Have people's concepts of normal become too fat?

Options

Replies

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    see many cultures its different. Body types are different. In most of Asia, you can be fit (AKA, low body fat %, have a 6 pack etc) and get called fat. You HAVE to be stick thin to be considered not fat here.

I personally say, who cares. Just be happy with your body. Nobody ever got a body that EVERYBODY around him/her were happy with. So why try to fit into what others thought was good looking eh? :)

I agree with this.

And being from the UK, I do not think it's considered normal to be fatter there at all, but I'm from London where every one aspires to be very thin. Apparently, in northern parts of the country the average sizes of people are bigger.
    I agree. In live in Fife in Scotland now and I notice a huge difference when I go back to London to visit family, generally people are thinner there. I joke that where as in north West London, every other shop on the high street is a nail bar, in Fife, ever other shop is a bakers!!

The most recent version of the UK "fat map" as the media calls it always makes for interesting viewing...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2320561/Fat-map-Britain-revealed-East-Midlands-worst-place-obesity-related-hospital-admissions.html
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    One word "YES" !!!!
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I honestly do think that as a country (at least in the UK, being a member of said country) our standard of what is average and "normal" has become extremely sloppy. It's ridiculous, I find myself unable to shop at a lot of clothing shops because even their lowest sizes are huge on me, some shops are still ok, but I've found that some places (im looking at you tk maxx and new look) have ridiculously large clothing sizes in relation to what size they are saying they actually are. Also I've noticed that since I've lost the weight people have started expressing concern as they feel I am becoming "too thin". To be honest I just think that everyone else is becoming too fat.

It's impossible to judge the health of someone entirely by looking; or by their clothing size. I don't advocate people telling you you look ""too thin" but the fact that they're larger also doesn't make them "too fat." Whether or not I, for instance, am "too fat" is entirely between me and my doctor, and the rest of the world is NOT entitled to an opinion about it.

If you don't appreciate the concern being expressed, say, "I know you have my best interest at heart, and I appreciate that, but my doctor and I are watching to be sure I stay healthy." But in return you really should refrain from judging other people's weight too.
  • smu_77
    smu_77 Posts: 8
    Options
    I actually have a funny story about that. I was online dating for a while and on the profile described myself as 'curvy' (I was 5'8'' and 180 lbs then). I once went on a date with someone that was disappointed that I was 'normal' and not what he thought was 'curvy'. He suggested I should change my description to 'normal' or 'average'. Clearly, at 180 pounds I was overweight but apparently not enough :)
  • CollieFit
    Options
    Yes, and daily exercise is abnormal.

Yup, especially when you're not trying to lose weight. It's like, if I don't have 30+ pounds to lose, why am I trying to eat healthy or exercise?

LOL very true.

There has to be a "justification" for daily exercising such as weight loss. Simply enjoying it, that seems to be considered pathological. :laugh: :wink:
  • spookiefox
    Options
    i definitely think peoples concepts are skewed! i'm 5'2" and 138 (which is still overweight in america by 2-3lbs) but people tell me i'm 'tiny' and 'skinny' and dont need to lose weight. i stopped talking about weight loss to the people around me because, after losing 25lbs and getting to a size 4/6 no one thinks i need to lose more weight. i think as long as you are healthy, of mind and food intake, then your goal body is your goal body and it's no one's business to comment on it. you wouldnt walk up to a fat person and call them fat and tell them to stop eating so why would you walk up to a smaller person and tell them that they are skinny and need to eat...TOTALLY RUDE IMO!

Yeah, I get that. If a thin/fit person went up to an overweight/obese person and said "you don't need to eat," there would be an uprising!

Oh, what a crock of bull! Thin people do this all the time, then justify it by saying it's a health issue. You absolutely positively CANNOT tell how healthy a person is by looking.

It's 100% correct that what someone else is eating and how much they weigh is nobody else's business, and when threads like this start that is the only correct response. Each person's weight is between them and their doctor. You have to be pretty overweight before your weight alone makes you necessarily unhealthy and it is absolutely possible to be very unhealthy and also thin. So you CANNOT judge health from weight alone.
  • mkemmc6009
    Options
    I think that marketing also contributes to people feeling ok with their weight. Being an older person on the weight loss journey I have some skirts that I purchased 20 years ago that do not come close to zipping (yet). The tags say that they are size 10 or 12, but the purchases I'm making now (so that I have something to wear until these clothes fit) are a size 8. A ploy to make us feel smaller than we are and thus ok with ourselves. I can't wait til my old clothes fit, I'm interested in seeing what size my new clothes will be.
  • CollieFit
    Options
    i definitely think peoples concepts are skewed! i'm 5'2" and 138 (which is still overweight in america by 2-3lbs) but people tell me i'm 'tiny' and 'skinny' and dont need to lose weight. i stopped talking about weight loss to the people around me because, after losing 25lbs and getting to a size 4/6 no one thinks i need to lose more weight. i think as long as you are healthy, of mind and food intake, then your goal body is your goal body and it's no one's business to comment on it. you wouldnt walk up to a fat person and call them fat and tell them to stop eating so why would you walk up to a smaller person and tell them that they are skinny and need to eat...TOTALLY RUDE IMO!

Yeah, I get that. If a thin/fit person went up to an overweight/obese person and said "you don't need to eat," there would be an uprising!

Oh, what a crock of bull! Thin people do this all the time, then justify it by saying it's a health issue. You absolutely positively CANNOT tell how healthy a person is by looking.

It's 100% correct that what someone else is eating and how much they weigh is nobody else's business, and when threads like this start that is the only correct response. Each person's weight is between them and their doctor. You have to be pretty overweight before your weight alone makes you necessarily unhealthy and it is absolutely possible to be very unhealthy and also thin. So you CANNOT judge health from weight alone.

That's fine if it's a private doctor.

When everyone else has to foot the bill then the private is also public.

I don't advocate random people walking up to random people telling them they're fat, but you have to appreciate that at least in the UK it's the public purse that pays for healthcare.
  • blondiebabe92
    blondiebabe92 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    What has become the norm is body shaming no matter what. I just hope we remember to be careful what we say in front of children and try to be kind to them. In their developmental stage it becomes easy to make them have a skewed view of weight. That's also why an alarming number of teenage girls suffer from Eating Disorders. I personally have learned to either say something nice or shut it after I saw my 14 year old cousin who was normal weight develop an eating disorder with the view 100lb is a good weight even at her height of 5'8. I learned the impact of the overly skinny celebrities. Seriously pictures and cameras do add weight. I have a degree in TV, they do add weight. When we went to a premiere in NY we saw a lot of celebs in person and they ere skinnier then the pictures and videos show. And models are still thin. Karlie Kloss and I are the same age and nearly same height. She weighs only about 115lbs, that is underweight by a lot. Low healthy is 132ish.

Bu back on topic our society has become where we think our opinion always matter. My Communication law and ethics professor said it best "You have the right to communicate but you also have the right to shut up". Sometimes we forget that words are very powerful weather we are fat shaming or skinny shaming. Try being nice. Your words might affect someone the wrong way.
  • spookiefox
    Options
    I think that marketing also contributes to people feeling ok with their weight. Being an older person on the weight loss journey I have some skirts that I purchased 20 years ago that do not come close to zipping (yet). The tags say that they are size 10 or 12, but the purchases I'm making now (so that I have something to wear until these clothes fit) are a size 8. A ploy to make us feel smaller than we are and thus ok with ourselves. I can't wait til my old clothes fit, I'm interested in seeing what size my new clothes will be.

And what is the financial benefit to the manufacturer of skirts that you feel good about yourself? Conspiracy theories make me crazy. No one conspiring to make you fat.
  • blondiebabe92
    blondiebabe92 Posts: 132 Member
    Options

I don't advocate random people walking up to random people telling them they're fat, but you have to appreciate that at least in the UK it's the public purse that pays for healthcare.
    well then you also have to advocate for heavier people telling the thin that they are two skinny. Being underweight has it's share of health problems and they believe you to be underweight. It has to be a two way street. So if it is public health care everyone gets to tell each other what they feel about their weights. Takes me to my previous post "you have the right to communicate but you also have the right to shut up" Not you though previous poster just the idea that in public purse health care.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I'm speaking about people from the UK here. I'm not sure about other countries, but this is something that i find interesting because i'm 5''10 and my weight is around 135-138 pounds, which is normal under the BMI but people tell me that i look anorexic and that i need to eat a cheeseburger. I don't think it's me that's too skinny, i think that people's concepts of normal have become too fat because now a days there are a lot of chubby/overweight people walking around and that's what people have gotten used to seeing so now it's considered normal to a lot of people.

The big problem is that people often use non-quantifiable means to decide if someone is "normal" or "fat". Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so are "normal", "anorexic", and "fat" if all you're using is the visual assessment. There's also the inherent weakness that "normal" is limited in that it means someone conforms to the norm. If the usual body people see or expect to see is heavier, then "normal" becomes heavier. If they expect to see a thinner body, such as with fashion models, then the normal becomes thinner for that group.
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    the one thing I have learnt from reading this entire thread that it doesn't seem to matter whether we consider ourselves fat, obese, skinny, slim or whatever, we are more interested in discussing others issues with their bodies rather than our own.

And thank you to the poster who mentioned about the rudeness of 'you're too skinny' comments - I am so looking forward to the next one I get - the riposte of "How come you didn't say I was too fat when I was nearly 5 stone heavier then?" is just waiting.........
  • chubbybword123
    chubbybword123 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I rather suspect it's actually that our idea of 'ideal weight/body shape' has become too thin. The 'ideal' displayed by Hollywood, the music and print media industries is actually representative of an underweight or very-low-range 'normal' BMI*, in most cases (I'm speaking predominantly of females here), with a very low body fat percentage (unhealthily low for women of childbearing age in many cases) and reflects (again, in general) a physique that is only physically-achievable by less than 5% of the population.

The 'ideal' figures of most of the last century were much, much closer to the 'average' female form, and were achievable or at least emulatable in a healthy way by more women, thus the contrast between 'ideal' and 'realistic' was much less startling. Compare celebrities of the past such as Ava Gardner, Sophia Loren, Jayne Russell, Doris Day or Marilyn Monroe to Reese Witherspoon, Kristen Stewart, Anne Hathaway et al, and this becomes evident very quickly. Even a young Meryl Streep or Diane Keaton was much closer to 'average' in size than the current crop of ultra-thin actresses.

*Which is not a good measure of individual health, but this isn't the place to go into that!

Exactly. ^
  • chubbybword123
    chubbybword123 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My favorite kind of fat shaming is "concerned fat shaming". You know, when random folks comment on overweight people but insist it's not how they look that upsets them, it's genuine concern for their health. How dare they try to learn to accept and be happy as they are at a UK 16/US 12; what about their health?

Oh and one time someone told m to eat a burger and it hurt my feelings. How dare these overweight people lash out with even a fraction of the venom the world has heaped on to them; they're not allowed to be bitter and mean; after all I'm slim/athletic/skinny and they should aspire to be more like me because I am closer to the ideal.

Who cares if being fat is more acceptable? Are fat people making you fat? Making your kid fat? Eating all your food? Stealing your jobs or otherwise inhibiting your life in some manner beyond making you look upon their overweight forms? As far a I'm concerned it just means more clothes available in my size; sounds like a win to me.

So this. ^
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I'm speaking about people from the UK here. I'm not sure about other countries, but this is something that i find interesting because i'm 5''10 and my weight is around 135-138 pounds, which is normal under the BMI but people tell me that i look anorexic and that i need to eat a cheeseburger. I don't think it's me that's too skinny, i think that people's concepts of normal have become too fat because now a days there are a lot of chubby/overweight people walking around and that's what people have gotten used to seeing so now it's considered normal to a lot of people.
    Dude - I was 190 lbs at 5'10" with 20% BF which is a healthy range, but still overweight on the BMI chart, hence why BMI is totally useless. I could never be 138 lbs without dropping significant muscle mass, which would be unhealthy to do.

I do agree that there's a lot of fat acceptance these days.
  • spookiefox
    Options

So what? Or is everything in another person's life your business because it might affect "the public purse?" Is it your business whether or not someone else wears sunscreen? Whether or not they ride a motorcycle or scooter? Whether or not they look both ways before they cross the street? Whether or not they choose to have children? Women who have never had a child have a MUCH higher risk of female cancers. Should all who choose not to have children be shamed because "the public purse" may have to cover their cancers?

Another persons weight and personal habits are NOT your business, "public purse" or no.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    in the uk even the "special k " advert girl is now fat and wearing a one piece !!!
    I would hardly say she was "fat" :noway:

That women on the special k advert is not fat. And as for bashing plus size models....its not like they are fat.....they are just bigger than the usual models. I think they are sexy but everyone has their own opinions i guess :)
  • CollieFit
    Options
    You misunderstood what I said. Someone's obesity may not be anyone's business but the SUBJECT of obesity is a public health crisis, it's a legitimate topic of debate in a country where healthcare is funded by the tax payer!
  • LauraElectric
    LauraElectric Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am totally ambivalent when it comes to 'normal.' I see people on programmes like 'Supersize vs. Superskinny' and think "That skinny has a great figure, she doesn't look too bad" then realise that's INSANE and she's unhealthily thin, but then I also see a lot of bigger people and think they're 'normal' as well.

Our society is very dissonant about weight and body image. We are surround by images of stick thin celebs and models on the one hand, and fat friends/family/society on the other.Both are presented as 'normal' in their different settings, but it leads to a weird state in my brain where nothing is normal and everything is normal.

:sick:

I've confused myself.