Addicted to food, really?

Options

Replies

• sueann8
    Options
    I am truly addicted to Pepsi and I am fighting it everyday.
    It has been 15 days since my last Pepsi. I am trying to be strong.
  • mooie70
    mooie70 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yeah....heroin addicts aren't really addicted either. They just have no freaking willpower...those buggers! :wink:

You know, there's a reason that medical and mental health professionals refer to "addiction" in the case of heroin and not in the case of food.

Says who?
  • mooie70
    Options
    Yeah....heroin addicts aren't really addicted either. They just have no freaking willpower...those buggers! :wink:

You know, there's a reason that medical and mental health professionals refer to "addiction" in the case of heroin and not in the case of food.

Talk with some more doctors...many Believe in addiction to food.

This ^^
  • Xtrobelights
    Xtrobelights Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    What's with the "herself" and "she" cause men lack self control when it comes to food too too not just women.

The English language doesn't have a gender-neutral singular pronoun.

"Themselves" "them" or "they" lol
  • mooie70
    Options
    Considering I work in behavioral health and am also in recovery for bulimia, I assure the ignorant that yes, addiction to food does exist.

:flowerforyou:
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Something is an addiction if it screws up multiple areas of a person's life, basically (work, family, health, friendships, relationship, etc.). It is indeed possible to be addicted to food or to a particular food. However, I think people throw that term around a lot when what they really mean is that they like food or a particular food a lot and eat too much of it, not they are actually engaging in behaviors that would fit the clinical definition of addiction.
  • brandon_2A
    Options
    I never wanted to say that I was addicted to food because I feel the same way you (the OP) does...addictions are simply weaknesses that could be overcome if the addict wanted to. I feel that way about smoking, drinking, gambling, drugs, food, all of it....

I'm not a psych major and don't pretend to be but I think people and their issues are generally pretty easy to figure out. I think it has a lot to do with how a person grew up. I was born 2 months early (back in '82 apparently it was kind of a big deal), so I was a tiny baby and small until age 5 or 6? I can remember relatives always wanting me to eat because I was such a small kid. Once I caught up to everyone else my age I remember my mom portioning out my meals, saying things like "no, you've had enough" and "no, that's plenty for you." And then I would visit Nan, who spoiled me to ridiculous levels(keep in mind, I'm not saying it's anyone's fault. I've just spent a lot of time trying to figure out why I am the way I am). Anything I wanted, at any time, and as much of it as I pleased. I guess as a little kid I associated the unrestricted flow of junk food into my face as love. It made me feel good. Of course I felt like crap later but I didn't care. Then I had to go back home with people who obviously didn't love me as much because they said I couldn't eat whatever I wanted (sarcasm). Somewhere in all of this is where I think I made the association with shoveling food into my mouth with feeling good. It got removed from the people and places where I learned it, and it was it's own feeling independent of my surroundings. I remember sneaking food to my room. If they weren't going to give it to me I'd just take it. For years.

That mentality stayed with me into adulthood. I knew that when I had a bad day at work, or was stressed or upset or anything eating a ton of whatever I wanted made me feel good. Of course I also knew that it wasn't healthy and was making my weight problem worse, I never lied to myself about that, but I didn't care. At the time, it was worth it. I was the king of "next week". Start working out and eating better "next week". Years of "next week"s.

There was no one event that made me change, after 30 years I just said enough is enough. Interestingly enough (to me), is that I can smoke cigarettes and drink beer as much or as little as I want and have never felt a shred of addiction to either. No drug, alcohol or artificial chemical ever makes me feel as good as food.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I am probably going to catch some major flack for this one, but oh well what the hell, I am used to it.
    This is like beginning a sentence with "no offense, but". If you have to start your comment like that, you probably shouldn't continue.
    I do not think that anyone can be "addicted to food", it just seems like a strange concept to me. I mean if you do not have that food will you have withdrawals? I just think that it is an excuse that people use to tell themselves that they can't eat certain foods, or to just blame their obesity issue on something else, or to cover up an underlying mental health issue. I mean people binge, but to me that seems tied into more of a mental health issue or just bad relationship with food.
    I don't have withdrawal when I quit drinking. So by your logic, that means alcoholics just lack self control or have a bad relationship with alcohol. Right? :huh:

you have obviously never seen a true alcoholic go through withdrawals then, I assume?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    What's with the "herself" and "she" cause men lack self control when it comes to food too too not just women.

how about "us' and "we"
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that everyone is addicted to food. I think what people mean with the carb binging is that eating carbs is a pleasurable experience, probably dopamine release, and they are addicted to the pleasure of eating sweet things.

thats an interesting thought...I like sweet things too, but I can have one to two servings and be done with them....
    I can have one or two drinks and be done. Does that mean alcoholism isn't real?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

how about "us' and "we"

Not one is those words is singular.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to breathing. Anytime I stop, I go through severe withdraws and pass out.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm addicted to breathing. Anytime I stop, I go through severe withdraws and pass out.

LOL
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I am probably going to catch some major flack for this one, but oh well what the hell, I am used to it.
    This is like beginning a sentence with "no offense, but". If you have to start your comment like that, you probably shouldn't continue.
    I do not think that anyone can be "addicted to food", it just seems like a strange concept to me. I mean if you do not have that food will you have withdrawals? I just think that it is an excuse that people use to tell themselves that they can't eat certain foods, or to just blame their obesity issue on something else, or to cover up an underlying mental health issue. I mean people binge, but to me that seems tied into more of a mental health issue or just bad relationship with food.
    I don't have withdrawal when I quit drinking. So by your logic, that means alcoholics just lack self control or have a bad relationship with alcohol. Right? :huh:

oh and to address the flack part - I meant it that people on MFP tend to overreact..and if you read through this post, you will see that is, in fact true...
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Considering I work in behavioral health and am also in recovery for bulimia, I assure the ignorant that yes, addiction to food does exist.

I will raise my hand as a diagnosed bulimic (freshly diagnosed as of yesterday, when my diagnosis changed from EDNOS to Bulimia) and say that I am addicted to food. It is 100% mental. No, I'm not going to end up having hallucinations and night sweats from not being able to eat a chocolate bar, but food is constantly on my mind like an addiction. I think about it constantly. What to eat, what not to eat. I have panic attacks over food.

I will also say though that my mental block with food has caused harm to my body. Because of my eating disorder I battle an addiction to laxatives, my blood pressure is low, my heart rate is too low, I have problems with oxygen saturation, I have issues with my kidneys from diuretic abuse, I have issues with my joints, I've struggled with exercise addiction in the past, my hair is falling out, my teeth are falling out, I'm on tons of medications and have to see a doctor twice a week to check all my vitals. I do intense therapy and have to see a psychiatrist.

I think anything that makes you feel good can be addicting. But there are certain addictions are that are mental, not physical. Sex, food, exercise, shopping, ect.
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It's not addiction....it's GREED, plain and simple.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Greed?? care to elaborate?

that seems a bit much....
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

Greed?? care to elaborate?

that seems a bit much....
    agreed.
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options

IGNORANCE..plain and simple.
  • PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I never wanted to say that I was addicted to food because I feel the same way you (the OP) does...addictions are simply weaknesses that could be overcome if the addict wanted to. I feel that way about smoking, drinking, gambling, drugs, food, all of it....

This is not the definition of an addiction, it never was, and it never will be. Addictions can be physiological, psychological, or simply compulsive beyond the sufferer's control. Addicts will oftentimes feel incredibly despondent and negative about their conditions and make great efforts to change it, but will relapse.
    That is why part of recovering from addiction is relapsing, you will, in all likelihood, in all cases of addiction, relapse. These can be from simple nervous tics that relieve tension in anxiety suffers, like biting your fingernails, or pulling hair, to full on drug addiction where the user feels physically and psychologically compelled to use. Not using is not the same as not being an addict. People who have eating disorders do not always engage in those eating disorders, but will still feel the same negative emotions from them. This could be an over-eater who doesn't over-eat but feels the negative connotations that come with it, the thought of wasting, the strong urge to do it, and the resultant anxiety from not engaging in the addiction, if you over-eat and have those feelings at the same time, then you are a using addict. That is being an addict, and it is a marked difference from people who just stuff their faces out of sheer boredom or no control on their diet, that is what every single person in this thread who asserts that they had over ate and could "easily" solve that problem. The issue isn't that people who suffer from eating addiction have low self-control, it's that you never had self-control in the first place. People with an eating addiction will become fat because of their addiction, you will become fat because you are a slob.
    This is the difference, you are projecting your own stupidity onto others, just because you got fat because of poor self control, doesn't mean that there aren't skinny/average/fat people who don't have a legitimate addiction to eating food.
    Wanting to and needing to are two incredibly different things. You want to eat food, addicts feel like they NEED to eat food.

Please understand the basics of the subjects before you deign to fill this topic with stupidity.
    You are ignorant, you have nothing but anecdotal evidence and refuse to do the actual research as to why various forms of addiction exists. There are people who chronically over eat, they are not hungry, they do not even want to eat, but they feel a grave compulsion to do so. This is no more controllable that someone who suffers from borderline personality disorder or other thought disturbances. The of self control is not the moment when you see a food item and keep yourself from eating it, self control in a sufferer's of addiction perspective is attempting to dispel the obsessive thoughts that create the addiction. These are thoughts like "I am a bad person if I do not do that thing." or "If I don't do that thing I will have a panic attack." or "I have to do that thing because it's the most important thing."
    THAT is the root of the addiction, not eating the food, but the thinking behind it.

Once again, you saying that these addictions aren't real and are a symptom of loose self-control and excuse making goes against decades of psychological and physiological research. Also keep in mind that your body's hormones and metabolism matches your diet, so you can very, very, very easily have your body be incredibly stubborn and refuse to adapt to a newer diet with less food in it. This is something even body builders suffer from when they switch from their bulking phase to their cutting phase. Rapidly changing diet, or even slowly changing diet, especially if that diet has been a fixture for an extended period of time, is something your body does not enjoy doing, and your body very slowly adapts to those changes in diet by adjusting your metabolism and hormones.
    There are hormones that are directly link to the feeling of hunger or the satisfaction of eating, and those become more prevalent the more and more someone eats. This is why it's significantly more difficult for people to lose weight the larger they become.

I haven't been overweight since I was in elementary school, and I've never suffered from compulsive eating or any real addictions beyond a brief period of smoking for the course of a year, but it's very, very easy to understand that these things are real, they do exist, and there's an enormous difference between an addict and someone lacking in self control.

Do some research instead of making yourself look like a fool.