Just not losing

Options

Replies

• Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

people will tell you to eat more in order to start losing. those people are wrong. You eat plenty... perhaps even a bit too much. At least make sure your logging is correct. If you're not losing, you're eating too much.

newp.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Also it is not just about calories but the quality of your finis choices proper meal combinations for your genetic makeup and good fat burning foods tonic and supplements. I agree with the last post instead of lowering your calories you must increase your body sculpting using Exercises specific for the strongest muscles in our bodies the glutes exercises just as the classic hip thrust

I lost 25 pounds eating pizza and ice cream. Weight loss has nothing to do with the type of food you're eating. Period.
  • Knsclptr30
    Options
    You lost 37 pounds what was your starting bodyfat percent and your current stats?
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    when you say youre not losing for how long has this been happening?
  • lulabellarama
    lulabellarama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    How do you track your exercise? Is it through MFP estimations or HRM estimations? Either way, you're eating almost all, if not all somedays, of your exercise calories back on your weekdays.

Along with that you are over by 700-800 calories three days in a row over the weekend just gone, which is killing your weekly deficit.

I have never had results eating back all of my exercise calories, I eat 50% or more if I'm hungry. Try doing this as you could be over estimating calorie burns, nothing that tracks your calories is 100% accurate.

But it shouldn't be killing my deficit. What I eat at weekends is my TDEE - which I calculate from a sedentary level, then add in only 'proper' exercise - like 30DS or my mega hill-y cycling. I don't log in all the walking and running up and downstairs I do day in, day out.

I know my calories burnt might not be entirely accurate, that's why I leave out the regular activity.

Does that make sense?
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I think you need to create a larger deficit.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 pounds eating pizza and ice cream. Weight loss has nothing to do with the type of food you're eating. Period.

trust me it does! hence why people on raw high carb diets have to eat like 2000 calories minimum and will still lose weight
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Lula, after looking at your diary for the last week and a half there are a couple of things I noticed.

1. Zero water showing - are you drinking water at all? It is very important for your body to stay hydrated, not just for weight loss, but for general health purposes (skin, digestion, etc). It also helps with the repair of muscle after exercise.

2. You are not tracking sodium, however, from the meals I see, I believe a good portion of the items are high in sodium content which actually will have your body store fluids/water

3. Your deficit throughout the week is very nice, and I can tell you work hard at ensuring you are right there with calories and macros. Super nice job on that because it is very difficult to do. I do believe the amount you are going over during the weekend is killing any progress you would have made during the week because you are eating at least 500-800 calories over your alotted daily calorie intake. If that was just 1 day, maybe it would be ok, but I noticed a huge calorie overage for 3 days straight.

4. I believe in your original post (sorry I have to go from memory because by now typing this up I am seeing the last page and not the original post) you stated that you are doing TDEE? If this is correct, the TDEE - % you do NOT eat back calories, and your diary shows you being very close to your daily calorie intake with the exercise calories added in. That could also be an issue. If you are using the MFP method (unless you use an HRM) I would suggest only eating back half of the exercise calories because MFP exercise calories are bit on the high side. This may also be contributing to the fact that you are taking in too many calories.

And another thing, Josh is dead on with the exercise. If you have recently added new or more intense exercise to your daily habits, your body needs time to adjust, and in the beginning will hold onto water as part of the healing process for your muscles. This actually stalled me for quite some time recently and had me very frustrated until I listened to him in another post. I took the exercise down a little bit and have started steadily losing again. As my body adjusts to each new routine I will slowly incorporate more again...

These are just a few things that I noticed, and have experienced myself at one time or another trying to figure out stalls and so forth. Best of luck to you, you are doing a great job!
  • Knsclptr30
    Options
    You need glute and core specialization work to sculpt at least a 0.8 lower waist to hip ratio now good job on understanding that gaining tone and lean muscle mass is the key
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    As many other posters have said, it comes down to your deficit. My guess is that you are overestimating your activity level/calories burned and then doing over on your intake on the weekends which is in turn negating and deficit that you did have. Do the exercise that suits you, whatever you find enjoyable and within your means. The type of exercise you do will affect your composition but to lose, it does come down to calories in vs calories out. The link that Josh posted at the beginning of the thread is bang on.

For myself, I know that there there a damn long period of time that I overestimated my activity level/calories burned and couldn't for the life of me figure out why things just weren't going the way they were supposed to be. Luckily I was doing a heavy lifting program so while the scale didn't change, my body sure did. I am finally now seeing results again after not including exercise in my TDEE and not eating back my exercise calories. Like you, I like to enjoy a little bit on the weekends, so I find that this method helps me to do that.

Good luck!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options

trust me it does! hence why people on raw high carb diets have to eat like 2000 calories minimum and will still lose weight

i lost 95 pounds in just under a year eating flaming hot cheetos, ice cream, french fires, and whatever else i wanted, as long as i maintained a deficit.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Also it is not just about calories but the quality of your finis choices proper meal combinations for your genetic makeup and good fat burning foods tonic and supplements. I agree with the last post instead of lowering your calories you must increase your body sculpting using Exercises specific for the strongest muscles in our bodies the glutes exercises just as the classic hip thrust

Sorry but quality and meal combinations are not important.

Also, what are these fat burning foods you speak of?

Wow....the bro's are out in full force today. Should be an entertaining day in the forums.

ETA......sorry I meant the original poster....not MrM27.....you're not a bro I was referencing lol
  • lulabellarama
    lulabellarama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, I drink loads of water. I just don't track it. But it's def. enough.
    I think I might be a bit high in sodium but a lot of UK entries have incorrect data for sodium, so it's a bit meaningless tracking it. (it's been entered in g's despite being mg's).

I really appreciate all the advice. I hope my explanation of how I'm managing my calories makes sense. It does in my head...

So my plan of action:

Measure body fat and not worry so much about the number on the scale
    Drop down to my weekday total one of the weekend days
    More strength training
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat.

No, not this either. Where is all the broscience coming from today?

This True. My dad biochemist

Your dad is a biochemist. You are not.
    You also don't seem to understand the concept of weight. 1lb is 1lb. Doesn't matter if it is fat, muscle, feathers, or lead.
    Now, if the OP had said she is not losing weight, but her clothes are loser, then you could have said "Muscle is denser than fat, so when you lose a lb of fat, and add on a lb of muscle at the same time, you weight the same, but are now smaller"...but that is not what she said.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options

Sorry but quality and meal combinations are not important.

Also, what are these fat burning foods you speak of?

Wow....the bro's are out in full force today. Should be an entertaining day in the forums.

ETA......sorry I meant the original poster....not MrM27.....you're not a bro I was referencing lol

I'm still wondering about the fat burning foods...I can has them? :wink:
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, I drink loads of water. I just don't track it. But it's def. enough.
    I think I might be a bit high in sodium but a lot of UK entries have incorrect data for sodium, so it's a bit meaningless tracking it. (it's been entered in g's despite being mg's).

I really appreciate all the advice. I hope my explanation of how I'm managing my calories makes sense. It does in my head...

So my plan of action:

Measure body fat and not worry so much about the number on the scale
    Drop down to my weekday total one of the weekend days
    More strength training

I was wondering about the UK food exchange and how that works....

Please keep us updated on your progress! :drinker:
  • ihammen
    ihammen Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I didn't look through all your diet entries, but for today you have 2 large scrambled eggs at 70 calories. One large egg has about 80 calories, so 2 would be about 160. If you make these kinds of mistakes a lot, it can add up.
  • sarah_lou22
    Options
    As a general rule of thumb, you take the weight you want to maintain, and multiply by 100,, and that is your net calories you need to maintain. If you're netting 1450, that would only get you to 145 lbs. If you want to get to 135, you need to cut back to around 1350 net.
    Also, with all the exercise you're doing, you could be gaining muscle as fast as you're losing fat, and muscle weighs more than fat.
    Hope this helps.

No, not this either. Where is all the broscience coming from today?

^agree. especially since if this was true, I should be eating 1000-1200 calories a day...
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    As Josh said, track intake and weight loss and do the math. That will give you TDEE. If your TDEE does not match the numbers that the calculators give you, there could be several reasons. You will want to find out why, if you can.

It could be that you have a medical condition that lowers your metabolism.(so a checkup might be in order)

It could be that your metabolism is just naturally lower (fitness level, genetics, etc.).

Or it could be that you have been under eating.

You will have to track everything for at least several months, and some of it will be trial and error.

For me, I have been struggling for two years, and actively studying it for about one year. I finally got a BodyMedia, and it has taken me 5 months to "trust" it. But finally, I am eating more and still losing very slowly. It turns out that my problem was undereating (a little, I was not starving myself) for a long period of time.

It is tough when you are close to your goal because there is not a large margin of error.

Hang in there for the long hall, and take meticulous notes!