For me, *this* is why WEIGHTS over CARDIO is KEY!

Options

Replies

• m_johannes
    m_johannes Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Very impressive! Bumping for later reference.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    BUMP - I am so impressed with your stats. My personal experience - I have been just doing squats for 3 months and I have totally transformed my butt and thighs - they were gigantic - huge *kitten* and "thunder thighs" and now they are down 3 clothing sizes - I'm a believer!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    I'm a "thunder thighs"/pear shape, myself - morphing into an "hourglass" as best I can!

I don't do a lot of squats, because I'm very quad-dominant....but, I've inserted weighted-glute-bridges and weighted-hip-thrusts into my regimen and they seem to (finally!) be working my lazy-firing-glutes!
  • MyFitGrlSwag
    MyFitGrlSwag Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Excellent testimonial for the use of weights!! I do both and notice more results overall than when I was just doing cardio.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous! I'm with you sister -- weights is the wtg for me as well.
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    This is amazing! Bump for future reference! I'm going to be starting weight lifting at the end of the month. Waiting to get to my goal weight then start the weight lifting.....this is very encouraging!
  • amyloudonlon
    amyloudonlon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    absolutely amazing!! im for weights all the way! and i personally love weights better than cardio, so win win :) x
  • fgenao
    fgenao Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!! you look awesome
  • kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration you are to me! I just joined a gym this past summer before starting MFP in July and I've been doing free weights 3x a week. There is always such a debate over cardio vs. weights. You are living proof to me that I am not at all wasting my time doing the weights. Great job and you look amazing!!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    and this is why I lift...transformations like this made me realize it was key...nothing wrong with cardio (cough) except that I hate it...but weights...do amazing amazing things.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Love this thread and hoping that lifting does the same for me! My thighs/hips aren't particularly big but I definitely carry all my strength in my lower body. I carry all my fat pretty much in my midsection. :|

Off to lift right now actually and its deadlift dayyyy. I'm 25 lbs away from DLing my bodyweight woop. Feels good to have fitness goals like THAT instead of "I must lose x amount of weight by this day" type of goals.
  • fullofquirks
    fullofquirks Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    That is some fan-freaking-tastic progress!

This is why I'm sticking to my lifting routine even when I have to deload, even when I feel like I'm getting no where. I know it will get me to where I ultimately want to be.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!! You have worked hard and it shows! :love:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Thank you....the 'after' photo is actually coming off a 6-week (forced) lifting break. I was 4 sessions back into lifting when I snapped that puppy!

I do enjoy my 3 x weekly weight-lifting. I don't set PR's very often and I'm not lifting my bodyweight on ANY lifts, except the weighted glute bridges.

I'm hoping that I've finished bodyfat loss by end of 2013 and can start working on some other goals, in 2014, like unassisted pull-ups/chin-ups and the like.

It's good to have "goals"!
  • Kennesaw24
    Kennesaw24 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Awesome results! I'm 49, lifted weights in my 20s, stopped at some point, picked it up again three years ago (literally, haha), and again, have never felt better. Lately I have worked a lot of CrossFit exercises in and body weight exercises. The only cardio I do is hiking up Kennesaw Mountain here in the 'burbs of Atl a few times a week.

Everyone feels better when mama feels good, huh?!
  • prat27
    prat27 Posts: 73
    Options
    Could not agree more. Every time I post my weight training exercise sessions on here I get "260 calories" vs. 520 (for 20 minutes less work) on the few days I do cardio. The reality is yes during that hour I burned 260 hours, but the recovery process of the body is what speeds the metab and burns more calories while you are not actually working out that don't get posted. Hidden advantage!

I only do cardio to give my heart some exercise and to stay in shape for 5K's and mud runs.

Great work!!
  • Lkkiser3
    Lkkiser3 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!

For someone like me that has 100 lbs to lose, is it still best to focus mainly on weights? Or is it 50/50 until I lose most of my extra body fat?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    prat - yep, I keep up with SOME cardio because I have severe asthma and every little bit of "lung expansion" helps!

Lkkiser - the losing bodyfat thing is ALL related to "calories in v. calories out", imho - doesn't have anything to do with "exercise". Soooooo, to lose bodyfat, make sure you are eating to maintain (over the week, say....) a calorie-deficit. For me, "exercise" does 2 things:

1. relieves stress (manages stress); and
    2. changes body shape - because I choose to do heavy-lifting to accomplish a change in body shape.

As a (former) cardio queen, I exercised ALL THE TIME and it didn't help my pear-shape AT ALL. And, I was "fluffy". Boooooo.
  • ayankeefan51
    ayankeefan51 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Wow. I wasn't sure how much progress I could have only using free weights but this is just the proof I needed. Thank you!
  • claireplum
    claireplum Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    A massive well done from me...this is a great success story! x
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!