Is wheat an enemy?

Replies

• Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    If you suspect that you might have an intolerance then it might be worth it to give an elimination diet a try and see how you feel being wheat/gluten free. I am NOT celiac but I don't tolerate wheat well.. I seem to do ok with trace amounts of gluten/wheat.. BUT when wheat was a regular part of my diet I could barely make it through a 7 hour shift at work my knees ached so bad. Also I couldn't even close my hands all the way and I did not have full range of motion in my fingers/wrists. I also was on daily synthroid for hypoactive thyroid. I was tired all the time. I did not have "tummy troubles" from wheat, my issues were with inflammation. Since giving up wheat, 90% of my joint issues are resolved... and 100% of the joint/range of motion problems in my hands were resolved. I feel like a normal energized person.... and I have been removed from my thyroid medication. (thankfully, my actual thyroid was not damaged, I had such inflammation that my body couldn't properly use the hormones that my thyroid was producing so it kept screaming for more, but there doesn't seem to be any malfunction of my actual thyroid which is why my condition was reversible.. The vast majority of people NEVER see thyroid conditions reversed... Just throwing that out there so people don't get their hopes up that going off wheat will cure their hypothyroidism)

I don't CARE if people think that I'm just "following a fad" or whatever, I know that my beloved wheat products were causing real harm to my body... As far as a corelation between going wheat free and weight loss, That I don't know... I mean Not being able to eat wheat HAS saved me a few calories when I've HAD to turn down certain things that I might otherwise have splurged on, but I don't think it's enough to make a difference. I will say that I'm able to be a lot more active now.. When I was eating wheat I'd come straight home from work and soak in the tub then put up my legs and cry from the pain... Now I get out of work and go for a four mile walk, or go to zumba class!
  • mandimuscles
    mandimuscles Posts: 107 Member
    I recently discovered after many trips to the drs and being sick for literally about an entire year straight that I can't have gluten. Looking back, I've always had issues and it explains a LOT for me. I've now been totally gluten free for 6 weeks. I lost 7lbs the first week solely in swelling/inflammation weight. Since then the scale has barely moved. I can see a change in my body, for sure, but the scale doesn't reflect the million times healthier diet I'm on. I make basically everything myself from scratch now vs eating out almost every day, that has been discouraging since I've made a major lifestyle change, but I know I'm doing the right thing. If you don't have any issues with gluten, my best advice is to moderate. I'm a HUGE advocate of everything in moderation. But no need to avoid totally, let me tell you, it's a royal pain in the *kitten* and it probably won't help hugely with weight loss on the scale. Hope that helps!
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Wheat is only an enemy if you have an allergy or intolerance. I found I was often feeling ill after eating things with wheat in (but not other gluten) so I try to keep consumption of bread, pasta, baked goods etc to a minimum and I do feel better. I do find weight-loss easier when I do keep it mostly out of my diet, but that's probably because I also had a tendency to overdo it on foods containing wheat.

If you don't have any negative reactions to it there's no point going wheat or gluten-free. However, it is important to include other wholegrains and of course keep everything in moderation.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Wheat is only an enemy if you have an allergy or intolerance...If you don't have any negative reactions to it there's no point going wheat or gluten-free.

This.

I am not sure when everyone became a special snowflake and developed gluten intolerance/allergy/Celiacs. The vast majority of the population can eat gluten with no issues.Equate it to a peanut allergy- it doesn't affect most of us but it can be real trouble for that small minority that truly has an issue.
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Wheat is only an enemy if you have an allergy or intolerance...If you don't have any negative reactions to it there's no point going wheat or gluten-free.

This.

I am not sure when everyone became a special snowflake and developed gluten intolerance/allergy/Celiacs. The vast majority of the population can eat gluten with no issues.Equate it to a peanut allergy- it doesn't affect most of us but it can be real trouble for that small minority that truly has an issue.

It is trendy to be gluten free... that is all I can figure. Not knocking those who yave an actual medical problem, but suddenly everyone is jumping on the gluten free bus without even knowing for sure if they actually need to...
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Gluten intolerance is a real thing, but it's rare. It just happens to be trendy right now for people to self-diagnose it. In any event, personal anecdote ---> I eat wheat, and I am successfully losing weight.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Gluten intolerance is a real thing, but it's rare. It just happens to be trendy right now for people to self-diagnose it. In any event, personal anecdote ---> I eat wheat, and I am successfully losing weight.

Meh, I self diagnosed mine through an elimination diet.. I was hoping that if my problems were dietary that the issue would be DAIRY.. I was horrified when through the process of a CONTROLLED elimination diet that the issue was with wheat. I mean, I used to make homemade flour tortillas almost daily, I ate couscous for BREAKFAST.. I LOVED my wheat. My doctor says there's no reason for me to go through the testing process since in order to do that I'd have to start eating wheat again AND the tests do not always reveal a positive for all intolerences to every protein in wheat anyway. Not everyone who cannot tolerate wheat has a problem with the GLUTEN. Not everyone who has a problem with wheat has celiacs.
  • So I have been hearing about wheat making a big difference in weight loss. (Or rather, not eating wheat.) What has your experience been? Should I try gluten-free??
    It helped me break a plateau. I can't say whether it's because wheat is inherently bad or if it's simply that cutting out wheat means cutting out a lot of processed foods (also doing primal/paleoish).

Either way, it won't hurt you to try it if you're interested. I don't think gluten free will do much for you weight wise if all you do is buy all the 'gluten free' junk food, though. I have mostly switched out bread and pasta for veggies and potatoes (and meat!) with the occasional bit of rice.

[for the record, I haven't cut it out entirely. I just try to 'minimize' it - and don't plan meals around it. That doesn't mean I don't have the occasional piece of bread or pasta]
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    So I have been hearing about wheat making a big difference in weight loss. (Or rather, not eating wheat.) What has your experience been? Should I try gluten-free??

If you have some reason to believe you are gluten sensitive or intollerant, you might want to try it. But unless you have symptoms (bloating, GI distress, etc.) only when eating something with gluten, then no.

I eat wheat several days a week with no problems.
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    I don't think eliminating something that may cause a problem means you are hopping into "special snowflake" category. I have very bad vitiligo so I am trying it. *shrug* If it helps great, if it doesn't, no harm no foul. There is evidence of a connection between gluten and some autoimmune disorders. I am also trying to watch soy for the same reason. People who have autoimmune issues or joint inflammation may benefit from it.
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Agree though that it doesn't necessarily help weight loss - I have lost weight eating a very high carb, wheat filled diet in the past. I think it's "trendy" now because more people are trying it to see if they can help chronic conditions. I don't think that's a bad thing at all. It's no different than someone making dietary changes for high cholesterol, diabetes, etc.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    I really appreciate everyone taking time to answer my question. It sounds like there is a wide range of experiences with this particular topic. I suppose I could also get a test from the doctor at my next physical? For people who have gone gluten free-- do you feel improved sense of well being, ect? (Allergy or Choice?)

I'm confused. In the original post, it didn't sound like you thought you had an allergy. Just that you'd heard it was good for weight loss. Why would you get a test unless you're having physical symptoms that make you think you might be allergic? In general, normal people lose weight when they cut out gluten because they consume less calories. The people who do have sensitivities should actually feel better from their symptoms; they don't simply lose weight. They have an actual reason for no longer consuming it.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Gluten free or wheat friendly, it's still about portion control, planning, and exercising.

Very well said! There is no magic thing you can do that will make weight melt off. :flowerforyou:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    No effects of gluten in patients with self-reported non-celiac gluten sensitivity after dietary reduction of fermentable, poorly absorbed, short-chain carbohydrates.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23648697
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    It only matters if you NEED to go gluten-free. You can try taking it out of your diet and see if that helps. If not then just use in moderation.
  • izWHATitIz
    izWHATitIz Posts: 73 Member
    Take a gander at Dr. Davis's book Wheat Belly. It breaks down alot of thing about today's wheat compare to that which was grown 40-50 years ago. The majority of the wheat today is GMO product which is ideal to avoid anyways. I cannot say that it helps you lose weight but the GMO modification to it is not healthy for anyone even if they are not glutien sensitive. And it's almost impossible to remove wheat since it's used as a filler in just about everything.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Take a gander at Dr. Davis's book Wheat Belly. It breaks down alot of thing about today's wheat compare to that which was grown 40-50 years ago. The majority of the wheat today is GMO product which is ideal to avoid anyways. I cannot say that it helps you lose weight but the GMO modification to it is not healthy for anyone even if they are not glutien sensitive. And it's almost impossible to remove wheat since it's used as a filler in just about everything.

Why recommend a work of fiction?
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    corn worries me more... or should i say, cornfields worry me more.

000349_11.jpg
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    i have a gluten sensitivity (along with many other sensitivities) my suggestion is that if you go gluten free do NOT go out and buy a bunch of gluten free bread, crackers, brownies, etc etc etc because they are also filled with crap/not nutritious and you will not lose weight. i cut out wheat products but i also have no eaten any wheat alternatives like rice pasta or whatever. i eat spaghetti squash or zucchini pasta now. i feel a WHOLE lot better. Once in a while I will allow myself to have something with wheat but wont overdo it.
  • izWHATitIz
    izWHATitIz Posts: 73 Member

Why recommend a work of fiction?

Considering the 21 pages of references I would hardley consider it a work of fiction. Today's wheat is highly modified on various levels just as soy and corn are.