn SL base & 05' Pontiac Sunfire) - only the 91' Geo Prism (which I bought @ 200k - ran it for 6 months until the auto transmission died, 6k miles later).

It's becoming a bytch finding good used manuals, I refuse to go auto unless I 100% have to - i'm WAY TOO ROUGH on my cars keep an auto happy - LOL

*edit - spelling*
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I drive one part of the time. I have the kids most of the time so I have a minivan and thus, no stick. But my husband's car is a stick and I drive it when I'm going somewhere alone.
  • bantamspaul
    bantamspaul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Lived only in UK/Germany - only driven a stick shift in UK but did dally with the odd auto in Germany. Much prefer a stick shift - feel like you are more in control
  • BlueAngelChar
    BlueAngelChar Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    its most common in the UK to drive a manual/stick shift! My Audi is manual
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I will drive an automatic when my knee decides it has had enough, and not a minute before.

SUBARU!! =)
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person in the world who drives a stick?

Nope. I have an automatic, and a manual. I much prefer the manual.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    SUBARU!! =)

I'm about to get in mine (a BRZ) to drive out for a lunchtime hair appointment. Before that, I drove a WRX!
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

The difference in gas mileage nowadays is minimal. How you drive, auto or manual makes a bigger difference.

Who says a manual is better in snow? In fact you have less control particularly pulling away from stationary.

Easier to maintain? Where on earth do you get that. Autos are more reliable than manuals and clutches.

How does a manual give you more control exactly? Have you ever driven an auto?

Fun to drive? How exactly? More to think about and get wrong maybe, more to distract you away from the road which is what you should be concentrating on.

High end sports cars from Ferrari to Aston Martin have had semi or full autos for years.

No I'm not a cop and yes I drive with both feet, I'll guarantee my reactions are quicker than moving right foot off accelerator and onto brake.
    For the bolded points:
    wrong.gif

And yes, I have driven both auto and manual. On the last two points, the automatics used in Ferrari's and the like are not like most autos, and they are still clunky in slow stop and go traffic, and left foot braking is a bad habit for road driving. People tend to rest their foot on the brake, wearing the brakes and having the brake lights always on or flickering on/off while driving.

:heart:

Same here on both the manual and the auto. I love the manual car that I have but it's only for summer driving.

I have never once been distracted when driving my little car and in fact just a few months ago while driving I came upon a big trashcan type object in the middle of the road and I have to say that my reaction time to avoid it was far faster than if I was driving my automatic transmission.

As for it being easier to maintain: There's no need for ATF. You use engine oil or some other lubricant (can't remember the name) in a manual car. The only reason to actually change the fluid is if there's a leak. If you're burning out your clutches then you really need to figure out what you're doing wrong. There's no need to have your foot on the clutch all the time. The only time mine is on it is when I'm shifting or starting out from a stopped position and only then do I place my foot on the clutch and put it in gear before I'm actually ready to move.

They ARE far better on gas mileage than automatics. How do I know? I own both and get far better mileage out of my little miata than I do in my jeep, Saab, or buick.

And I'd really love to know how often you burn through your breaks having your left foot on it all the time.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I did not have sufficient time to discuss more in detail yesterday.

I really like to drive the stick over the automatic. When I take my lady friends for a ride, I just think there is so much more pleasure to be derived from grabbing the stick firmly, and thrusting it back and forth at the different angels to vary my speed as we navigate the curves. It just gives more exhilaration to both of us than you would get from just grabbing the stick, putting it in one spot, and going.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I don't atm, but it's what I learnt in and got my licence with. Manuals here are usually cheaper, which is why so many people can drive them. Plus, it's a skill I have so I know I can get into a car and drive it, regardless of if it's an auto or manual.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I have been using a stick shift all my life ;)