"Metabolic Damage"

Options

Replies

• katiehrgovic
    katiehrgovic Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you Katie

I don't plan on doing any form of diet with that little cal intake as the food that was "allowed" wasn't enough for me as it messed up my time of the month ( never had one on that so called 'diet' ) and as soon as I started eating normally again my stomach was in agony as I suffer with IBS so this triggered it and haven't been in pain that much since a child.

Like I said I have no idea on food I was always told carbs were not good in a diet (but I like my carbs).

What would u say is a good maximum daily cal intake? 1500?

Thank you :)

Eating that little can definitely mess up your menstrual cycle. I have not had mine in over a year, and I am trying desperately to get it back (with the help of my GP & a Gyno) I would seek medical help if this happens to you again.

And in regards to your question of how much to eat, I really cannot advise a number for you. It depends on how active you are. But just keep in mind that most women need about 2000 to maintain. This is very arbitrary. I would go to a website with a TDEE calculator to find out. Eating slightly under your maintenance will result in weight loss. Ensure that you are eating enough to fuel any activity you do.

Try this website http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • Clairie87
    Options
    Thank you again your help is much appreciated, I will definitely look into it, I am a mum to 3 boys so I am quite active with school runs and with my youngest being 12 months who is also a little chunk so lifting him is like weight lifting and he isn't crawling yet, and I'm hoping going to the gym will put a big boost into the weight loss.

Thankfully my menstrul cycle has almost returned to normal after a good few months of being messed up, any I'm usually on time give or take a few days.

As of 2moro is day one and I'm going to try eat as normal but healthy as possible :) please may I add you as a friend? I would appreciate all the support I can get lol
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    no such thing as metabolic damage. even l. norton has back tracked on some of the things he said. there is metabolic adaptation the same way there is cardiovascular adaptation, and muscular adaptation.
  • katiehrgovic
    Options
    Oh my goodness, 3 boys! You must be supermom! So much respect for you! Glad to hear that your hormones have sorted themselves out, it can be worrisome. Good luck in all your endeavors, always remember that there are people who believe in you, and never forget to believe in yourself as well! :) Of course you can add me as a friend, ask any question any time! :)
  • katiehrgovic
    Options
    no such thing as metabolic damage. even l. norton has back tracked on some of the things he said. there is metabolic adaptation the same way there is cardiovascular adaptation, and muscular adaptation.

Yes, I realize this is an arbitrary term. I wish I knew more about the subject myself, but that is why I wanted to start the thread! I do believe metabolic adaptation is a much better fitting term. Thanks for your input baptiste565 :)
  • Clairie87
    Options
    Thank you Katie

I wouldn't say supermum they are very tiring and I have a wonderful husband who helps me a lot.

Thank you again your advice has been a HUGE help and I appreciate it MASSIVELY :) xx
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    People just need to take the decision and process of fat loss more seriously. There are many monumental decisions that we make in life - such as marriage, children and buying a home - which ought require extensive consideration. I believe fat loss to be up there with those. Unfortunately, this is a goal that most take too casually and end up making things far more difficult than need be with some rather undesirable consequences.

Within 24 hours, leptin serum concentration levels decrease upon restricting calories. This is how quickly and attune the body is at monitoring and responding to changes in energy balance. The longer one restricts, the more alterations occur and the further from baseline the values become. Of course, maintaining a severe deficit during this restrictive state will accelerate this decline at a faster rate.

When people reference a slowing down of the metabolism, a more accurate description is the body is becoming less proficient at using energy for the sake of conservation. In other words, your adjusted TDEE lessens to save energy as a result of chronic restriction. Thus, for example, your RMR demands less energy and you burn less calories from exercise. Your body doesn't consider what you're doing as a diet - it views it as the beginning of a famine and will try to protect itself. It will do so by two principle methods: reducing energy expenditure and returning to a certain 'set weight" during refeeds following rapid weight loss.

If one researches scholarly studies on VLCD that assessed changes in RMR/TDEE, LBM, as well as metabolic hormones such as leptin and ghrelin (and they're respective receptors), you'll notice significant alterations from baseline. These adaptations are not only responsible for obesity relapse in previously obese persons and recovering anorexics, but also why future fat loss interventions become more difficult and unsuccessful. Although there are few long-term studies on the subject, the lingering effects of these adaptations can persist for years.
  • katiehrgovic
    Options
    People just need to take the decision and process of fat loss more seriously. There are many monumental decisions that we make in life - such as marriage, children and buying a home - which ought require extensive consideration. I believe fat loss to be up there with those. Unfortunately, this is a goal that most take too casually and end up making things far more difficult than need be with some rather undesirable consequences.

Within 24 hours, leptin serum concentration levels decrease upon restricting calories. This is how quickly and attune the body is at monitoring and responding to changes in energy balance. The longer one restricts, the more alterations occur and the further from baseline the values become. Of course, maintaining a severe deficit during this restrictive state will accelerate this decline at a faster rate.

When people reference a slowing down of the metabolism, a more accurate description is the body is becoming less proficient at using energy for the sake of conservation. In other words, your adjusted TDEE lessens to save energy as a result of chronic restriction. Thus, for example, your RMR demands less energy and you burn less calories from exercise. Your body doesn't consider what you're doing as a diet - it views it as the beginning of a famine and will try to protect itself. It will do so by two principle methods: reducing energy expenditure and returning to a certain 'set weight" during refeeds following rapid weight loss.

If one researches scholarly studies on VLCD that assessed changes in RMR/TDEE, LBM, as well as metabolic hormones such as leptin and ghrelin (and they're respective receptors), you'll notice significant alterations from baseline. These adaptations are not only responsible for obesity relapse in previously obese persons and recovering anorexics, but also why future fat loss interventions become more difficult and unsuccessful. Although there are few long-term studies on the subject, the lingering effects of these adaptations can persist for years.

Wow, you know your stuff! Thank you *bows*
  • Bejede
    Bejede Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bump Need to reread!!
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    bumpity
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

This is great stuff. So what are your thoughts on someone recovering from a VLCD? Do you suppose they'd have more success taking a full diet break and eating at maintenance (or even above), for a set period, or should they continue to plug along with the 'diet', but at a far more reasonable deficit than before?
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options

This is great stuff. So what are your thoughts on someone recovering from a VLCD? Do you suppose they'd have more success taking a full diet break and eating at maintenance (or even above), for a set period, or should they continue to plug along with the 'diet', but at a far more reasonable deficit than before?

what r u considering a vlcd?
  • Cindyinpg
    Options

what r u considering a vlcd?
    No, a few posts earlier, I explained I have a friend who has lost and then regained about 100lbs after using HCG. Her doctor won't advise her, and she has asked me what I think she should do. She is currently eating on a small deficit, exercising regularly and seeing no results for months now. I am just wondering if she shouldn't take a break entirely and go back to dieting later. Frankly, I do not want to give her any advice at ALL, it is too big of an issue for my knowledge, but she isn't getting any help from anyone and I fear that she will eventually give up and go for another round of HCG.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    So much bad information in this thread.

Here is a peer reviewed, researched thread with 13 pages of intelligent discussion. Look through it for facts, not internet hype:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss
  • virgithegr8
    virgithegr8 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Katie,

I also did the HCG diet a couple of years ago and I did indeed lose about 50 pounds and struggled for 2 years to keep it off. I was able to keep 25 pounds off but it was very hard. I have to basically do a very low carb diet. Then around July of this year I decided to trash the low carb and started eating more normal diet that included counting calories instead of carbs. I am much happier now eating fruits, grains and vegetables. I also bought turbo fire and I have become addicted to exercise. I am slowing correnting my metabolism. I have not lost much weight since, but the important this is I am not gaining anymore. I started HCG weighing 200 pounds in 2010 I went down to 150 and kept it off for a year and slowly gained up to 186. I count calories now and exercise every day for 30 min to 1 hour doing different exercise, such as zumba, turbo fire and just this week I bought T25. I am down to 171.8 and feel great. My goal is to get down to 160 and then will see where I go. I am taking it slow and steady. I try to follow a 1200 calorie diet but do occassionally go up to 1500 and still am not gaining the weight back. I love my life now. I have also changed my eating and don't get as hugry as I used to when strict dieting.

thanks for this post. I reminded me of my messed up metabolism.

virgithegr8
  • LipstickOn
    Options
    Exactly a year ago I went on a crash diet for a month. I went from 195lbs to 167lbs . After, I kept losing by doing low cardio (1 hour at 3mph) but on February it stopped at 152lbs. Every since then, I haven't been able to lose any weight :( I kept on doing the cardio until now and I haven't lost any weight. I've tried eating 1300, 1400, 1500, 1600 calories but no matter how low I go I don't lose weight.... I think I ****ed up my metabolism ...
    I joined a gym though so I'm trying to lift weights... Idk what to do though.... Should I do the reverse diet while doing no exercise or should I keep on lifting ?
    And what are some good workouts I could do to burn fat and gain muscle?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options

Personally, I prefer people to engage in fat loss when everything is operating as optimal as possible. If she recently finished her VLCD diet, I'd suggest she weighs all her food and eats the maximum amount of calories until she reaches relative weight homeostasis.

This is another option, but she could visit an endocrinologist and test her metabolic hormones/RMR. After eating at maintenance for a few months, redo the tests again to see if the levels are improving. If they are, then she can continue to eat at maintenance until the doctors feel her hormones and ability to burn the most calories (higher TDEE) has recovered enough. Upon which, she can then go pursue fat loss again. I'm just not big on restricting for fat loss when a person's metabolic state isn't at its best.
  • Cindyinpg
    Options

Personally, I prefer people to engage in fat loss when everything is operating as optimal as possible. If she recently finished her VLCD diet, I'd suggest she weighs all her food and eats the maximum amount of calories until she reaches relative weight homeostasis.

This is another option, but she could visit an endocrinologist and test her metabolic hormones/RMR. After eating at maintenance for a few months, redo the tests again to see if the levels are improving. If they are, then she can continue to eat at maintenance until the doctors feel her hormones and ability to burn the most calories (higher TDEE) has recovered enough. Upon which, she can then go pursue fat loss again. I'm just not big on restricting for fat loss when a person's metabolic state isn't at its best.
    Thank you, that's the thought I had too and she has mentioned it herself. In her case, she is stalled anyway, and tired of dieting, so she is receptive to eating as much as possible at maintenance,( but not to the point of gaining) and then restarting a diet with a 'reasonable' deficit later when she feels that everything has evened out again. As for the endocrinologist, probably not happening... we're kind of the boondocks up here when it comes to doctors. :ohwell:
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I have a massive health-crush on Dr. Layne Norton.

I find him to be an absolute retard

My opinion
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Ok, so what is an HCG diet?

Regarding "Metabolic Damage"....
    Great term, but don't think it means anything.

The human body is a pretty remarkable thing, and its primary goal above all else, is about self preservation.

All it takes is a person setting a goal, and then doing the proper research on how to obtain that goal....and getting info from different sources is also good. But it has to come from that person, those things cannot come from someone else.

But once you get your numbers right, the body (if it is a healthy person) can pretty much turn on a dime.....look at all those time scenarios when a person quits smoking.....the body begins to re-adjust pretty fast.