Fat, Sick and Nearly dead

Options

Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I juice. Its a vitamin to me. I also try and eat a lot of solid vegetables. Im also an omnivore. I just see juicing as a way to add some concentrated micronutrients to my diet. Juice cleanses are silly.
  • anlu37
    anlu37 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    While it makes for interesting TV, I would never follow that diet plan. Seriously! I try to find balance in my life. That is seriously extreme and not sustainable. Make small changes that you can sustain. There's a reason why people who try extreme diets gain all their weight back.

27508099.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    The only thing I juice is ice cream into milkshakes.

no-way-tell-me-more.jpg
    my-milkshake-brings-all-the-boys-to-the-yard-my-milkshake-is-better-than-yours-i-could-teach-you-but-id-have-to-charge_zps3787c7d9.jpg
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I have been there. Was in ICU 2 1'2 years ago.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dsjohndrow/view/today-is-the-day-582715
  • RBrigzy
    RBrigzy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It's the best infomercial I've ever seen, it's so good people think it's a documentary!!!

Well most of the internet and TV media is an infomercial these days.

Back in the old days Soap opera's (eg Coronation Street) were surrounded by adverts for washing powders - hence the nick name soap operas / soaps.

This web site is one BIG infomercial - whatever you post is surrounded by adverts of diet related products and god knows what.

So I have no objection to be seeing an advert for a juicer - would seem daft not to. If I watch a DIY programme I see Nakita or power tools adds.

I didn't think the doc was made to sell juicers - but if it was - do tell . perhaps I am naive, perhaps you are, who knows.. either ay have a lovely day.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    He's admitted since making the movie that Phil has gone back up to around 300 lbs, and still struggles with his weight.

Aw no way...that actually makes me really sad :(
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    He's admitted since making the movie that Phil has gone back up to around 300 lbs, and still struggles with his weight.

Me too, we need to track Phil down and get him on here for sure.. but how?
  • Jivebunnie
    Jivebunnie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    RBrigzy - I've just watched it for the 2nd time, the work he has done is inspiring but juicing isn't for everyone. Fresh juice is great for getting the vitamins & micro nutrients but you also need the fibre and protein. I don't think I could do this for long but for one day a week, it can't hurt. I have a lot of weight to lose and following an eating plan (not diet) is something that I would have to maintain for the rest of my life, you have to make sensible choices. I see juicing as a sensible choice but not as a full time plan, a couple of times a week would do.

We coming up to the autumn now and LOCAL orchards will be bursting with this year's apple crops - apples that don't look so appealing to eat, juice them!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Maybe because it's not sustainable? Juicing can be part of an individual's plan to have a reasonable calories deficit, (if they like juice) but why would anyone want to have that much of it? :sick: Moderation is they key here.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I will have maybe one homemade juice per day. It is a great way to quickly get in 4 to 5 servings of fruits and/or veggies in. But I would never go on a total juice diet.
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    RBrigzy - I've just watched it for the 2nd time, the work he has done is inspiring but juicing isn't for everyone. Fresh juice is great for getting the vitamins & micro nutrients but you also need the fibre and protein. I don't think I could do this for long but for one day a week, it can't hurt. I have a lot of weight to lose and following an eating plan (not diet) is something that I would have to maintain for the rest of my life, you have to make sensible choices. I see juicing as a sensible choice but not as a full time plan, a couple of times a week would do.

We coming up to the autumn now and LOCAL orchards will be bursting with this year's apple crops - apples that don't look so appealing to eat, juice them!

Jive,

yes I have an apple tree with hundreds of apples and a juicer is great - I can freeze the juice too.

I think I should have said when I posted the topic I wasn't recommending the route (or fruit - pardon the the pun) but was inspired by someone caring for someone else with a food problem I think.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Me too, we need to track Phil down and get him on here for sure.. but how?

I'm quite sure I heard Joe Cross say, on a podcast that Phil was back up around 300 lbs. That said.... I just did a quick Google, and another site, that seems to be kind of riding the coattails of Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, claims that Phil is 250 lbs.
    Coronation Street

You don't happen to watch Coronation Street, do you?
  • zazasmom
    Options
    lot of posts against the guy but they must not have watched the whole thing, he clearly believes in eating raw and only did the total juice fast to "re boot" his system and it does work. if he makes a buck, who cares he deserves it for all the inspiration he gives.
    I went on it for 2 weeks and my skin cleared up and I felt so much better and now I'm on 75% raw so it definitely helped me to get going and detox my system.
    zaza's mom:smile::smile:
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Joe calls it a "reboot" for something. It is supposed to reboot your system, starting you up to a better and healthier lifestyle. It is not meant to be something permanent. In that regard the movie was nice to see, not something I have done or would do, but I can imaging it can help others to start a healthier lifestyle. Wouldn't recommend doing it for ever :-)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Well most of the internet and TV media is an infomercial these days.

Even more reason to practice your discernment abilities. Facts are out there...you just need to carefully vet them before fully buying in.
    lot of posts against the guy but they must not have watched the whole thing, he clearly believes in eating raw and only did the total juice fast to "re boot" his system and it does work.

Our bodies are not computers. No reboot is necessary. And from the evidence I've seen, I'm not convinced that "it does work." Just perusing the accounts/stats of MFPers for and against this particular approach (and not just in this specific thread but in the many similar others that have preceded it), it seems there are very few for whom this was a long-term solution.
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    Coronation Street

I used too , havn't for years until just this week by coincidence ... not really sure whats happening, or why Nic is in hospital and what naught thing his nutty brother has done ... I will get hooked on it again if not careful!!
  • RangiRose
    Options
    I juice. Its a vitamin to me. I also try and eat a lot of solid vegetables. Im also an omnivore. I just see juicing as a way to add some concentrated micronutrients to my diet. Juice cleanses are silly.

this^^^ find what works for you and do it for life....
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    What I don't like about my juicer is washing it up - too darn fiddly, and the dishwasher can't handle it.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Coronation Street

I used too , havn't for years until just this week by coincidence ... not really sure whats happening, or why Nic is in hospital and what naught thing his nutty brother has done ... I will get hooked on it again if not careful!!

How much do you need to know, to get you hooked again? Nic might be the father of Kylie's new baby.... and Haley has terminal pancreatic cancer. Karl finally got caught for burning down the Rovers and murdering Sunita.

And from the evidence I've seen, I'm not convinced that "it does work." Just perusing the accounts/stats of MFPers for and against this particular approach (and not just in this specific thread but in the many similar others that have preceded it), it seems there are very few for whom this was a long-term solution.

Well, I have no actual data to back this up, but.... there are juicing disciples at MFP to varying degrees.... and it would certainly appear that most of the juicing naysayers have never tried it. They simply believe in their 'do what is sustainable plan.' I sometimes wonder if all the 'fundamentalists' started out that way... or if some of them, did something to 'kickstart' their weightloss, and have just conveniently forgotten, and now preach the orthodox MFP way. :smile:
    What I don't like about my juicer is washing it up - too darn fiddly, and the dishwasher can't handle it.

I find the juicer cleanup annoying as well. I am lazy that way, though....
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    my-milkshake-brings-all-the-boys-to-the-yard-my-milkshake-is-better-than-yours-i-could-teach-you-but-id-have-to-charge_zps3787c7d9.jpg
    Brings the boy's what to the yard?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!