Was this rude or not?

Options
123457»

Replies

• joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    Yeah that was pretty rude. It is one thing if you move somewhere permanently and make no attempt to learn the language, but having a private conversation in your native language when you're fluent in another one is completely different.

***THIS***

I will add this... If you are in a country, anytime you do business, I think you must do your level best to communicate in the country's language, rather than communicating in your native tongue... but in this situation, it was a private conversation, I think it's okay!
    Without meaning to be chippy... I don't think the English speakers need to tell Spanish speakers this.

I willl reiterate, if someone speaks no English while living here, it is likely because they are very isolated socially, else they'd have picked it up. Include them, be kind, make them feel welcome... that is what will help, not demonising them.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    he sux! keep speaking your language, that is the way your family communicates. Tell him to mind his own damn business!:explode:
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Bandwagon thread which includes a silly question with an obvious answer.

Love these.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Its also pretty hypocritical, because if there is something Brits are famous for it's the lack of foreign language skills and general arrogance in assuming "well everyone speaks English anyway!".

Sweeping generalisation.

Erm no it's not.

Foreign languages skills among Brits are still shocking when compared to European neighbours.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3930963.stm

62% of people surveyed can’t speak any other language apart from English.
    38% of Britons speak at least one foreign language, 18% speak two and only 6% of the population speak three or more.
    The European Union average showed that 56% speak at least one foreign language, 28% speak at least two and 11% speak three or more. The survey confirmed that English was the most widely-spoken foreign language. 51% of EU citizens can have a conversation in English.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Language can be a tricky issue. I speak just enough spanish to keep my spanish speaking students guessing about whether I can understand what they're saying. I speak just enough german to get it mixed up with my spanish. I think it's great that many of my students are truly bilingual and I don't get annoyed or upset when the parents don't speak a word of english as long as they're encouraging their children to learn both, and to be clear, I have never met a parent yet who didn't want their child to speak both.

I do however completely understand when my husband gets a little short with customers. He does pest control and regularly goes out to people's homes. Many times, if it is a spanish speaking family, he can tell they are home, but they won't answer the door and instead call the office asking them to send out someone else, basically causing him to waste an hour of his time because they don't want to deal with someone that doesn't speak spanish, but he really has to watch his mouth when they have the gall to confront him and insist on him explaining why he doesn't speak spanish!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    We have asshats over here stateside as well that say the same thing. I just saw a bumper sticker saying something like that the other day.
    I think if you're going to move to a country, you should learn the common language of that country. I think that is very important.

However, I see nothing wrong with speaking one's native language with other speakers of that language even once you've learned the common language.

That said, if you're a tourist in a country, I wouldn't expect you to speak the language.

What do you mean when you say "move to a country"? Cause we have bases all over the world and not many Americans try to learn the language. Same goes with American Expats in other places. We just expect everyone to speak English.
    Are you seriously trying to pick this fight with me?

what? How am I picking a fight? I was asking what you mean by moving to a country, if you mean migration or just a move for a certain amount of years.

But scratch the question it seems to be a sensitive issue that might promote a fight.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    The guy was being a jerk, I think you did the right thing making your family feel comfortable. It wasn't a conversation you were holding with him it was one with your family. Plus your family will be there for ya forever that guy prob you only might see a couple times in your life. Just ignore him don't let it get to ya and tell yourself he's just one jerk in the world most people aren't that mean and would have no problem with your speaking to your family in your own language. :)
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Not rude of you at all. My sister-in-law is from Mexico, and she feels more comfortable speaking Spanish with my brother who is her husband, her kids, my parents, and my other brother, all of whom speak Spanish fluently. My remaining brother and I don't speak fluently, but even when we're all together, the conversation frequently transitions between English and Spanish. So even while in company where the language is not understood by some, I would say that speaking in your native tongue is acceptable. If others feel excluded or offended, it's a problem they'll have to work through on their own. Don't worry about it at all.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Dude's an *kitten*.
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    You weren't even speaking to him so he needs to keep himself out of your business!!! He was being sooooo RUDE!!!! I think he was jealous because he couldn't understand to eavesdrop on your conversation....hahaha!!!!! :D
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Some guy comes and says 'Hey this is England, speak English please. If you are coming here, you have to speak like us'. He was kinda annoyed.
    So relieved it was England. I thought this nonsense only went on in the U.S. I'm never bothered by people speaking Spanish. I'm bothered by the fact that my Spanish isn't as good as it could be. Me encanta el idioma espanol. Tengo que aprender a hablar con fluidez.