How do you distract yourself on the treadmill?

Options

Replies

• suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Music and TV, and I do the random program on the treadmill which keeps me guessing at what size hills it will make me run up!
  • LindaGTaylor
    LindaGTaylor Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I watch old movies, a friend of mine also on mfp reads on his tablet...
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I listen to music on my iphone & daydream
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I know that the time change is approaching so I will be running outside as much as I can until then. I watch whatever is on the TV's at my gym or listen to music.
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Mine is weird. While I listen to music like most people here, I pretend I'm in an action scene when I run :huh:
    Like I'm in a building and a bomb is about to go off, and I have to run as fast as I can to escape.
    I get an adrenaline rush from my childish imagination and I'm able to pull through to the end.
    I'm fully aware I need to grow up. :bigsmile:

This is what my daughter does. My husband sees her outside sprinting back and forth and he says its her ADD coping mechanism...except I know what she's really doing. She's 15 and she listens to her ipod and makes up fantasy scenes that she takes part in. That's why sometimes she walks and will bust out in a sprint. Too funny.
    LMAO awesome! I thought I was the only (inb4 "you're not a special snowflake"). This genuinely makes me happy XD
  • ItsJenney
    Options
    I read my Nook.
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Mine is weird. While I listen to music like most people here, I pretend I'm in an action scene when I run :huh:
    Like I'm in a building and a bomb is about to go off, and I have to run as fast as I can to escape.
    I get an adrenaline rush from my childish imagination and I'm able to pull through to the end.

Don't b silly....none of us need to grow up!!!
    Brofist_47c9f7_2542455.gif
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Music, audio books, self reflection, problem solving. Each day is different.
  • missbrendalynn
    missbrendalynn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    A good playlist filled with EDM stuff & chanting "sexy abs sexy abs sexy abs" :bigsmile:
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Most of the time a new playlist on the iPod does the trick. There's also the TV which helps as well.

Soon it will be the audiobooks.
  • sandikegz
    Options
    At my gym the treadmills are next to the free weights section....nuff said!!!

A little of this and my iPod or iHeartRadio :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

no way, that's awesome. don't tell anyone...but i imagine i'm dancing on a stage (in a not so G rated way) while I'm on the elliptical. To look at me, i'm a stereotypical librarian looking woman, but what goes on in my head is rated R lmao and the music I listen to on my mp3 player is for my ears only :blushing:

2032918_6173_zpse8576ae1.jpg
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Count the elapsed time; then switch to counting the time remaining; then elapsed; then remaining; until you want to quit.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    At my gym the treadmills are next to the free weights section....nuff said!!!

Nice... I remember watching the hot guys workout downstairs whilst I ran upstairs. Hee hee:bigsmile:
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill ... no dogs, cars or weather worries, and I'm just a step away from home (if the kids need me).

I started listening to music. Then we got a TV/DVD player. I watched 24 ... it's hard not to get a bit of an adrenaline pump watching Jack Bauer save the day. Like others have said, I no longer ever sit and watch tv or movies, I can only watch if I'm on the treadmill or elliptical. (Netflix, Amazon Prime or PlayOn to watch current shows).
  • dmoppy
    dmoppy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Mostly "on demand" from my cable provider. It's how I watch the shows I don't want to watch in front of the kids - "True Blood", "House of Lies", "Game of Thrones", etc. When I run outside it's all about music.
  • khadijak17
    khadijak17 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I use my iPad on the treadmill at home, I catch up on programmes or just browse through mfp I have on some occasions even played temple run lol :)
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    When I run outside, I enjoy the sounds of nature. Also I'm busy trying to breathe. I never listen to music because I run through pretty lonely areas and prefer to be aware of my surroundings.

I bought myself a cross trainer last weekend because I can never get myself to go outside unless somebody is kicking my in the backside. However, I've religiously watched "The Simpsons" almost every evening for YEARS. So now I'm only allowed to watch Simpsons while I'm on the trainer.
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options
    music doesn't do it for me. we have tons of dvd's that are only allowed to be watched on the treadmill. that way, if you want to keep up with your show, you've gotta workout.

This is a really good idea, and one I may have to enforce when I finally start watching Mad Men
  • irunforcookies
    irunforcookies Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Getting a treadmill was seriously the best thing I could have done! I tried running with my kids - it was so distracting! Drop a sippy cup, I need to pee, drop a toy, need to pee, I'm hungry...you get the point. Now I put the baby down for a nap, put a movie on for the toddler, and get lost in my thoughts. I will listen to music on my playlist most of the time - this works best for me when I want to keep a faster pace (5.5 - 6 MPH). When I'm not in the mood to run, but I still want to workout, I will set the incline on 12, the pace at 3 MPH and watch Netflix. I don't let myself watch any shows during the day unless I'm on the treadmill. It works for me!