Government shutdown

Options

Replies

• Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    That's all touching, and I'm not being facetious I mean it, but for me and my family, because Obama thinks I'm "RICH", it'll cost my wife and children around $10k plus a year, and that's only if my company doesn't decide to ditch our insurance which word is they might and force us to go get ACH, then I'll have to add myself to to it, and who knows how much it'll cost then. I've worked hard since I was 17 to get where I am at, and now ACH just took away 8 years of raises, at least.

Between myself, my wife, and 2 kids, I've been paying $850/month for health insurance here in Colorado for almost 2 years, so while I sympathize, I've already been there.

Part of the time I worked at AT&T, insurance for my entire family was free. Within 8 years it has spiraled into the cost of 2 car payments per month. If ACA isn't the answer, I still have to believe letting health insurance companies run rampant cost wise isn't either.
  • SEC_RULES
    SEC_RULES Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    1. This thread was a bad idea. Not the right forum and it will get shut down.
    2. Your problem is with the wealthiest citizens and companies in our country...not the tiny little portion of poor people who take advantage of the system. Once you figure that out, you'll be golden.

I don't see many wealthy people sitting on their duffs with their hands out.

They're the job creators. They're the ones who pump money in to the economy. They're the ones who pay the most taxes (yes, they do)!

They're not saying gimme gimme gimme they're asking 'How can I. . . ."

That has got to be the most ignorant reflection I have seen on this topic, bar none, ANYWHERE (and Facebook's is hard to beat). Have you NOT SEEN OUR TAX CODE lately? HOLY ****! We give away waaaaay more corporate welfare than social welfare, my dear.

You don't think the rich have their hands out ... ? After that tax break Bush gave that constitutes 30% of our deficit? THE JOB CREATORS? HA! HOW'S IT WORKING? If the rich are the job creators and we gave them one of the biggest tax breaks in history so where the @#$@# are the @#$@#$'ing jobs?

Please learn before emoting.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    BUMP

You bumped a post that was in the top spot.

:laugh:
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Maybe this will make people realize the Republicans in office are jerks and need to be put in permanent time-out via voting their *kitten* out of office when the time comes! Or they will believe their lies and continue to keep them employed as they keep screwing over those who aren't millionaires and billionaires.
  • whierd
    Options
    1. This thread was a bad idea. Not the right forum and it will get shut down.
    2. Your problem is with the wealthiest citizens and companies in our country...not the tiny little portion of poor people who take advantage of the system. Once you figure that out, you'll be golden.

I don't see many wealthy people sitting on their duffs with their hands out.

They're the job creators. They're the ones who pump money in to the economy. They're the ones who pay the most taxes (yes, they do)!

They're not saying gimme gimme gimme they're asking 'How can I. . . ."

That has got to be the most ignorant reflection I have seen on this topic, bar none, ANYWHERE (and Facebook's is hard to beat). Have you NOT SEEN OUR TAX CODE lately? HOLY ****! We give away waaaaay more corporate welfare than social welfare, my dear.

You don't think the rich have their hands out ... ? After that tax break Bush gave that constitutes 30% of our deficit? THE JOB CREATORS? HA! HOW'S IT WORKING? If the rich are the job creators and we gave them one of the biggest tax breaks in history so where the @#$@# are the @#$@#$'ing jobs?

Please learn before emoting.

Logical fallacy ftw.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    I know this can and probably will spiral out of control, but since I have been home from work all day, and for the foreseeable future, I'm going to vent. You can agree with me, you can ignore me or you can disagree. This is America, we have that right.

There is no one on earth that despises this president, senate and obamacare more than me. That being said, obamacare is the law and here to stay. To refuse to fund the government over it is nothing but a political show.

I have many views I will not expound on now or this will really get ugly. I just believe in working hard for what I have and I do not like people taking it from me to give to those that wont.

Ready go.....:)

OMG...are we married...this could be my husbands post word for word...including the not working today!
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    That's all touching, and I'm not being facetious I mean it, but for me and my family, because Obama thinks I'm "RICH", it'll cost my wife and children around $10k plus a year, and that's only if my company doesn't decide to ditch our insurance which word is they might and force us to go get ACH, then I'll have to add myself to to it, and who knows how much it'll cost then. I've worked hard since I was 17 to get where I am at, and now ACH just took away 8 years of raises, at least.

My health insurance, through my job, is $855 for a family of four. (My vision, dental and AD&D is another $70) So I get it. I'm going to wait til open enrollment and see if there are any changes, and check the exchanges to see if I can get a cheaper health plan.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Dear American friends,

Re: Government shutdown... what? how? Don't understand (even after reading about it today in the papers). The funds are there but somebody's pulled them? The funds aren't there? The government can't govern?
  • whierd
    Options
    My inner-Libertarian is twitching. I had better go.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Maybe this will make people realize the Republicans in office are jerks and need to be put in permanent time-out via voting their *kitten* out of office when the time comes! Or they will believe their lies and continue to keep them employed as they keep screwing over those who aren't millionaires and billionaires.

And giving one party total control of the government would solve what?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I posted this in my updates, but I thought I'd put it here, since I think it's relevant:

A lady that works here part time for little more than minimum wage signed up for her and her 2 kids for $19/month on the ACA market site this morning. She didn't even know it had gone live today, was ecstatic when I told her and she got on the site and registered. I dunno how this all plays out over time, but seeing stuff like that makes me smile.

8 years ago I was working for AT&T Broadband and we had a big health insurance meeting. I watched a father break into tears in an auditorium full of employees trying to determine if his son who was suffering from MD would be covered by his company insurance and being told no. It's a scene that's picture perfect in my head today, and I always think about what if that was my son or daughter, what would I do?

I feel like ACA probably has some issues, just like any new legislation, social security and medicare weren't perfected in a day, but I think the good for people like the lady in my office far outweighs the bad. Shutting down the government for it seems extreme and selfish, and I hope this ends soon for the people who work for and are affected financially by the furloughs and lack of support they need.

This is what could happen to me. My little hospital they could decide to ditch the insurance, and I would have to pay the god awful amount for obummercare because I'm considered "rich", and thats on the bronze plan huge deductible and and 40% cost. It's to the point I may seriously consider taking part time jobs and downsizing what is the point of working hard for a decent wage?

I also think it is shameful that the only people being affected by this are the hard working military and civilian federal workers. I think congress should hold their heads in shame too bad we cant punish them like they can punish us.
  • whierd
    Options

Didn't you know that the Democrats are the end-all-be-all political party?
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing that bothers me. I am a retired Air Force officer, and my husband continues to work on an AF base. This shutdown is hurting people. There are plenty of people who work very hard, but who are lower level GS workers whose paychecks allow them to "make it", but just barely. Through no fault of their own, a single lost paycheck means that they will struggle to put food on the table for themselves and their kids. Adding this to the 6 days of lost wages due to the sequester furloughs, and you have a significant part of the government work force who is truly suffering as a result of this. There were people in tears today at my husband's workplace. Awful to see your co-workers lives to negatively impacted. I know civil servants have had a bad rap lately, but most are good, honest people who work their butts off and whose work and personal sacrifices make the lives of so many much better.

THIS!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options

I feel like ACA probably has some issues, just like any new legislation, social security and medicare weren't perfected in a day, but I think the good for people like the lady in my office far outweighs the bad. Shutting down the government for it seems extreme and selfish, and I hope this ends soon for the people who work for and are affected financially by the furloughs and lack of support they need.

This pretty much summarizes my opinions on it. It's not perfect (and it probably won't ever make EVERYONE completely satisfied), but we have to start somewhere.
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options

Between myself, my wife, and 2 kids, I've been paying $850/month for health insurance here in Colorado for almost 2 years, so while I sympathize, I've already been there.

Part of the time I worked at AT&T, insurance for my entire family was free. Within 8 years it has spiraled into the cost of 2 car payments per month. If ACA isn't the answer, I still have to believe letting health insurance companies run rampant cost wise isn't either.

Believe me I have no love lost for corporate America and current insurance practices. But right now insurance costs me a $1 a paycheck because I work for a company that cares. My wife's cost about $90 a month for her can't remember what the kids were, but she lost that job because the company folded, and the new company (home health) doesn't offer insurance. But with the way ACH is designed, it may force my boss to drop our insurance, either that or lay people off, and ACH is funded by those who are "rich", which I think that number that defines you as rich is $94k per household, at least that is where the discounts stop. So, now I suffer. I don't mind paying taxes actually, what I do mind is the abuse of the money collected from the taxes I pay, and their lies the problem. Obamacare will be just yet another corrupt and abused federal system.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Libertarians FTMFW...peace out thread...
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options

THIS!!!! Proud and loud right here.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Um, did I say give one party ultimate power? I don't believe I did so please do not shove words in my mouth. That's very rude. I just said to vote out those who are actively screwing us over. For all I know, there could be a Republican out there or two who aren't all about hurting those who are less fortunate than they are. Anything is possible...
  • whierd
    Options

THIS!!!! Proud and loud right here.

Sure+_2718911aeb0939edfdcf2ba56dc9b572.jpg
This discussion has been closed.