Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Just reading through all the posts since Friday.. everyone seems to have given their own shares of @$$kickings out! The sprint triathlon talk is nice to hear too. I have a buddy who got into them and they seem like a good next step. I love to swim, and enjoy spin class.. and I can run. What is holding me back now is the lack of a bike or the knowledge about what to shop for.

As to why do I run if I do not enjoy it... It is a great workout, and I have seen best weight loss when running is part of my program. I really prefer trail running and will do it on the weekends. But during the week my pre-work cardio options are pretty slim.

I had a horrible couple days of eating...between birthdays and funeral with out of town people in... I ate way too much each night... not feeling good at all. I did get my workouts in each day and have been up early to get it all squeezed in... I am back to work today and dragging tired. I really thought about another day off to just catch up on some sleep but I decided against it... Did make today into a rest day... except for a lunch walk I am planning.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Laurie, Beth & Karen~I’m in the same boat next year – two cruises (March and October). Finances will be tight as a result of the cruises, but I may be able to swing it – depends on the timing of the races. Regardless of when we do it, I can’t wait!

@Laurie~Great mile time & I hope your loss sticks around. Leg press is a regular in sessions with my trainer, I’m up to 240# and 400# on the vertical squat machine – never thought I would be able to push that much weight, I have huge leg muscles and I think my trainer takes advantage of them. :laugh:

@Eeyeore~I suffer from insomnia as well. Before I had an rx for my sleep issues, melatonin and Sleepytime Extra tea worked well for me. Recently, I discovered Bedtime tea by Yogi – I like it better than Sleepytime.

@Karen~I worry about meds triggering my sleep paralysis as well. Everyone is different but for me they actually help me cycle through the various sleep stages. I also had to change sleeping positions, my doctor suggested turning into a side sleeper, I seem to have less episodes as a result. You’ve got a great weight lifting routine worked out!

@Tracy~Great day yesterday! Congrats to Jacob for making jazz band!

@Robin~LOL Enjoy your first day, you’re going to do great!

@Charlotte~Glad your daughter is doing well. Great that through the stresses of last week you maintained, great achievement!

AFM~Good day yesterday, even with lunch out at Gordon Biersch. I had a salad (grilled chicken with romaine, grapes, green apples, cranberries, and pecans with an herb dressing), minus the cheese, it was delish and decent in stats. Too bad it was a work lunch, so we couldn’t partake in their huge assortment of in-house beers. :wink:

Exercise Goals:

Monday~Gym, Arc Trainer DONE!
    Tuesday~Rest Day
    Wednesday~Gym, Training Session
    Thursday~Rest Day
    Friday~Gym, Elliptical/Row
    Saturday~Running Drills at Gym or outside (it it isn’t too hot)
    Sunday~Gym, Training Session
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everybody.

Beth- I was 272lbs. this morning. It is time to start losing again I want the 250’s. I am going to start eating better and get back to exercise. My foot has been hurting so I have been taking it easy. I am going to try and really work at this.

Karen – the zombie run sounds FUN!

Quote of the day: “Act as if everything you do makes a difference. It does.” ~William James

Tom
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Good Morning. It is raining here today. I guess that is the drawback of having walking for my exercise. I'm not sure how I am going to get a walk in. We are supposed to get a break during the day. I will have to watch for that and see if it fits the rest of the day. I have been looking at my long term goals, and realize that reaching my final goal by my birthday in May is probably not realistic. I have only lost 3# in Sept. At that rate it will take till mid-summer to reach my goal weight. I'm okay with that. I just need to remember to be realistic. I find that lately I am eating some of my exercise calories nearly every day. Maybe if I could cut that back, I could go faster, but I don't want to make this too hard.
    The triathlon sounds fun. I will be following your progress, but don't have anything to contribute to the race. I'm afraid of water, I don't bike, and I don't run.
    Have a great day. Onward and downward. Kaye
  • p1xyn1xy
    p1xyn1xy Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    bump
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Finally, I took a few minutes during lunch to catch up on the posts. Our weekend in Chicago was a blast! We arrived pretty late Friday night and found a 24-hour café open since we hadn't eaten since early afternoon. I opted for French Onion Soup minus the toppings and a nice spinach salad since it was past midnight. Saturday was a ton of fun at Wrigley Field. Unfortunately, the Cubs beat the Braves, but we had a blast. I had to have a few ball park treats (pretzel, cotton candy, etc.. .). Luckily, with all the walking, it pretty much balanced out. Sunday was a double decker bus tour of Chicago and then Navy Pier. Being in Chicago I had to have Garrett's (yummy popcorn) and a Chicago Dog, but logged it and moved on. Again, with all the walking it balanced out for the most part.

I wanted to attach a picture with me and Cyrus, but how do I attach? I was trying to do a simple copy/paste and that's not working. Any of you tech savvy people want to share?

Well, all my reports came back from all the poking and prodding, I'm healthy as can be EXCEPT overweight. I'm extremely thankful for the news because at this size many people battle so many issues and their numbers are not good. Except for a little Vitamin D deficiency I'm really quite healthy. No excuse not to exercise and get my butt moving even more.

A few personals:

@ Robin - How was your first afternoon as a volunteer? I bet you did great! As far as the clothes, you're on the right track with the mix and matching. If you stick with some khaki, navy or black pants, you go throw anything on with those. Like you said throw a scarf and you're good to go. I bet you were AWESOME!!

@ Laurie - You're 5K training seems to be going well. How do you feel its going?

@ Tracy~ Congrats to Jacob for making the jazz band! Cyrus has opted for chorus to start middle school. He seems to like it and actually has a pretty good voice. I was a music major in college YEARS ago with minors in voice and piano. He stays in tune and at his age that doesn't happen often. LOL!!!

@ Laurie, Beth, Karen & Kelly ~ If we plan ahead of time, I would LOVE a Robin's Thread get together and if it was around an event would be even better. I may not be ready to compete in a tri, but enough of us have done 5K's that's for sure or I'm a really good cheerleader too (at least I was back in the day). If I can swing it like Kelly, I'm game too!

@ Eeyeore ~ It's amazing to me how many of us suffer from a lack of sleep. I don't believe I have full blown insomnia, but it was difficult for me to fall asleep without reading first. I still read, but I take melatonin and that seems to keep me rested. I just take it earlier in the night so I have a better chance of falling asleep earlier versus later. I've never tried tea like Kelly, but I may want to consider that as well. Hope you find something that helps you.

@ Charlotte~ I'm sure your daughter was so thankful for your help. I'm sure the stress of the surgery on top of her husband's battle it's hard to keep that balance at home. I'm glad she's doing OK and hopefully you'll find some time to relax this week yourself.

@ Kelly - Your salad at Gordon Biersch sound very good. I went there for the first time a few months ago and had a really good seared ahi tuna salad. Restaurants really are becoming more and more accommodating to making healthier choices. It's just getting past all the "other" stuff that is the challenge, but a very nice win indeed!
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Just a quick thought. So many of us (ok not me yet -- yet) struggle with finding clothing for our "in between" size. We hate to spend a lot of money on clothes as we continue to move down (and the bigger/older clothes make it look like you pooped your pants :laugh: ). Maybe we should think about clothing exchanges. Now obviously it would require postage but heck, if I'm not fitting in those pants anymore, maybe someone else might want them.

I've given no other thought to it than just having that pop into my head just now. If we want to get rid of clothes, maybe we just put a note out in this thread and then work out the details through PM...
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Walked outside in the rain this afternoon. The umbrella kept my head dry, but my pants were wet to the knees. Just did the short walk. The thunder and lightning never stopped so it was an interesting 30 min.
    Kaye
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Gorilla- Having just shopped for a bike this summer, I strongly recommend going to multiple bike shops and checking out the different bikes. You will want a light weight bike either Giant, Trek, Cannondale or Specialized. A hybrid is a great way to go unless you really want to do long road races and you can also purchase a set of road tires for those races. All the bikes are made in the same factory in Tawain and the parts are interchangeable. Figure out how much you want to spend on a bike. The quality is equal in the bikes as the bikes stores will tell you they all have similiar specs. Giant Bikes owns the factory where all the bikes are made, therefore their bikes are less expensive since the overhead is cheaper. I love the ride I get on my Giant Escape, but I also like the Cannondale as well. Be prepared to ride a variety of bikes as you decide what to get. Think about handle bars and if you want straight (hybrid and mountain) or curved (road bike) and if you want to see the gear numbers or just go by feel. Both of those selections will help you to narrow down your choices.

Tracy- Congrats to your son on making Jazz Band.

Susan- Glad you had a great trip. I feel okay about the training, it is my confidence that I need to build and believe that I can accomplish this goal. We will keep you posted but you could do a relay sprint triathlon.

Kelley- Did you meet with your trainer after a 5K run or did you wait a couple of days? I am trying to decide to meet with my trainer on Monday or wait until Wednesday.

Kaye you will get to your goals and remember that weight loss changes by the month. We will need cheerleaders, you could also walk the 5K portion.

tlh- the clothes exchange could be interesting and it might work for some people.

Robin- How did it go today at the gallery?

Beth- Let's look at a few triathlon's for next year and start figuring out the time lines. Just like Karen and Kelly, it will depend on the timing of the event since the school year gets really busy. Then again a few days off for an event like this would be worth it.

I am so thankful for finding this thread and meeting such supportive people. I truly look forward to checking in daily to find out how everyone is doing. The encouragement everyone provides is amazing given the distances that separate us. Thank you for all the positive vibes for the upcoming 5K race you are my encouragement to accomplish this goal.

I have a couple of goals this week:
    1. To run the 5K race completely and hopefully under 40 minutes.
    2. Not to sprain an ankle during the race by finding an unwanted pothole and finish it upright and still breathing.
    3. Not to overdo it on Saturday before the race. I don't like the thought of doing nothing on Saturday before the race but it is for the best. I might swim or go the Renn Festival.
    4. Decide if I want to do an indoor tri in October.
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hi

I want to joint this thread. I need to lose 100 (well actually 90 pounds as of today) so this is a perfect group for me. I am new to MFP.

Tuesday - Goals: I want to see the scale hit 220 during the month of September. I want to eat clean while not obessing of calories and I want to continue with my 6/days a week workouts until it becomes habit. Easy breezy...NOT!!:laugh:
  • TOPSmarca
    TOPSmarca Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    So, my life just got healthier... daughter #1, who is expecting her second baby, has been diagnosed with diabetes. It looks like it started before the pregnancy so it is here to stay. She has PCOS so we knew it was likely someday but age 25 is WAY sooner than we dreamed. So I am gonna be the health freak mama from hell with all my kids!!!!! It is time to quit taking our health lightly.
    Ok discovered a trick to help with late night snacking .... I have started taking my thyroid meds at night. I can't eat 2-3 hours before I take them and not at all after!!! That should help a lot with keeping the calories in check!!!
    Got my first post race run in tonight... ran 2 of the 3 1/2 miles and other than some heel pain (New shoes)I feel great!!! My plan is to get back to 3-4 runs a week totaling 10-15 miles no matter how much is running or walking.
    Well that is all for now.....I still have not gotten caught up on back posts!!!
  • Eeyeore
    Options
    just a quick stop in - didn't eat too well today - going to have to make up for it tomorrow.
    thanks for all the tips on insomina - going to get some of the tea and take melatonin with it!! :drinker:
    first day back at work tomorrow - got to get some shut eye
    Plus daugher wants to take her Driver's test @ DMV tomorrow as well
    Insurance stated about a $90 increase in our Auto insurance a MONTH---is that normal???
    I thought that was kinda high.

P.S. I find that I wanna eat more in the afternoon and evenings too - trying to figure out what will work for me.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Well, my sweet puppy dog is very sick. He is older (we don't know how old, since he's a rescue), and has several allergies and so trouble with his skin. Saturday, he started looking bad, but then Sunday night he was in just terrible shape (fever with chills, welts and some type of lesions on his skin, a lot of crying). We got him to the vet, who gave him antibiotics and ran a bunch of tests. Last night, he went from bad to worse. I thought for sure we were losing him... my heart just broke every time he cried out in pain. From the blood tests, they said he has high thyroid levels and he has some type of bad infection so they added more antibiotics and pain meds. He is resting better now... not whimpering as often, and my son was able to hand feed him one piece of food at a time.

I know this is a diet / health site- but I also know a lot of you have fur babies... I've never been through this with a pet. I've always loved little Buddy, but never realized just how important he is to me.

I am trying to eat - but I'm not really hungry. So it's snacks and comfort food for me. I am still under my calories- just not the greatest nutrition levels.

Thanks for listening- sorry to be such a downer.
  • vickimieth
    vickimieth Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Well, my sweet puppy dog is very sick. He is older (we don't know how old, since he's a rescue), and has several allergies and so trouble with his skin. Saturday, he started looking bad, but then Sunday night he was in just terrible shape (fever with chills, welts and some type of lesions on his skin, a lot of crying). We got him to the vet, who gave him antibiotics and ran a bunch of tests. Last night, he went from bad to worse. I thought for sure we were losing him... my heart just broke every time he cried out in pain. From the blood tests, they said he has high thyroid levels and he has some type of bad infection so they added more antibiotics and pain meds. He is resting better now... not whimpering as often, and my son was able to hand feed him one piece of food at a time.

I know this is a diet / health site- but I also know a lot of you have fur babies... I've never been through this with a pet. I've always loved little Buddy, but never realized just how important he is to me.

I am trying to eat - but I'm not really hungry. So it's snacks and comfort food for me. I am still under my calories- just not the greatest nutrition levels.

Thanks for listening- sorry to be such a downer.

**hugs**
    Hope your fur baby is better soon...
  • kinnurse0754
    kinnurse0754 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Hi All, Naceto, my heart goes out to you because I don't think anyone who has owned a dog or cat for that matter doesn't know the heartbreak when your loved one gets sick. At least with a human they can tell you whats wrong and where it hurts. With your furbabies sometimes all you can do is give them love. Hope pup is feeling better soon.

Robin, we're all anxious to hear how your first day went. Hope it was wonderful for you and that this will add to your life considerably. You deserve to have some enjoyment.

I'm struggling through this night shift tonight. I think I'm still worn down from my week taking care of the kids and its sooooo busy at work. Lots of fresh post-op patients requiring a lot of care. Keeping me on my toes thats for sure. Just taking a bit of a lunch break and figured it would be a good time to check in. I'm doing so much better keeping on track now that I'm back home. I did well maintaining my weight but I really want to see a drop this week. Hope everyone is having a great week. Don't forget to drink your water along with all that exercise. Flush out those waste products. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Charlotte
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Nicole~Our furbabies are such a big part of our families, it’s hard when they’re sick. I hope the vet is able to bring him some relief and that he makes a full & speedy recovery. :flowerforyou:

@Laurie~I have met with my trainer the day after a race, I think mostly because we forget. If I had my choice though, I would allow myself to recover and wait until a couple of days after to see your trainer.

@Marca~Sorry for daughter’s diabetes diagnosis, 25 is rather young especially for adult onset – I’m sure the PCOS played a huge role in that. With diet and exercise (and you on her back), she should be able to manage it well.

@Susan~Sounds like you had a fabulous time in Chicago! I almost had that ahi tuna salad at Gordon Biersch, I couldn’t decide! :laugh:

Wednesday Wish~That today goes smoothly. This could be an eating disaster today if I let it, catered lunch (BBQ) and lots of goodies for our annual employee celebration. I will make the best choices that I can, but it just one day and I plan to enjoy myself – if I have one too many goodies, tonight’s workout should help to compensate for the extra calories.

Exercise Goals:

Monday~Gym, arc trainer DONE!
    Tuesday~Rest day (although I clocked nearly 5 miles on my Fitbit) DONE!
    Wednesday~Gym, training session (will be done)
    Thursday~Rest Day
    Friday~Gym, ellip/row
    Saturday~Running drills at gym or outside

Everyone have a terrific day, it’s going to be a crazy day so I will try to check back tonight.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Man I am dragging @$$... I did get my workout in this morning and hit my goal for the day but I just feel drained. This weekend is my Tunnel to Towers 5k run. Ill write more about it later but it is an important run to me that I do each year with my sister since I decided to stop being fat and lazy. I need to energy up for then! My sister is WAY faster then me, so its not that, it is I want to run it strong for me. Although given the chance I will trip her!

Naceto - it is a horrible thing when the pets get sick. Hope things improve quickly!

TOPSmarca - The diabetes is a tough draw, it will take a lot of watching and recording her food.. get her to sign up here it is a big help!

Lauriek70 - Thanks for the bike tips...
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Gorilla - you're keeping a tough schedule! I hope you get some rest in there sometime! Lauries advice on buying a bike sounds good if you're interested - might be just the thing for you and perfect for traffic where you live!.

Kah - sorry you couldn't indulge in a beer over lunch - Although I don't see why not - it would have burned off in 3 hours or so :laugh: the salad sounds yummy!

Morgori - Hi my friend - were you scared to reveal your weight? That's a big step - and a good one. You're going downhill from now on! Good for you! Keep up that casual walking around work too!

Kaye - I agree with you that you should continue to eat some of your exercise calories back and continue to lose your weight slowly - why push yourself into a hunger situation when your doing so well. I think 3 lbs a month is a fantastic weight loss plan at this point where you've lost so much weigh so far! To lose all your weight by Mid-summer is not that much further past than May....I think that's realistic and good planning :flowerforyou: Oh, and I'm glad you walked in the rain - I'll bet that was an adventure!

susan - here's a topic on adding pictures posted by Neurotic Virgo some time ago that has ALL THE INFO YOU NEED!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1041112-need-help-adding-pictures-look-here-tutorial-with-pics

glad you had a great time with Cyrus in Chicago!

tlh - your clothing exchange idea is a good one if you can accurately match sizes - sometimes it helps to try things on since a size 18 varies from one manufacturer to another so very much - thats why I shop at Goodwill so much while I'm declining in size! I seem to fit in a range of sizes - I'm in about 3 different sizes right now! LOL.

Laurie - I'm like you - I love having this thread and all these friends to look forward to on a daily basis - I love reading about what people are "up to" each day - even the household stuff and the daily exercise goals. It boosts me along in my daily routines which seem so average until someone comments on it, then it makes my day!
    I can't wait to hear how you do on your rock wall climb Friday and your 5 K race this weekend!

I managed to survive dressing myself for my volunteer job :laugh: yesterday and then I left 1-1/2 hours early to get there, since the major road there was under construction and was one-lane wide and I hadn't a clue how long it would take to get there. I managed the drive in 1/2 hour so I was 1 hour early for my job! Needless to say that impressed them but I am not going to repeat that mistake today for it made for a long day! I sat at a long table and in 5 hours I greeted about 25 people who came into the gallery. I coaxed about 1/2 of them to sign in the register and give me their zip codes for our demographics. I went on a tour of the Gallery along with a tour that was happening so I got to hear about the art again. During the down time I read a book and worked on some crossword puzzles. I took a snack and water and got along with the 2 women who were in the office quite well.

When I got home I was dog-tired however. I was just not used to being "ON" for 5 hours and I changed my clothes, took off my make-up, made dinner, watched a little TV, and fell asleep in the recliner at I-don't-know-what-time and woke up at 6:30 am still in the recliner. I still feel extremely tired and have to shower and repeat the whole thing again. Its going to take a week of this to get into the swing of working again.

Good news - The message I called into the doctor actually got through to him and he raised my prednisone dose. I should be feeling better in about 2 weeks. YIPPEE !!!! :love: :love:
  • susan2396
    Options
    Wednesday Wish: Patience once again. I know that darn scale will move one of these days. The trainer is really working with me on my numbers and she really wants me to eat more calories with high protein and good fat. Lord help me!! It's so hard to let go of "fat free" and actually eat the right full fat foods. It's worth trying because I think my body has shut down. My exercise is consistent and I'm only getting stronger, but the scale is not moving except the 1 lb gain/lose cycle over the past 7 weeks. What have I got to lose???!!!

I'm going to get in some extra walking today as I'm heading to a convention called Pack Expo at the Las Vegas Convention Center. I'll definitely get over my 10,000 steps easily today. Woo Hoo!!

@ Kah - I know you'll make good choices. You're so consistent. With BBQ, I really load up on the meats like pulled pork, chicken, etc. . . and limit the sauce of course. Sides are tough all the way around, but a little 1/2 cup scoop will not throw things off too much. Enjoy and you'll work it off later I have no doubt.

@ Robin - Congrats on the first day! I'm sure it will take a bit to get use too, but you'll have every inch of the place memorized and it's another way to meet people, which is great. Good for you!!! Also, big thanks on the picture download. I think I figured it out and going to give it a try after my post. Thanks!!

@ Gorilla - You and I sound too much alike. I'm dragging big time myself. I did work out this AM, but I was not happy because I normally take my Nook for the eliptical and dreadmill, but it wasn't charged. CRAP! I still got my butt going and was there at 4:30 a.m., but it's going to be a LONG day. I can't wait to hear about the 5K this weekend. I know you'll do great!

@ Morgori - Always great to read your posts. Short, simple and to the point. I have a tendency to babble I'm afraid. We've got some serious wind this morning. I think that's one thing about Vegas that has taken time to adjust. Crazy windy days!!

@ Nicole - Of course you can share about your four legged family members. I think we've all been there at some point. I was away to college when we had to put our dog down. We got her when I was 8 years old and had her until I was 21. I bawled for days and wanted to fly home, but my parents said no. I hated not being there. Hopefully, the vet can find something to keep the little one comfortable. Thoughts to you!!!

@ Marca - It's unfortunate it takes something like this to kick us into gear. I hope your daughter is handling the news OK. I know it's got to be tough. I think about my son all the time. I don't want to give him to get self esteem issues, but I don't want him to battle his weight like I have most of my life. If I can teach him good habits at this young age, hopefully he'll have a better chance as he's older. I know it's something we all want. You're doing the right thing and taking care of yourself, but encouraging your loved ones too is so important.

@ Charlotte - Any down time this coming weekend? I'm with you on dragging this week. I know you had a big week last week taking care of the grandbabies, but like you said you're back home and getting back on track. Hopefully, you can find some time to kick back, relax and take a little nap this week. Hang in there!!
  • susan2396
    Options
    Thanks to Robin and NeuroticVirgo's GREAT explanation I think I've got the pictures downloaded correctly. Here's just a few shots of me and my little man, Cyrus.

Me & Cyrus this summer at Toccoa Falls, Toccoa, GA. This is actually on the campus where I went to college. Very, small non-denominational college, but I loved it there YEARS ago.

CyrusandMomTFC_zpsb9bf1385.jpg

Me & Cyrus at Navy Pier in Chicago this weekend. Great time!!!!

171bf074-ff18-4d64-a22d-075559a102d4_zps7952286e.jpg