Exercise for woman with naturally big shoulders?

Options
Hi guys, I am doing cardio and strength training for 2 months, 4x week, have been on gym before in not a distant past.

I've big shoulders since I know myself as human, and I always wanted swimming as a hobby/sport, my dad competes amateurish and I always loved water, but I am very afraid of looking too manly.

I m not fat but not thin either right now, around 25% fat, but my arms are around 14', I am 5'2''. Is this too much for a woman?

Would swimming 2x week make arms or shoulders big? Or is it a myth? Only athletes become like that?

Thank you ladies and boys for the advice :)

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    No exercise can change your genetics. If you want to swim, go swim and if you get big shoulders, well rock them. I love having muscular shoulders because they balance my pear shape.
  • TaurusV
    Options
    But mine are big shoulder and arms, the things that grow more in me are them and the legs become thin. Would swimming worsen it? Do you swim regularly?

I guess you are right, is a very sexist world. but I feel kinda bad when I see me and hubby together and realize I have bigger shoulders than him :(

You feel ok with it? Nobody ever bullied you out of it? I went all my high school without wearing tanks and sleeveless.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Same exercises that women with narrow shoulders do. Swim.
  • Italiangrey
    Options
    I have large shoulder muscles too and they build with swimming, as they would with any exercise.

Why is this a sexist world?
  • TaurusV
    Options
    My ex always commented on my shoulders and arms and how if I kept strength training/kept doing martial arts would make me look like a man for example. I am not saying everybody is like this. But this idea that the woman has to be delicate to be beautiful. Many men and women I know still think like this.
  • Italiangrey
    Options
    My ex always commented on my shoulders and arms and how if I kept strength training/kept doing martial arts would make me look like a man for example. I am not saying everybody is like this. But this idea that the woman has to be delicate to be beautiful. Many men and women I know still think like this.

Look like a man? Having muscles doesnt make you look like a man. As long as you dont have that view then youre fine.
  • Yanicka1
    Options

I don't care what other people think.....and if I have bigger shoulder than a man.....he does not have nearly enough muscle mass and really, this is not my problem.
  • Italiangrey
    Options

I don't care what other people think.....and if I have bigger shoulder than a man.....he does not have nearly enough muscle mass and really, this is not my problem.

YES amen to this
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

YES amen to this

Yes.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    TBH if you have big shoulders/arms naturally, then no exercise is going to change your shape. They may get bigger or smaller through exercise (I don't swim now, used to regularly and never had an issue with it), but at the end of the day just do what you want to do a who cares what others think.

Personally I'd quite like bigger shoulders, I don't care if others don't, because that's what I want. Rock what you've got! If you're worried they look out of proportion you could always work on adding a bit of size/muscle to your legs to balance things out?
  • laureni443
    Options

FACE PALM
    I am having trouble figuring why you're changing your body based on what your EX said.

And if youre telling me that women with muscles look like men, no they dont. The definition of a woman has changed and you need to stop living in the 50s
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

YES amen to this

Yes.

Agreed!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Is this a conversation with spambots?
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I swam my whole life, and I still do. I definitely have big shoulders and arms, but they give me strength enough to pull off some pretty nice poses in yoga these days.

I have been on the receiving end of a few snide remarks from *kitten* guys in the past, but you just have to look at the source.

I love to swim. I love yoga. They both make me who I am today. I would never even consider giving up either because of someone's perceptions of shoulders that are "too masculine" for a female.
  • Yanicka1
    Options
    Awful ....just awful ....someone should tell her she look manly

8605468115_89f6bfc434_m.jpg
    image by yanicka.hachez, on Flickr
  • Italiangrey
    Options

U look gorgeous and dont bother with wut the OP say
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

Zomg that's my dream body. That and a pic of Jillian Michaels <3
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have naturally broad shoulders...I have never minded them...

The offset my wider hips and make my waist look smaller.

As for what anyone else might say about them...they just jelly.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I bet, that when you can finally do pull ups, your arms and back are going to be exquisite.
  • Italiangrey
    Options

Zomg that's my dream body. That and a pic of Jillian Michaels <3

Watchout OP say she a man lol and thats just society