51 yr. old trying to get her groove back

Options
Hi, new to MyFitness Pal and need all the help and advice I can get (constructive not mean!). Saw my reflection in the window while dining outside yesterday and I have no words (none that I could repeat on here anyway) that would sum up how I am feeling. I am going to use my calorie counter religiously so I can see what is really going in since what I have been doing is not working. I have about 40 lbs. to lose and a lot of toning. Pretty low right now, however, somehow I need to find my inner strength to do this! I just have to do this and now before my weight gets any higher.

Replies

• eandbmom
    eandbmom Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am almost 50 and have been on this site for a few months. You can do this! Just take it one day at a time. I sent you a friend request so we can motivate and encourage each other.
  • newdoda
    newdoda Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Trying to do just that, take it one day at a time; I exercise once and eat right one day and think I should weigh 1lb less, lol. Silly I know but I want it yesterday. Thank you for the friend request, would love to partner with anyone who is interested in motivating and encouraging:)
  • Jagreene62
    Jagreene62 Posts: 4,782 Member
    Options
    You should remember that it didn't take a day to get this way and it won't take a day to take it off. Don't be too hard on yourself. You will have good days and bad days. The probably isn't the falling the day....it's the way you get back up!! :drinker:
  • pcgirl58
    pcgirl58 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi! I tried this site before and found it very useful...then life got in the way....anyhow...I came back on here today with the intent to track everything I eat...and find some time for myself (exercise...walking). Would love to buddy up in this journey. I will send you a friend request. Best of luck :D
  • txteadrinker
    txteadrinker Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm in a wonderful group called Over 50 Ladies and have found much encouragement and support from friends there. Feel free to join us and/or to friend me!
  • karlajotj
    karlajotj Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 52 and started this almost 2 1/2 yrs ago. I've had good and bad days. Just coming out of a recent slump myself. I agree that you didn't get to where you are from over night either, take one day at a time. You can do this! I'll send you a friend request.
  • FeelinChastastic
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! And congrats on starting your journey! Feel free to add... that goes for all of you :)
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    54 female here...
    Feel free to add me if you'd like.
    I agree with the rest, this is our journey
    to a wonderful destination called
    LIVE LIFE!!
    I absolutely despise the word DIEt...
    I prefer to think of this as a life change
    so I have a life to live and enjoy for
    many many many many years!!
    Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • promobabe
    Options
    I just turned 56 and haven't looked better since my mid 30s. I got huge in my 40s and didn't lose the weight after my divorce four years ago. At that time, I lost over 60 lbs. doing the "eat less, move more and don't b.s. yourself" thing we all hate doing. That took me about 18 months. I stayed at the same basic weight for about two years, but now I'm finally tackling that stubborn last 10 - 15 lbs. I figured, I never thought I could look even remotely this good at my age...so why not go for the gold? :) In just three weeks on MFP, I've lost 8 lbs -- unbelievable for an older babe. I'm walking, biking all over the city, and even playing beach volleyball (though I'm a terrible player! :) I hope this gives you some hope. It's tough losing weight over 50, but it can be done. And girl, we are not "done", either. You can still look healthy, happy and hot...even at this age. Good luck to you! :)
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Hi ! I'm 54 and have lost around 28 lbs on here since July. I love the support on here but it also takes a bit of discipline on my part. Some days are harder then others. I have an ultimate goal but setting small goals on the way is a good idea I believe. I just went under 200 lbs for the first time in a while. My next mini goal is 30 lbs weight loss. And so on. For me just seeing what I am eating makes all the difference. The calorie burning cardio helps but I think what goes in my mouth is what counts more. That's njust me though. If you need friends feel free to add me. :bigsmile:
  • stambolas
    stambolas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a 63 year old grandfather who has managed to drop 22 lb.s in 5 months with this program. You young un's have a leg up. :smile:

If I can do it, you can do it. Stick with it, and don't get discouraged by the occassional, but inevitable, slight gain.
  • jmp1958
    jmp1958 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and think that the accountability factor of MFP is an essential part of trying to keep on track. I feel better now than I have in years. Focus on getting fit!!
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Make sure you eat enough, (eating too little is your enemy). One day at a time so don't commit to more than what you can take on and maintain. After that commitment is firmly in place, make another one. All the best to you
  • newdoda
    Options
    Thank you for all the friend requests, advice and encouragement; didn't realize how much I was in need of all the encouragement! Wish I had come to MFP a long time ago. tjohnconnor, you are absolutely right, eating too little is my enemy; something I am going to have to work hard on:) When I completed my food journal I was way under in my calories. It will take some adjusting but I can do it.
  • nancyvero
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi! I'm 59 and I'm at a weight that I thought I would never see again after I lost mega pounds several years ago. I keep saying that I've gained about 10, but truth be told it's closer to 20 and now all the cool clothes I had bought just won't fit. But the real bottom line is the health issue. I want to get this weight off and more for good. The problem is I am hungry all the time following this. Do any of you have any suggestions? I need some motivation.
  • newdoda
    Options
    I too am finding myself hungry more often then not but I think it is an adjustment period. I would increase your water intake and fibrous foods; fruits and vegetable but more vegetables than fruit if you are trying to keep your sugar down. I am trying to keep an eye on sugar even if it's from fruit. Sweet potatoes and oatmeal (not necessarily together although that might be good) really satisfy me. I try to eat frequently but I teach in a prison so that makes it difficult. There are a lot of people on here more experienced at this than me so I am sure you will get plenty of tips. Stay plugged in to MFP, I have already met and made friends that I am communicating with and that is a huge motivator as well as encouraging:)
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I am 56.. I lost 22lbs when I was 53.. I now do 1000 push ups a day.. 3 years ago I use to work out but was fat.. Now I am fit.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CeeCeeMee
    CeeCeeMee Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!! :flowerforyou:

For me, it's the accountability of MFP that makes it work. I have an online group of friends who have all tried shedding pounds for @6-7 years but it just didn't work for me. I needed another motivator. Fortunately, I overheard some co-workers talking about MFP and now the three of us have become each others support system.

My advice? Definitely use MFP, and use it daily. Find friends on MFP who are uplifting and motivated so that they can keep you motivated. Check out the forums for recipe ideas and ideas that worked well for others. Don't try to re-invent the wheel in other words.

Then, find a local friend who also wants to lose weight or tone up and start walking. I've been known to take two walks in the evening. One with my husband who can't walk too quickly, and the other with a young co-worker who challenges me to keep up with her.

At 180+ days of MFP and 36 pounds down from the New Year, this 51 year old cannot rave about MFP enough. :laugh:
  • tennessee38501
    Options
    Hi,
    Your story is my story! I, too am 51 and have about 40 pounds to lose. When I look in the mirror I am so disappointed in the person I see. Good luck to you and to us! I want my groove back also!