What does your day look like? Fitting in exercise...

Options

Replies

• jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My typical weekday is
    5:50 Wake up, get dressed, get coffee maker ready to go if didn't do it the night before
    6:15 Go to gym
    7:45 Get back from gym, get ready for work, grab coffee, throw together a quick lunch
    8:30 Leave for work
    9:00-5:30 Work
    Depending on the night, 6:00-8:30 is roller derby practice or it's making dinner time if no derby practice
    8:30- Freeish time until we go to bed

I've found if I do the working out thing first thing in the morning it becomes a habit and I don't even think about it.
    Disclaimer: my house is also a mess most of the time. We generally clean on weekends.
  • gringuitica
    gringuitica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I get it. I SO get it. Exercise is a priority, but I have a dozen other priorities, too. I don't have the time, or at least not enough of it, to regularly make it to the gym. But I DO have time for a short workout in the morning; right now it's the 30-Day Shred, and that takes only 25 minutes including stretching. Can you work 25 minutes into your morning routine? It could be while the kids eat breakfast with your husband or watch a few episodes of Curious George or color or whatever... Or it could be 25 minutes before they get up. If you go to bed 25 minutes earlier, you can get up 25 minutes earlier.

The other thing I do is load my son into the stroller and take him on a walk. This works particularly well during his naptime, because he 1) konks out in two seconds (I swear the stroller is better than the car) and 2) I can focus on powering up hills instead of refilling his snack cup.
  • hunnyhun921
    hunnyhun921 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    what about making family time a "family exercise time"?
  • xombiebite
    xombiebite Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    ya'll are getting up when im going to bed!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    My "baby" just turned 19, so I really had to think back to what I was doing at that point in my life. I was only working part time, tho, so had more time available to me.

When Baby Boy went down for his afternoon nap, my then-two year old other son "worked out" with me in front of the TV. I think I did a post-partum tape (yes, tape, LOL), and eventually graduated to an "Ab Isolator" workout, LOL...And when the hubs got home from work, we would load the boys into the stroller and either walk around housing or put on inline skates and skate around the neighborhood.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    4:45am - Get up
    5:30 - 6:45am - boot camp / gym
    Dog to daycare :)
    7:15am - 5pm: work (run during lunch)
    After work: pick up dog, errands, get stuff ready for work the next day, clean (or write check for the cleaning lady :)
    I go to bed sometime around 10:30 or 11 usually.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I have 3 kids, 2 dogs, a husband and a job. You just have to do it.

4:30am - Up and getting dressed for the gym. Have a quick cup of coffee and make a smoothie to drink while driving.
    5am - 6:15 at the gym
    6:30am back home getting kids up for school
    between 6:30-7:30am getting their breakfast all set, bags packed, myself showered , dressed and ready for work.
    8am-5pm Work
    5:30-8pm home to get dinner ready, homework and showers/baths done. Clean up from the kids/babysitter mess. Clothes and lunches ready for everyone for the next day.
    8:30-9pm I pretty much pass out!
  • cherryblossomrose
    Options
    Great thread. Some good ideas here. Making me re-evaluate my day to find time to fit in 30DS. I was doing it early mornings, but ran out of steam!

I currently walk to/from work, walk to/from school run and do 10-15 mins sit-ups in the evening in front of the TV as too shattered to do anything more .

Main issue for me is getting to bed early enough to get up early enough to exercise before work. Have young child and elderly disabled mother to care for, so life is one mega big juggle. Husband does his bit, bless him. Rarely hit the sac before midnight as catching up on chores ready to do it all again the next day.
  • GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It IS possible. Maybe your schedule everyday won't be the same. Maybe you can only "fit it in" a few days a week. Those days count, until things slow down. I'm fortunate enough to have consistency in my days and weeks, but with that they are consistently CRAZY. I lift four days a week (NOTHING gets in the way of this) , do cardio 1-2 days a week in some way shape or form (I will skip this if needed, but rarely). I always pack food with me and I have three kids. 6th grade, 4th grade and pre school. I have an hour commute 4 days a week with 10 hour shifts and I work a second job 2 out of three of my days off. I coach volleyball five days a week and my kids are all in different activities. My job also requires travel from time to time.

My schedule:

Working Days: 4 days a week

2:30 am get up and go lift at gym
    4:00 am: Drive to work ( I use this time to mentally prepare my to do lists for the day
    5:00 am: At work
    3:00 pm :Drive home (I use this time to talk on the phone for coordinating anything that needs to be done)
    4:00 pm : Volleyball games or practice (middle daughter walks to dance practice)
    5:30 pm: Nap for 20-30 minutes
    6:00 pm : Dinner/homework/assign chores and tasks for evening
    7:30 pm: Cook or pack lunches for entire family for next day, prepare my work bag, sign off and check homework
    8:00 pm: Bed time

Non - Working Days: 2nd job at 8 pm until 2 am on two of these nights

8:00 am up
    8:30 am Gym or mountain biking depending on the day
    The middle of the day consist of either appointments, volleybal, errands that I needed to get done from the week including grocery shopping, bank runs, bill paying, etc. I will do a lunch date with anyone I need to catch up with on this day, too. In the late afternoon, we do some sort of family activity after kids are out of school.
    7:00 pm: Get ready for 2nd job
    8:00 pm : Go to work as bartender
    2:00 am : Get home and sleep

Rinse....repeat. It is doable.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I'm self employed, which means that I'm mostly in control of my schedule, BUT my work involves long hours at the computer, obsessing over details. Fortunately, I like to exercise. If nothing else, I normally go to some dance classes and yoga classes. Going to a class gets me out of the house, at which point I'm likely to jump on the elliptical trainer, do my lifting workout, or go for a hike, depending on where my class is. My husband also prompts me to take walks and go to the gym with him. Anything that gets you moving is better than staying in place.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Reading some of your schedules, I should NEVER miss a workout because although at times I think I am busy, many of you have me beat by a lot & still find time.
    In general my workout slots are before work 5-530 am and/or right after work 430-530 pm.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My days have finally started to normalize now..

5:20am Wake up and Eat
    5:30am. Kid #2 awake
    5:45am Feed Child #2
    6:00am Wake Child #1 (While Carrying child #2 until 7am)
    6:15am Feed Child #1
    6:30am Find Clothes for Child #1
    6:45am Do Child #1 hair and get her packed up for school
    6:55am Drop Child #2 at Grandmas
    7:10am Drive Child #1 to School
    7:30am Get to the Gym
    8:30am Leave Gym
    8:45am Home and Shower & Food
    9:00am Check Calendar and Head to Appt #1
    9:00am -3:30pm WORK
    3:30pm- Leave to Pickup Child #1 from SchooL
    4:15Pm- Pickup Child #2 and Home
    4:45PM- Feed Child #2
    5:00PM- Prep Dinner
    5:30pm- Feed Child #1 and Eat Dinner
    6:00pm- Hand off Child #2 to Mother
    6:00pm- Cleanup
    6:30pm- Paperwork and or playing with Child #1
    7:30pm- Child #1 Bath, Jammies
    8:00pm- Child #1 Read Books
    8:30pm- Child #1 Bedtime
    9:00am- Foam Roller, Stretching, Possible Cardio
    10:00pm- SLEEP
    11:00pm- Wakeup with screaming child #2
    12:00pm- Back to Sleep (hopefully)
    Random time in the night, possibly up with child #2 again)
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to exercise right away when I wake up or wake up early just for that. I've tried but I just can't do it for more than a few days. Especially, now that it's dark.

I work full time and am in school full time for my PhD. When I come home, I don't want to leave again or work out. I fit mine in between clients or with clients.

I work with kids with autism. The first half of my day is at a preschool. At recess I move play games with them but I don't count that as exercise unless I play tag with them the whole half hour. They're quick little buggers! I don't usually log this exercise as it's part of my day.

I have another client in the afternoon who likes to walk. Everyday we walk 15-40 minutes. I do log this because it's that amount of time consistently. I time it and log it.

There are 3 days where I have gaps of 1-2 hours between clients. On those days, if I have no school work, then I'll go to the park or the mall and just walk around the whole time.

On days where I don't work, I'll go to the gym or do something more rigorous but at this time, I just feel so much more pressure if I try to fit in the gym.

Perhaps you can fit something in at work? A 15 minute break to take a walk? How old are your kids? If they're younger maybe have them nap in the stroller while you take a walk? A 20 minute exercise video you can do between housework/bills while they nap?
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    7am - 10am: Breakfast & coffee, cleaning, play with the dog, shower/get ready
    11am - 12pm: Drop the dog off at my work and go to the gym nearby for 45 min. Go back to work.
    12pm - 9pm: I work.
    9pm - 10pm: Take the dog home and go to the climbing gym to get some routes in or just go home
    11pm-12pm: Visit the pub with friends or go to bed
  • firekitty2
    Options
    I hear you on that! You are lucky to have a husband to help. I don't have a back up to help with my two boys. So when I run its with them in the stroller and just around the neighborhood. Weight lifting is difficult because I get interrupted more often then not. Here is my schedule:
    5am up getting breakfast made and the kids ready for daycare.
    6:30-7:30 fighting traffic, dropping kids off
    7:30am to 4:30ish at work
    another hour drive to get kids and to the house.
    6pm online classes / dinner / weight lifting
    7pm bath for kids
    8pm bedtime for kids
    9pm run a mile
    10ish Homework
    11:30ish I am off to dream land!!
    I say if you have kids that you incorporate them into the routine. Its better to teach them to work out now. My boys always work out with me. Its fun and helps up bond.
  • albionjen
    albionjen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Everyone else gets up so early!

My day looks like

7:30- wake up
    9:00-10:00 commute to work
    10:00 - 18:30 work
    18:30-19:30 commute home
    19:30-21:00 either gym, swim, shower or run, shower
    21:00 curse that I didn't tidy up after cooking yesterday, then do washing up
    21:15 - cook dinner, eat
    22:00 - relax (read, watch TV, give my parents a call, catch up with friends etc.) or tidy/clean (unlikely to happen, see my usual activity for 21:00!)
    23:30 - bed

Obviously I have it easier as I don't have kids, so not as manic. But working full time with 2 hours commute per day does make it harder to fit everything in! I love days I work from home as I just swap one of my commute hours for working out instead :)

If I am going out after work I try to get up early for a run, but it is getting harder to do as it gets colder and darker on the mornings now :(
  • pricesteve
    pricesteve Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    A typical weekday. Single Father of 3 teen+ kids Working job half in office, half at home
    5:15 wake up
    5:30 finally out of bed
    5:35 make breakfast
    5:40 consume breakfast
    5:45 leave for work:
    6:30 start work
    7:00 phone kids to make sure they are up for school
    11:00 finish office job
    12:00 Gym
    13:00 Pool
    14:00 Home working, wait for kids to come home
    18:00 Cook dinner
    18:30 consume dinner
    19:00 Grocery Shopping for next day, 20 minute, 2500 Steps return walk.
    20:00 relax
    21:00 bed
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Short, intense spurts of exercise can do a lot for your total burn, and for your training. Sometimes, I do ten minutes of lower body exercises, ten minutes of upper body exercises, and ten minutes of some kind of cardio sprint, all at different times.
  • lillivewire87
    lillivewire87 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Typical Tuesday and Thursday:

5:00 Wake up and hit the snooze button for another 15 minutes
    5:15 Drag myself out of bed and into my workout clothes
    5:25 Drive to the gym
    5:30 Get my butt on the stair-climber, the row machine, or the treadmill
    6:00 Start a 15 minute stretch session
    6:15 Get into the shower
    6:45 Dressed and on my way to work
    7:40ish (depending on traffic) Clock in and sit down to my greek yogurt and cup of tea while reading my emails
    8-12 Push those papers baby!
    12-1 Eat my lunch and take at a 30 minute walk outside or if the weather is bad walk in our storage warehouse
    1-5 More papers!
    5-6 Sit in a parking lot of cars until I am by some miracle transported home
    6:00 Make some yummy food for me and my man
    7:15 Take a stroll with my man and the dog
    7:45 throw back on that workout gear and wait for the bestie to come pick me up
    8:00 BEAST MODE ACTIVATE- Cuz I am sweating for the wedding yall!
    8:45 Stretch out
    9:00 Home to watch some DVR'd TV and snuggle with the man and dogface
    10:30 Out like a light! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Mondays and Fridays I do the same with the exception of I I walk the dog in the mornings those days and only go to the gym in the evening. Wednesdays and my weekends I typically reserve for fun and relaxation with friends and family (and cleaning). I might throw in a fun workout class like Zumba, TRX, or Pound with my best friend or occasionally if I can get him off the couch my man.

Having someone to do this with you is always helpful. I have a wonderful best friend that I go to the gym with at least three times a week. However, I can honestly say, I feel the best when I have made myself go! At least two mornings a week (what I thought was impossible before) I get up 2 hours early and go to they gym at 5:30 in the morning. I used to think I was too tired or that it would affect my work performance or that I would just want to sleep when I got home....honestly those two days a week are the ones where I have the MOST energy. I feel great about myself for going to the gym. Even if it is only for 30 minutes of cardio, I still went and I did it all by myself.

Obviously I don't have kids yet but I agree with @albionjen. I have a full time job with two 1 hour commutes. You have to take the time, unfortunately those extra hours just don't appear. Your kids will see that you are taking care of yourself and it will help motivate them to be active too! Make it a family thing by taking walks, going to the park, or if you are like my sisters gym...kid area full of fun physical activities! Or if you have a game system get some fun workout related games. My nephews LOVE to Zumba with me. It all adds up!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I do work 40 hrs/wk

Mon-Thurs

6:00 wake up, long hot bath & getting hair/makeup coordinated for the day
    7:00 breakfast and a few light household chores
    7:45 go to work (2 mile commute)
    11:30 home for lunch break and usually spend 2/3 of that time doing laundry, sweeping, prep-cooking, dishes, etc.
    12:30 back to work
    5:00 come home, check mail & make/eat dinner
    5:30 or 5:45 long walk or bike ride (usually alone, occasionally with a friend)
    6:30 or 6:45 read/relax. Thursday evenings I clean the entire house top to bottom.
    8:00 chat with my fiancé (he lives apart from me Mon-Thurs to care for his terminally ill mother)
    10:00 sleep

So I get in about 70 min of light exercise daily (I under-log), which is cool with me. I am not a gym goer. On the weekends I get much more activity from hiking and many hours of sightseeing or errands etc.