anyone quitting smoking?

Options

Replies

• rhibhi
    rhibhi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Me! I stopped smoking on August 14th. I used Champix which is a medication. So this is my personal best for not smoking, I'm feeling healthy and a lot better than I did when I was smoking! Still getting cravings here and there but on the whole doing well - haven't slipped up at all.
  • HefferSprint
    HefferSprint Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yep. July 23rd, I quit smoking and started dieting. I think it's a great combo actually. Either of them is going to be an adjustment. Might as well do both at the same time. Also, you'll be so focused on your health, that not smoking will make you feel better quicker. You won't feel like you're just halfway doing it.

You'll also be able to actually breathe when you're working out and that is an added bonus.

Don't forget that you'll actually be able to taste the good food you are going to start eating.

And new habits are formed after only 3 weeks. So your desire to smoke will be gone, you'll be used to exercise, and you'll be watching what you eat in less than one month.

I don't miss it. Seriously, when I see heavy people smoke (not judging, because that was also me), I just think they are killing themselves.

In the first week, I really wanted to smoke. For the next few weeks after that, the thought would randomly come into my head and I'd just refocus. Then after that, it was done. And that part is a pain in the butt, so get through it this time, and stick to it after that.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I quit 7 years ago after 37 years of smoking. It is not easy but worth it 10 fold! I will never go back.♥♥♥
  • FindingSkinnyPaige
    Options
    Wanted to add something that I read this morning...

When you are stressed or anxious (and you will be with the quitting smoking thing...) reading something that is enjoyable quietly for at least 6 minutes reduces your stress level by 70%. Not the news or anything work related, just something you love.
  • RunsSober
    Options
    I quit smoking 17 days ago a few days after joining MFP. I knew it would be hard to quit AND start eating better, but I wanted to make a total commitment toward a healthy lifestyle. Drinking tons of water, exercising, and healthy snacks are all things that helped me get through the cravings and now they only crop up occasionally. Good luck!
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Eight years free of cigarettes. I had tried to quit many times before ... never successful till this last time. I used the Commit Lozengers to help wean me off the nicotine while stopping immediately with the smoking. I think the biggest reason I was successful this time is I wanted to do something that was really important to me, and smoking would have really cut down on my chances of making it. I decided that I wanted to do a triathlon, and I couldn't do it smoking. So I started training for the tri and quit smoking simultaneously. It was hard, but I achieved both.
  • BrendonsMummy
    Options
    Added you all :D
  • NyssaDuck
    Options
    I quit smoking on the 14th June. So I'm 108 days in. I quit cold turkey. Food and fitness goals helped keep me distracted after a little while (I quit smoking about 1.5 months before). What I found was any time I craved, I did something that needed my attention intensely for a few minutes (I play games a lot so that was one of the things I did to distract myself).

Has been completely worth it!

Oh, and to add that I used an Android app called QuitNow! (not sure if it's on iOS) which keeps track of my days, cigarettes not smoked, money saved etc. That has also been great motivation.
  • waynestratton
    Options
    I quit a couple years back cold turkey. It really is not as hard as everyone makes it seem. I had smoked for about 6-7 year prior. Best advice I can give you.. Give yourself 21 days straight with no cigs. After that you will noo longer have a physical dependency to nictotine. Do not go to bars or places that allow smoking for at least 60-90 days. Follow those simple rules and you will do great. Make sure to start a diet/fitness program because coming of smoking your appetite will increase. Good luck!
  • merilung
    merilung Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking at the beginning of July when I did a Whole30 and I've been almost three months smoke-free! Like others said, Alan Carr's book helped me a lot, as did this post from the Zen Habits blog: http://zenhabits.net/discomfort-ruin/

When I craved a cigarette, I held my breath for as long as I could and then took some deep breaths - it really helped.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I don't smoke cigarettes, but I did chew Copenhagen for many years. Quit that Cold Turkey almost 2 months ago. Aug 7th to be exact. I don't really have cravings but I get this feeling like I am forgetting something every now and again. Those times are because of mental triggers that tell me to have the chew. So I just move on to something else when that happens.

Good Luck.
  • cj0725
    cj0725 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I quit a year and a half ago after smoking for over 25 years. I quit by using patches. I did it for my son. I think by doing it for him, I would feel too guilty to start up again. I previously quit during my pregnancy, but started up as soon as I was done breast feeding - don't even know why I started up again. Good luck to you!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    My doc told me to pick one, not to try and do both. I quit smoking first, then a year later began my trek into weight loss.

Do I still want a smoke? Every single day. BUT, I am in a position now (a year and 9 months later) to be able to say no. It gets easier with time.

Edited to add that I was a pack a day smoker for 32 years.
  • floop1207
    floop1207 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    many people miss 'something' when they give up cigarettes too. i realised that i missed the hand to mouth thing. obviously i didn't want to start eating more so i have an ecig - but most of the time its empty. i just find it comforting to have in my hand :blushing:
  • DanL66712
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. Diving in head first tomorrow, quitting smoking and getting back on track with weight loss and getting generally healthier!

This is going to suck...
  • floop1207
    Options
    I quit a year and a half ago after smoking for over 25 years. I quit by using patches. I did it for my son. I think by doing it for him, I would feel too guilty to start up again. I previously quit during my pregnancy, but started up as soon as I was done breast feeding - don't even know why I started up again. Good luck to you!

i did exactly this. i quit the day i found out i was pregnant and started again when i finished breastfeeding. big mistake. i looked at my son one day (many years later) and thought 'i really hope you never start smoking' then realised how hypocritical that was of me so i stopped right then.
  • punkinkat
    punkinkat Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to quit, mainly because the cost is bloody well breaking me! I could go on a really nice vacation with what I spend on smokes in a year...

I'm kind of afraid to try again now that I'm trying to lose weight, as I fear that changing too much too soon will result in me wimping out and changing nothing. But thinking of all the extra lung power I could have for my newfound love of running is a nice counter-argument.
  • floop1207
    Options
    I've been trying to quit, mainly because the cost is bloody well breaking me! I could go on a really nice vacation with what I spend on smokes in a year...

I'm kind of afraid to try again now that I'm trying to lose weight, as I fear that changing too much too soon will result in me wimping out and changing nothing. But thinking of all the extra lung power I could have for my newfound love of running is a nice counter-argument.

do it. really. in my cigarette free 6 months, i have scraped enough together to take my son away for a week. for me, my weight has crept up slowly over the last couple of years and due to health problems limiting exercise, i know i'm not going to lose 30+ lbs in a few months but the benefits of stopping smoking begin straight away. my different way of eating is an ongoing thing.
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    this is fabulous!! I've never heard of this book, but you can be assured I'll check it out of the library asap!!! I've been committed to getting healthier and dropping weight for over a year now, and now I've been trying on and off very hard to kick this last habit too and unfortunately, much more off than on :( It's awful, because I know just how gross it is and contradictory to my new lifestyle it is, yet I struggle endlessly. Thanks to the OP for the posting and good luck to you!!!
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I have created a group called "Kicking the addiction" if you or any friends want to post your struggles with addiction please feel free to start a thread. I will offer all the support I can and hope as this group grows others will do the same.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/16817-kicking-the-addiction
    Edited by Morninglory81 On September 30, 2013 10:25 am