How do you make plain non-fat Greek yogurt taste good?

Options

Replies

• zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    -beat about 1 Tbsp per egg into my scrambled eggs. Adds a little more protein and makes them really light and fluffy.

-mix it 50/50 with peanut butter as a sweet potato topping.

-drizzle with honey or maple syrup, fruit and nuts, +/- flax or granola
  • te4cup_
    Options
    I love it on it's own, haha. But sometimes I mix in berries or add it to a smoothie, or have it with my special k as a substitute for milk c:
  • maracuya23
    Options
    I prefer 2%, but my recipes could work just as well with nonfat.

Base: 1 cup yogurt + 2 tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut* + 1.5tbsp flax meal (mix)
    Top the base with:
    Fresh peaches
    Honey roasted peanut butter + chopped green apples (+ cinnamon optional)
    Fresh figs + drizzle raw honey (or stew figs with honey and a bit of balsamic)
    Fresh strawberries and some dried lavender
    Fresh pears + ground cardamom ( & toasted hazelnuts optional)

Smoothie with base + 1/2 cup passionfruit pulp* + 1tsp fresh ginger + 1/2 cup mango

* I highly recommend the frozen Goya brand fruits ( often in the "latin/ hispanic" section of a store); cheap, no added sugar, and great quality
  • _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Add a serving worth of brownie, cookie or cake dry mix. Trust me, it's amazingly good! :)
  • gayleanne57
    Options
    I put my Greek yoghurt in with oats, almond milk, chia seeds and some fruit etc. if you have a look t overnight oatmeal you will get some really yummy filling breakfasts.
  • anu_active
    anu_active Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Roni from Roni Weighs has the some seriously delicious ideas: http://ronisweigh.com/2013/05/20-fun-yogurt-topping-ideas.html
  • judechalmers
    judechalmers Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    with garlic, diced cucumber , fresh coriander , drizzle o/oil -its fab
  • foolsforsarah
    Options
    used to be my favorite until i took out dairy.

add honey, a drop of vanilla extract (or any extract)
    and freash fruit!!!
    oh and cinnamon!
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    PB2
  • rhibhi
    rhibhi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The brand I buy is a naturally sweet breakfast style greek yoghurt with vanilla bean added. It's really nice on its own but I add 30gm dry oats, berries (frozen or fresh) and a teaspoon of honey. Yum!
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I... just eat it plain. That might be gross to a lot of people, but it tastes good to me.

Suits me that way, too. I find fromage blanc, 0% sugar and 0% fat equally good, and half the price
  • sophorae
    sophorae Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Red

You could try draining it some more. I use a cloth or a coffee filter paper in a strainer over a bowl. Pour in plain yoghurt, fold the cloth over, put a saucer on top and a heavy can on that. Put in the fridge and the next morning you should have a lovely thick cream without the sour yellow liquid that yoghurt makes. You can use any plain yoghurt for this.

For a party turn it straight out onto a platter, circle it with mango chutney or drizzle on sweet chilli sauce and serve with vege crudites, plain corn chips or flat bread triangles crisped in the oven.

There are plenty of suggestions for flavourings from other posters but I like a pinch of salt and ground cumin or coriander.

Oh! one other thing. I have tried lots of Greek yoghurts - every brand is different. Some I like, some are disgusting. So if you are not enjoying the one you use, why not experiment with others.
  • mlj765
    mlj765 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I... just eat it plain. That might be gross to a lot of people, but it tastes good to me.

I do the same for natural yoghurt. You get used to it, I suppose. :)
  • rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    In my smoothies, or with honey and cinnamon.
  • ButterflyJourney
    ButterflyJourney Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    In smoothies. FAGE greek yogurt is the best. I use the 0% and add walnuts and 1 Splenda for a tasty treat; or i add Bear Naked granola and have it fir breakfast
  • gogoboobzilla
    gogoboobzilla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Nutella.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I hate the plain stuff... even just the vanilla is way better.
  • cmariolis
    Options
    Make tzatziki with it and then dip carrots or celery in it.
  • withoutaname
    withoutaname Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit!