The worst job you ever had.

Options

Replies

• vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    When I was 13 worked at a racehorse track, the job was a lot of fun. But I had to help with the horses being put down, that was so sad because I spent a lot of time with the horses.
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    8 hour shifts, sitting at a conveyor belt, picking shell out of chopped walnuts. Mind numbing, Soul destroying. £1.87 an hour.

You win :flowerforyou:

And it's funny, because we are all different. While neither one seems like a great job, if I HAD to choose one, I'd rather pick the walnut shells than dance on a stage in an afro and boots. It's not even close.
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the other bathrooms had fecal matter all over the walls too, like someone was jumping up and doing their business mid air.

O M G !
  • hOw2lozeAgiN10dAze
    hOw2lozeAgiN10dAze Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    When I was almost 18 I became the secretary of the church I grew up in. I guess they hired me because they thought I'd be really naïve or something. I became privy to a lot of inside happenings that were just plain WRONG, told on them and got the lecture of my life about "what happens in the office stays in the office" and was told to keep my mouth shut in future. My parents wouldn't let me quit and the pastor looked over my shoulder every second of everyday after that. I hated it so much.
  • notdieting
    notdieting Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    8 hour shifts, sitting at a conveyor belt, picking shell out of chopped walnuts. Mind numbing, Soul destroying. £1.87 an hour.

I worked in a factory when I first left school. This was just one of the soul destroying jobs. We also had 'date pinging'. This involved emptying a box of chopped dates into a stainless steel trough, picking them up a handful at a time and dropping them. If they made a 'ping' noise against the metal, it was a piece of date stone...it was removed.....on to the next handful. 20kg boxes. 3 boxes an hour. 8 hour shift.

Then there was 'peanut nibbing'. Boxes of peanuts were emptied onto a vibrating grid. The big ones stayed on top and were shaken along until they fell off the end into a box. The small ones fell through the grid into a box. The medium ones lodged in the holes in the grid, you pressed a button and a huge guillotine shot under the grill and 'nibbed' (or chopped) the nuts in half.

A gory story to warn of the hazards of obesity or maybe just stupidity....we had a chap who was pretty big, maybe 300lb. He sat on that grid one lunchtime, to eat his sandwich and his mate pressed that button, just for a laugh, to make him jump. Unfortunately, the guy was wearing shorts and because he was so meaty, his legs had kinda squeezed through the grid so when the guillotine came across, it sliced of hundreds of little chunks of skin from the back of his legs. He bled profusively and had to spend three days in hospital and several weeks with his legs bandaged.

The peanuts were hosed off, re-packed and sent on to a very famous company for their Fruit 'n' Nut chocolate bar. Never eaten one since.

£1.87 an hour
  • My top 2 worst jobs:

Wendy's when I was 15. They put me to work the busy drive thru full of cranky *kitten* customers, and would cash out the register in an effort to make the line go faster..which meant I had to calculate the change I gave back off the top of my head. I do not math, and eventually got fired because I stopped giving a *kitten* and just gave the customers back whatever I thought was a close estimate of change.

Laundromat when I was 16. One customer in particular used to drop off all his underwear full of skid marks and it was my job to wash them. :sick:

We had to do the same thing at Burger King because we strove to keep the wait under 3 minutes.

Pizza Hut was bad because I lived in a ****ty area then and would get death threats.

One of the gas stations I worked at you didn't have to pay before you pumped so you got in huge trouble if they drove off.

Cleaning the bathrooms everyday at Burger King sucked but I think McDonalds was the worst...because you had to do laundry there instead of using fresh wipes and ugh the grease.

Of course there was that one time an old guy decided to unleash his horrid diarrhea in the urinal at Burger King...all over the floor, omg.
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    The unemployment one. Sucked
  • keelerangela
    keelerangela Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    LPN at nursing home.

We were always short so it made it that each nurse had an unsafe amount of patients. other nurses were nasty.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    French bakery. I liked the job and IMO I did a good job (plus we could have free pastries... which was fine by me at the time, lol), I basically got promoted to manager when the old one quit 2 weeks after I started (I had NO experience so really, I didn't do too bad) but the chef/boss was a real jerk. One day the insults got too much and I quit on the spot.

No comment about the fact that he's French though, I'm French too, but there's something about French chefs... ugh.

And then there's those two part time jobs when I had NOTHING to do all day. Just browsing the web and being useless.

Seriously I have the worst job experiences ever.
  • gogoboobzilla
    gogoboobzilla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Working overnight shift at Tim Hortons in a shady part of town (canadians will know what im talking about :P)

Canada has shady parts? o.O
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Front desk at a convention hotel, that liked to overbook their room reservations.
    Most days a line of 20+ standing in front of you, all day, and 7 phone lines ringing, non stop.
    And then after 9pm, the tears started when women who had been traveling all day got told there were no rooms available.
    They were transported to another hotel, but still....
    I lasted 2 years.
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Picking rockmelons for a month before going to university. Had to start at 4am, got driven out to the farm and then had to walk behind a long conveyor belt attached to a tractor. The belt was less than a metre off the ground so you had to bend over, pick the melons and throw them on the belt. All the while a little person (he was the boss, or leading hand) yelled at us to go faster, pick more. This was in the middle of summer, too, humidity at 80-90% and 35 degrees. Hated. Every. Minute.
  • thesoup11
    thesoup11 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I worked as a file clerk it was filing for hours even if I couldn't find file I had nightmares it was ridiculous
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I used to be a waitress/chef/housekeeping/barmaid.
    A lot of the time the chef would be hungover so I'd have to cook and serve the breakfast at the hotel. People would call in sick all the time, so I'd have to cover the dishes or do housekeeping, just in time to clean up everyone's ketchup covered plates, hoover and get the place set for lunch. I'd also have to clean out the men's urinals and mop up the floors and get the bar ready (kill all the ants before the customers came in). And if I was lucky, I'd get to clean up some puke from the night before.

All for £3.80 an hour. And I used to work 50 hours a week.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Red Robin. Anytime a customer dined and dashed it came out of my paycheck.
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I sold insurance and that has to count as the worst job ever.

Cold calling people to book an appointment
    Going to the appointments and playing on people's sense of fear to make them buy life insurance. There were some really awful tricks, like booking an appointment with a husband and wife timed for when the husband got home from work. Thing was that you made sure you got there early so that you got the wife alone and then you would start askng her what time he got home, keep looking at your watch and then start asking what would happen if he didnt come home.

You'd pull $5 out of your pocket, tell the wife to imagine what it would be like if her husband had an accident on the way home and that there was no bread winner anymore. Tell her that the $5 was the last $5 she had to feed her children... and then you'd rip it up infront of her.

As you can imagine she would be pretty wound up by the time the husband got home and she would be telling him to buy life insurance.

I didnt last very long in that job. I left it and went bankrupt because every bit of commission I earned had to be paid back. I was young and naive but I couldnt lie to people and scare them like that.
  • april27kelli
    april27kelli Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Residential customer service for AT&T... the pay and benefits were great but getting yelled at by customers in 9 different states all day long drove me crazy. One lady wanted to know why she had so many 411 (not 911) charges on her bill because she never called an ambulance even once. One guy told me that we needed to stop sending him mail with 4 corners because he didn't know how to open it. I got in trouble when I told him that we didn't have "round mail"... I got hit on (yes, over the phone) by a lot of creepy old men who were suckers for a Southern accent. Most of what we did was customer service but they tried to push "selling" some, too. My supervisor once suggested that I should try to sell satellite TV to a blind woman... I know my story sounds pretty tame compared to most of yours...and I guess the complaints I have were more 'annoying' than 'horrible'... this thread is making me a little more thankful for my current job and decent jobs I've had in the past!
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options

And it's funny, because we are all different. While neither one seems like a great job, if I HAD to choose one, I'd rather pick the walnut shells than dance on a stage in an afro and boots. It's not even close.

Yes, it was pretty crap, I lasted a couple of weeks before quitting. Having had a menial job in the past certainly makes me appreciate where I am today, that's for sure.
  • mayaocean
    mayaocean Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Working overnight shift at Tim Hortons in a shady part of town (canadians will know what im talking about :P)

Canada has shady parts? o.O

Um, not sure if serious. But every country has shady parts?
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Paper route at 3am-7am in the coldest weather 30 degrees!! Running from apt to apt throwing it (nicely or else if complain $ deducted) then at end of month go collect money and if they didnt wanna pay i got screwed!! Made plenty of enemys! It was the most stressful ****!