I just want to run...

Options

Replies

• mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    to add you really need to go to a running store and have them watch your gate, whether your a mid foot striker, fore foot striker, etc. and then they will suggestion the right shoe for you (well more than likely they will give you a choice of a couple different pairs and you can try them around the store, the store I go to even lets me go out on the sidewalks out front and do alittle jogging to try them out.. I found the perfect shoe for me that way.... Best of Luck.....

This. When I started running, I went and bought saucanys. I didn't have any problems with them but when it came time for new shoes, I went to a running store. They will help you as stated above. The will also make sure that you have the right fit, and are not wearing shoes that are too small. Also, I don't think it's because of your size- I am 5'2 and was approx. 200 lbs when I began running. I never had any issues with knee or shin pain when I began. It could very well be your form, or a combination of both form and wrong shoes.
  • jessicagoble
    jessicagoble Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Just to reiterate what others have said. There's a lot of factors that can cause different pains. I prefer to run about 30mins after I wake up... I do at least a 5 min warm up walk... then when starting out I go nice and slow... working myself up to a steady jog. Try doing the "talking test", if your able to say a few words (not a whole conversation) to a running partner (or to yourself) then you're going the right pace. Also form is key. Roll your shoulders up, back and down, your shoulders shouldn't be stiff and high but loose and low, cup your hands like you are holding a chip in each of them and don't want the chip to break. Also be careful of where you land (some people say middle foot strike and some say heel strike, it really depends on the person) you should never be landing on the ball of your foot. Finally focus your eyes forward, on the horizon in front of you, not at your feet or the sky.

Good shoes are key, if you're a new runner though and don't know if you want to commit to an expensive pair of running shoes, like my new babies (ASICS Ladies Gel-Noosa Tri 8) then I would recommend Champion runners at Payless. I still wear those when I'm running in the rain.
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You may have good quality shoes, but it's not about the quality so much as the fit. If you go to a running store and have yourself professionally fitted, they'll help you pick out shoes that are best suited for you. It's all about how your foot lands when you run. A properly fitted shoe with support in the right areas will better absorb the impact and improve your stride.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/pronation-explained

You may be trying to go at it too hard, too fast though. I used to run six miles a day, but now that I'm getting back into it, I had to start out with HIIT to recondition myself. There's a reason most running programs have you start off painfully slow. You're bound to have soreness the day after (DOMS) with any intensive exercise, though, at least for me, it was much worse starting out. Once you really find your stride, it gets better. If you really suspect something is wrong, you might want to consult your doctor, but most of the time, it comes down to proper shoes and proper form. Some stretching after you run can also help with soreness.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I started running in January and I think everything hurt at some point but I've almost worked it all out. Right now I am dealing with my right hip flexor. It gives me fits on long runs.....8 miles or more.
    Here is what I learned early on. To help with shin splints and/or calf soreness shorten the stride of your run. If your stride is to long your using more of those muscles.
    Warm up with doing a very light jog. Then when you feel a little warmed up go a little faster. The Endomondo app they advertise on here is pretty awesome. I use it all the time.
    Your body is gonna hurt because your tearing it down. You need to learn to also eat correctly to fuel it up for the runs and then feed it when your done. I am still learning this myself but have learned a bunch. I joined a local running group here in San Antonio and I would suggest any of you who are reading this and want to get serious about running to do the same. LOTS of knowledge and don't be scared.......there are all sorts of people in these groups. Some just like you and others who use to be like you. Good luck.

Superdave

Thanks for the advice. Any more on what you mean by "eating right". I've recently decided to eat a paleo diet for 90 days and see what kind of changes/improvements this makes to my overall health. I've been doing it (for the most part) for almost three weeks. No major changes thus far except I am not as hungry as I use to be.
  • lblert
    Options
    When I first started running, I had knee pain. I read up on form and figured out that I was over striding too far in front of my body. It puts more impact on your knee. The other thing was that my feet were not straight when I ran - my toes pointed outward. That strains the knee a well. When I fixed my form, my knees never hurt again.
  • simplypanda
    simplypanda Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello,

When I was in high school I used to have a lot of shin issues, even while walking. I've slowly over time, worked myself up to running, but I still have knee issues sometimes. Did you say you do the 30DS? Do a similar warm up before you run... knee circles, a little cardio, all that. I also always speed walk a bit before I start running. Run at a slow pace at first as well.

What are your arches like? I have extremely and unusually high arches which I think has been part of my problem. As everyone has said, good shoes are very important. I recently went to a store called Road Runner and had my running and feet analyzed. I also had custom made insoles for my arches. Running is a lot more comfortable now!
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    Options
    For me to 'get into it' I had to have good shoes. I had several problems with what I thought were decent running shoes (boy was I wrong!) and hubby did too. It was pricy and a bit of a gamble but it was worth it! It made all the difference AND knowing we spent the money kept us going when we wanted to quit. That was end of July, we just ran our first 5k last weekend and currently run 2.3-2.6 miles 6 days a week.
  • lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Where do you run? I used to have bad luck on cruddy paths, but a new smooth asphalt greenway has helped me a lot. Also, I like to start out by walking and stretching before I start the actual run.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, shoes are critical. I also have to get orthotic inserts because I put my weight on the outside of my foot when I land.

When I first started I could walk faster than I could run. I literally shuffled along barely picking my feet up. Be sure you are relaxed when you are running and are breathing. Once I learned to relax and breath I didn't have near as much pain. I'm running on a knee that I've had two surgeries on and now have tendonitis in, plus I've had back and neck fusions so if I can do it anyone can. I can't run on concrete though. I usually run on hiking trails or on asphalt.

Good luck!
  • cathmaow
    cathmaow Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for shoes and this....

http://www.reddit.com/r/running/wiki/faq

read up there's a lot of information and HELPFUL HINTS.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Ditto ProgressNotPe, I had to get the right shoes before I could actually get into running. I had shin splints so bad for the first week or so of C25K that I could barely walk. Everyone told me to get fitted for shoes, and I finally gave in and did. Once I got fitted for a shoe that worked, I found it on sale for under $80, and I've had no more shin trouble since. If you really want to run, you need the proper shoes. Go to a running store and they'll analyze your gait and tell you what you need, then have you try on different shoes and run on the treadmill in them to find what works for your foot.

I do occasionally get pain in the knee, but it's due to a tight IT band, and once I use the foam roller, I'm good to go.
  • jess4fun
    Options
    Check out pose running and chi running. I have always suffered from horrible shin splints, but with pose, I've done 3 weeks of c25k and haven't had one issue. It takes some practice, but I love it so far. And shoes do make a difference too. I try to keep one pair just for jogging. Good luck.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    First, you have to be able to walk before you run, but they do take different shoes.

So, the shoe advice given above is an absolute necessity if you wish to transform yourself into a runner. The right shoe makes an incredible difference.

Go to a store that does specialize in running and have them evaluate you running and your feet.

Spend a few bucks on the right shoe and your feet, knees, ankles and legs will thank you. And when you find the right shoe, buy two pairs if you can afford them and rotate them. And whatever you do, wear them only for your running not as your daily shoe.

You will naturally feel some discomfort by suddenly extending you muscle exertion to running. However, if the pain causes interference in your running ability, stop running. All you do is run the risk (no pun intended) of causing a chronic injury.

I walked and hiked nearly four years before I made the transition to running. I was surprised at the aerobic base I had developed. But I was able, once I started running, to run a 10K with practically no training....not fast but certainly fast enough.

Six months later, I coming down the home stretch of my training for my first marathon. I am mindful of the little aches and pains and on the lookout for the injuries associated with overtraining. There is a consistency in training that is "required" (for me, three running days a week) AND rest and nutrition become more important the deeper one delves into longer distance running.

Hope this helps.
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You already know lots about shoes....Even the best shoes do not last very long. I replace my shoes at least 2 times per year.

After many failed attempts, I was only successful in running when I incorporated stretching into my run. I would warm up 1/2 a mile and then stop and stretch. After the run I would do a longer stretch and also yoga on off days.

Run/walk and go slow, slow, slow. Do not run through pain. If it hurts, walk. Running through pain is fine after you build up your muscles. Alternate run days with walk days. Do cross training, spin or biking is very good for building up the muscles you need for running. Swimming is good for building up the endurance you need.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I had bad shin splints when I first started running over the summer. I got some gel Asics shoes that were recommended by a friend & paid $40 on sale. After a day or so, the pain was back, so I bought some inserts and have not had a problem since. I do not stretch before or after a run.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    But shouldn't I be able to do a bit of light jogging (because that more accurately describes what I call running at this point) with just a decent pair of shoes? If I'm wrong please tell me but for the amount of running that I have done so far it seems to me like those shoes should've been ok.

Be patient. You need to give your body time to adjust to this new exercise. While running is one of the most primitive things you can do it doesn't mean you're totally prepared for it straight away. Take your time. Be patient. Don't get frustrated with some aches and pains. That doesn't mean you should run with actual pain but if you're a bit uncomfortable then that's fine and expect to feel some soreness and issues with joints and muscles.

There's nothing at all wrong with running some and walking some (more) and don't feel like you're not going fast enough to call it running. Your speed doesn't matter. There are so many different gears. Slow and easy, medium pace, fast, and everything in between. If you're not walking you're running and even walking is a great bridge to running. If you're having issues with your knees then take some days and do the elliptical or stationary bike.

Your shoes. Having better shoes would help but you can do a limited amount of light running in just any shoes that are considered running or athletic shoes. Just address this when you can because it does help quite a bit to have better shoes.

Shins. Run on softer materials if you can like dirt or grass. Even asphalt is better than concrete. Ice them for 15 minutes after you run. Take a break or do some walks if they're sore. It takes time and continued effort to get adjusted but don't give up. Last year at this time I did a 3 mile run that hurt my knees for a week. I was taking ibuprofen for days to keep them from hurting. About one year later.... I did a 16 mile run this Sunday. I was just barely sore the next day and that was just the muscles in my hamstrings which should feel a bit sore after a nice workout. Consistency, work through the tough parts. Patience. More patience. If you are persistent then you'll get there.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I hate running with a passion. If you don't like running don't do it. There's no need to run.
  • julien999
    julien999 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Few things here, I am just getting back to running used to do 35K a day though so I know my stuff with running!

Shoes:
    You need to find out how your foot is naturally hitting the ground in a number of ways. 2 most important are where your foot strikes so do you land heel first, mid foot or toe? for heel you want a shoe with more lift on the heel so a cushioned heel, mid foot you are going to want something with less heel, and toe you are going to want a racing flat but I highly doubt you are toe running.
    Second part of your foot strike is your pronation this is basically the roll your foot/ankle takes here you have 3 options again Under Pronation you are mainly on the outer edge of the foot, Neutral you are not rocking to either side or Pronation you are rolling in on the arch.

Progression:
    A lot of people force themselves to try and run to fast, you need to take it slow and gradually build up to running your first 5km. If you think you are going to be able to just go out and run a 5k in a few weeks you are setting yourself up to fail. Follow the walk and run programs and don't try to jump ahead you are only doing yourself a disservice by doing this.
    Once you can run 5k comfortably don't increase your distance for at least a few weeks, rather work on your speed and form.

Scheduling:
    If you want to be a runner you have to commit to the time it takes to become one and maintain being a runner. Running isn't something you can do once a week you need to stick with it and follow a routine most people do a day on/day off pattern with a double day on once a week. This is the only way you are going to become a great runner.

Terrain:
    If you are having shin and knee problems try getting off hard surfaces and do some trail running or even run on the soft shoulder of the road. If you can't do this its essential that when running on pavement you don't stay on one side of the road to long! Roads are built on slops so if running into traffic is your thing you are constantly hitting your left leg at a fraction of a shorter step. It adds up! and will destroy your knees. I found this out the hard way I try to switch sides .5-1k when on my long runs.

Diet:
    before you run make sure you are fueled but don't eat anything to heavy, eat carbs the night before you plan on running. and keep yourself hydrated!

Breathing:
    This one was the worst for me as an ex smoker, if your lungs are in horrible shape just let them do what they want for now but you are most likely going to end up breathing through your mouth for the first year so bring a water bottle! You lose more moisture through your mouth than nose when breathing.
    As you progressively become a more efficient runner start trying to run with your mouth closed it will be very hard at first if you are able to run with your mouth closed you are at your comfort level and should work on this speed for long runs, gradually increase this by doing speed training. for now dont worry about that!
    Another good indication if you are pushing to hard is if you cant talk without huffing and puffing while running. if you run alone try singing to yourself while you run it helps create a natural rhythm to your breathing and keeps you from pushing to hard.

Cramps:
    if you you start to hurt anywhere other than a side stitch stop and walk pushing through an injury is the worst thing for your progression as a runner. For a side stitch the best thing you can do to clear it is take in the deepest breath you can and then force it out as fast as you can and make a "HAAAAAAAAAAAA" sound forcing every inch of air out as hard and fast as you can. you should only need to do one of these and it will reset your diaphragm (thats what causes stitches usually spazzing diaphragm or other muscle)

Smile:
    While you are running remember to smile it seriously makes even the worst runs feel so much better! no matter how slow you are or how stupid you feel you look you are doing an amazing thing for yourself by putting the effort in. Enjoy it!
  • Christi132
    Christi132 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This is a great post topic and great question I started running/jogging a couple years ago. Started off small (1/4 mile) and topped off at 10 miles. On and off I have tremendous pain. Now I have settled running 5 miles at a time, three days a week. I have learned the hard way that great running shoes are crucial... and then you have retire them every so often and buy new ones. I wish I would have sought help along the way so I would know which pains are normal and which are not. Yes, yoga stretches (after the run) are a GREAT help. As far as I can tell, shin splints aren't serious and can be correct, but once a hip starts hurting you should stop, but it's just a guess. Seek out an expert if you can.
  • julien999
    julien999 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    As far as I can tell, shin splints aren't serious and can be correct, but once a hip starts hurting you should stop, but it's just a guess. Seek out an expert if you can.

Real shin splints are horrible and should never be ran on, a real shin splint is when the bone starts to splinter and pull away from the bone. NEVER run on a shin splint you can do major damage.
This discussion has been closed.