Alcohol Conundrum

Options

Replies

• x2greenxeyes
    Options
    Thanks for all the help!

For everyone getting offended about the "we all" statement-

I think it's really rude of you to feel the need to point out that I made this "assumption." This is suppose to be a positive and encouraging website.

Instead of being helpful or not saying anything you decided that it was more important to try and make me feel negative about typing 5 letters on a keyboard.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    It's just like anything else...fit it in and drink whatever you like to drink

I totally agree. I make room during the week for my red wine on the weekends. If I have not made room I work out or hike so that my calories balance with my red wine.
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have had this conundrum too. At least I did until I sank a 3/4 bottle of Sauv Blanc tonight.

I am back on the wagon and have resisted a drink since July, which for someone that has battled with alcohol for years, was pretty impressive. However, a social occasion arose tomorrow and I want to have a drink, looking forward to having a cheeky one or two. However, I am a little concerned about getting wasted and undoing lots of great hard work.

I suppose the reality is that these occasions will come up and we just have to roll with them. Maybe moderate a little, maybe balance it with a glass of water or two. Maybe ensure we eat well before going out. Painkillers at the ready. Bowl by the side of the bed.

Tonight, was merely a practice session for tomorrow and I have to say it's been a resounding success. I have been able to walk a squiggly line, I can slur my words and the room is spinning. I can't wait for tomorrow! :drinker:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help!

I think it's really rude of you to feel the need to point out that I made this "assumption." This is suppose to be a positive and encouraging website.

Instead of being helpful or not saying anything you decided that it was more important to try and make me feel negative about typing 5 letters on a keyboard.

Yay for skinny margaritas!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Like most of the prior posters, I exercise a bit more on days I know I'll have a few drinks, plan my meals accordingly, and just suck it up and log it. I usually stick to red wine or light beers. I'm planning on a glass or two of wine tonight :drinker:
  • Zelinna
    Zelinna Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Rum & Diet Coke,
    Gin and Soda w/ lemon
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help!

Don't let her comments bother you. I'm sure that a lot of her 10,000 posts are unsupportive and mean spirited as this one was. There are more than a few people here that don't give any type of positive feedback ever.
  • x2greenxeyes
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone!

I think I have decided on tequila with low cal lemonade and lemon when at home and definitely skinny margaritas out :))
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    red red wine makes me feel so fine
  • nanadeek
    nanadeek Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with this, but have learned a few things:

Timing:
    When I'm trying to maximize the effects of alcohol but don't want to drink all night I make sure to hydrate (this works for me) and drink on a nearly empty stomach. Granted this takes some experimentation to avoid getting sick, but it's worth it calorically and financially, to achieve "toasty" from a glass and a half of wine or one cocktail. But don't skip eating altogether. That's not a good look.

Budget for it:
    I second hitting the gym before a night out AND sticking to hard alcohol and diet soda. Log it of course, but you'll be pleasantly surprised by the wiggle room you have when you burn first and drink later.

Have a stand by ahead of time:
    Another good bang for my caloric buck is artisan IPA. I can't drink artisan beer as quickly as a cocktail so it lasts quite a bit longer and since it's an artisan beer, there's generally a higher alcohol percentage so I don't drink as many.

Another alcohol option is to learn to like wine. Again, if you budget for it - alcohol content is generally slightly higher than a commercial beer, you'll still sip it rather than glug it, and if budgeted for is fairly inexpensive calorically. If you stick with a prosecco or a reisling you'll spend 105 - 118 calories per 5 oz glass but slightly higher carb content than a red.

Stay away from moscatos, and roses, and champagnes. I find that the sweeter wines have a waaaaay higher sugar and carbohydrate content than you would think.
  • randomtai
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone!

I think I have decided on tequila with low cal lemonade and lemon when at home and definitely skinny margaritas out :))

Awesome... that is my favorite (if you couldn't already tell :laugh: )
    Also check this website out, it gives you the calorie count to most alcoholic beverages:
    http://getdrunknotfat.com/
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help!

Don't let her comments bother you. I'm sure that a lot of her 10,000 posts are unsupportive and mean spirited as this one was. There are more than a few people here that don't give any type of positive feedback ever.

Not sure who you're talking about but (a) I don't see anyone with 10,000 posts and (b) everyone on this page is trying to be helpful (and those you single out are often helpful in previous posts, too!). I posted similar threads in the past asking about alcohol consumption, & I totally missed what the majority of people were saying - that it's fine to drink if you fit it into your cals & your goals, that you can choose lower-calorie options, and that a couple drinks a week won't kill your diet.

However, what I found myself thinking after reading the responses to these threads was "oh cool! all these people are skinny and they drink - I must be able to do it and lose weight too!" What I failed to notice was that the majority of people (and the vast majority in this thread) are relegating their alcohol to one or two days a week, and offsetting it with less calories and extra cardio.

So yes, I DO appreciate the perspective that not all of us drink (even though I do). In fact, MOST of the best-looking, in-best-shape people I know have either cut the booze out entirely & have significantly scaled back.

I'm off my soapbox, but I get annoyed (1) when people get easily offended and (2) when people miss the forest for the trees.

People may be trying to help - just because you didn't get the answer you wanted doesn't make their point invalid.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Wine spritzers, any short with sugar free mixer, or water. I workout on Saturdays, eat bulky low calorie meals and use about 700 calories to drink with :drinker:
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help!

Not sure who you're talking about but (a) I don't see anyone with 10,000 posts and (b) everyone on this page is trying to be helpful (and those you single out are often helpful in previous posts, too!). I posted similar threads in the past asking about alcohol consumption, & I totally missed what the majority of people were saying - that it's fine to drink if you fit it into your cals & your goals, that you can choose lower-calorie options, and that a couple drinks a week won't kill your diet.

However, what I found myself thinking after reading the responses to these threads was "oh cool! all these people are skinny and they drink - I must be able to do it and lose weight too!" What I failed to notice was that the majority of people (and the vast majority in this thread) are relegating their alcohol to one or two days a week, and offsetting it with less calories and extra cardio.

So yes, I DO appreciate the perspective that not all of us drink (even though I do). In fact, MOST of the best-looking, in-best-shape people I know have either cut the booze out entirely & have significantly scaled back.

I'm off my soapbox, but I get annoyed (1) when people get easily offended and (2) when people miss the forest for the trees.

People may be trying to help - just because you didn't get the answer you wanted doesn't make their point invalid.

Just out of interest, why would looks come into this? Do people that are not the best looking cut down on their alcohol intake, too?
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with this, but have learned a few things:

Timing:
    When I'm trying to maximize the effects of alcohol but don't want to drink all night I make sure to hydrate (this works for me) and drink on a nearly empty stomach. Granted this takes some experimentation to avoid getting sick, but it's worth it calorically and financially, to achieve "toasty" from a glass and a half of wine or one cocktail. But don't skip eating altogether. That's not a good look.

Budget for it:
    I second hitting the gym before a night out AND sticking to hard alcohol and diet soda. Log it of course, but you'll be pleasantly surprised by the wiggle room you have when you burn first and drink later.

Have a stand by ahead of time:
    Another good bang for my caloric buck is artisan IPA. I can't drink artisan beer as quickly as a cocktail so it lasts quite a bit longer and since it's an artisan beer, there's generally a higher alcohol percentage so I don't drink as many.

Another alcohol option is to learn to like wine. Again, if you budget for it - alcohol content is generally slightly higher than a commercial beer, you'll still sip it rather than glug it, and if budgeted for is fairly inexpensive calorically. If you stick with a prosecco or a reisling you'll spend 105 - 118 calories per 5 oz glass but slightly higher carb content than a red.

Stay away from moscatos, and roses, and champagnes. I find that the sweeter wines have a waaaaay higher sugar and carbohydrate content than you would think.

:flowerforyou:

I loved this. Thank you.

Though I did think Champagne was one of the lowest calorie things with alcohol. Dammit
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Empty calories
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My go to alcohol: if at outback i do the skinny rita trio cause I like mixed sweet drinks. If going somehwere else an bringing own alcohol i like the skinnygirl brand pina colada. Beware trying the other kinds, I threw away a whole bottle of the white peach margherita......so gross. And I never through away any alcohol. Also vodka and v8 for bloody mary's and red wine like a good sangria. I love Buena Vista vinyards stuff.
  • randomtai
    Options
    Empty calories

Yeah... no.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Just out of interest, why would looks come into this? Do people that are not the best looking cut down on their alcohol intake, too?

I'm talking lookswise in the sense that when I drink, my face gets bloated, my skin looks reddish & I generally look way crappier than when I don't drink. Probably due to dehydration & your body compensating by retaining water.

I don't mean that people who are prettier don't drink, I didn't phrase that in the best possible way.