How do you make plain non-fat Greek yogurt taste good?

Options

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I prefer savory to sweet with the yogurt, so I've of course done the sour cream thing. I've also made a cucumber salad with it, and I like to add it to things that require a bit of tartness like in waffles for the buttermilk.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Make tzatziki, yum

nice
  • crose0056
    crose0056 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    fresh fruit and splenda.....easy
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite breakfasts is plain Greek yogurt, Kellogg's All-Bran, raisins and cinnamon. Another good thing is to whir it in the food processor with frozen cherries and vanilla extract for a sort of 'melted-ice-cream effect. A (drained) snack cup of mandarin oranges sitrred in is good as is a snack cup of pineapple. Thaw frozen blueberries and add them with some of their juice.

I make cheap Greek yogurt by draining supermarket-brand plain. I get the same amount of yogurt as a container of Fage at less than 2/3 the price and have whey leftover for other uses. How I do it with pictures is here: http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/snack/other-snack/greek-yogurt-bargain.html
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Mix in some cinnamon and dip apple slices in it. YUMMY!
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I just used it this weekend because I had all the fixings for a Waldorf Chicken salad, but I wanted to use less mayonnaise. I mixed 1 part full fat mayo with 3 parts greek yogurt and a little lemon juice. Not going to say it tasted just like the real thing, but it did help bring down the calories for the dish :-)
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Add a scoop of protein powder. Great if you need to pump up your protein numbers.

My favourite is adding Kashi Honey Almond Flax cereal and a bit of splenda.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I don't love the ultra-thick texture, and I always want a bigger portion, so this is what I do- add water until it's fairly thin like standard yogurt, add 3g chia seeds and stevia, and let it sit 10-20 min to hydrate the chia seeds. By then it'll thicken a little (sometimes I add a touch more water). Then I top with fresh or microwaved-frozen fruit! Makes a nice, big, low-cal bowl to enjoy in front of the TV!
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Some peanut butter and cinnamon!
  • tfisher0915
    tfisher0915 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    1 cup yogurt + 1 packet sweetener + 1/2 packet Duncan Hines frosting flavor creations = YUM :)

I love those little flavor packets, my favorites so far: Raspberry-White chocolate, Strawberry Shortcake and Chocolate-Almond.
    Not so great: Fruit punch and Key lime pie.

Yessssss! I am in LOVE with the Strawberry shortcake flavor. I add some sliced fresh strawberries and some Kashi Go Lean cereal for a bit of crunch. Very delicious.

There was a seasonal flavor, "Apple Pie" which is PHENOMENAL, but I haven't been able to find it in almost a year. Hopefully theyll bring it back for the holidays. Its the best flavor in my opinion. I loved mixing it with greek yogurt and baked apple pieces. Yum!
  • oldtyke
    oldtyke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Mix with roasted ground cumin seeds,,chilli powder,fresh coriander, salt/freshly ground pepper, and pomegranate seeds.(raita)

Mix with a little wasabi paste/powder and use as a spicy dressing for coleslaw.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    1/2c yogurt
    1/4c ricotta skim cheese
    1/4c berries (whatever kind you prefer)
    2TBS walnut pieces.
    add a bit of honey if you want it cheaper.
    low fat and packed with protein.
  • tandjin94
    tandjin94 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use a pampered chef chopper to chop up a mix of berriesin a bowl, then mix in the yogurt. In the beginning I added a tsp of honey, but now that I've lost my craving for sweets I like it better without. You can add granola or chia seeds, etc. You can also put it in a smoothie.
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Mmm. I had the most delicious yogurt dish over the weekend at a B&B. It was a mix of cut strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, kiwis and sliced banana. Probably about a total of a cup and a half of fruit. Then it was mixed with about a quarter cup of yogurt, a tsp of honey and then topped with fresh mint. The fresh mint was the secret ingredient that really made it taste amazing. You could add more yogurt if you want.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I throw it into so many things nowadays - reach for it often when I'm cooking. But, here are some ways you could eat it:

1. mix with some almond butter, maybe a sweetener of choice, splash of vanilla and some mini chips - kinda tastes like chocolate chip cookie dough.

2. mix with garlic powder, salt, squeeze of fresh lime and sriracha and you've got a great spicy dip for veggies, pretzels, pita chips, etc. (I also like to balance out the tartness with just a tiny drizzle of agave in here)

3. my favorite: http://fitandhealthywithdebbie.blogspot.com/2012/10/banana-oatmeal-breakfast-muffins.html I have done these muffins with banana, zucchini, pumpkin. So good, and you can even add some protein powder for an extra punch of protein.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Just a little bit of honey or fruit... scrumptious.
  • bantamspaul
    bantamspaul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I like to mix it with good quality fruit and nut muesli, some dates and prunes - delicious breakfast and very low cal
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I mix a tablespoon of sugar free jello pudding mix (dry) - it turns into pudding (I like the lemon best).

Peanut Butter

Canned Pumpkin and a little pumpkin pie spice, makes it taste like the inside of a pumpkin pie
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I prefer savory to sweet with the yogurt, so I've of course done the sour cream thing. I've also made a cucumber salad with it, and I like to add it to things that require a bit of tartness like in waffles for the buttermilk.

I make my own Greek yogurt - use the whey in place of buttermilk for biscuits, pancakes, cake, bread etc. Waste not want not!