A very interesting and informational read on deficits...

Options

Replies

• mdpkelley
    Options
    i read it but I'm not sure i understand.. how do i figure out what i should be eating a day?

You are still applying the basic method, eat less than you burn daily, on average.

This helps with making it a reasonable deficit to what you burn.

So you need best accuracy on what you eat side of the equation - so weigh all your foods except liquids that are measured.

Get best estimates for the burn side of the equation, not just exercise but daily life.

Take reasonable deficit based on what you do and amount to lose.

This will help get best estimates, and allow tracking progress. More exercise you do, more the progress will be seen in inches instead of scale. Link at bottom if you don't need the education on BMR and TDEE and why differences.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

I looked at this link and it just confused me. there isn't a simple way to find out?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Bump to finish later. I read a good bit, but it is very long. What I did read seemed sensible.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    i read it but I'm not sure i understand.. how do i figure out what i should be eating a day?

You are still applying the basic method, eat less than you burn daily, on average.

So you need best accuracy on what you eat side of the equation - so weigh all your foods except liquids that are measured.

Get best estimates for the burn side of the equation, not just exercise but daily life.

This will help get best estimates, and allow tracking progress. More exercise you do, more the progress will be seen in inches instead of scale. Link at bottom if you don't need the education on BMR and TDEE and why differences.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

I looked at this link and it just confused me. there isn't a simple way to find out?

No.
    Unless you want to pay a lab to monitor you for a 24 hr day for energy burn, and then get your VO2max tested so you can get a nicer HRM setup correctly.
    Then you'll have the figures to do this simple.

But you'd still need to log eating as correct as possible.

You want rough ball park results, then go for simple rough ball park setup.

sadly, you want results, you'll need to work to understand. Or spend a lifetime doing this again and again never learning.

Simple depends on person, get it setup right once, and make minor adjustments along the way.
    Or basic setup at first, log carefully and note results, and then make adjustments along the way - probably takes longer.

Eat at 10-11 calories per pound of weight, and eat your exercise calories back.
    After 4 weeks, see how much you have lost.
    Calculate what your TDEE must have been to cause that loss.
    Adjust accordingly.
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • Spartan_1_1_7
    Spartan_1_1_7 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
  • souzan651
    souzan651 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump
    for later...
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    need to read at home...
  • tlab827
    tlab827 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later.
  • jennie1799
    Options
    bump
  • sassabella
    Options
    That was a great article!! Thanks for sharing :)
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options

No.
    Unless you want to pay a lab to monitor you for a 24 hr day for energy burn, and then get your VO2max tested so you can get a nicer HRM setup correctly.
    Then you'll have the figures to do this simple.

But you'd still need to log eating as correct as possible.

You want rough ball park results, then go for simple rough ball park setup.

sadly, you want results, you'll need to work to understand. Or spend a lifetime doing this again and again never learning.

Simple depends on person, get it setup right once, and make minor adjustments along the way.
    Or basic setup at first, log carefully and note results, and then make adjustments along the way - probably takes longer.

Eat at 10-11 calories per pound of weight, and eat your exercise calories back.
    After 4 weeks, see how much you have lost.
    Calculate what your TDEE must have been to cause that loss.
    Adjust accordingly.

Love this. :bigsmile: Classic poor teaching... 'You don't understand because you're not trying. It's NOTHING to do with the way I explained things.'.

If you're explaining something to someone and they don't understand, the problem is with you, not them.
  • coffee4me57
    Options
    tagging to read later, thanks
  • 007FatSlayer
    007FatSlayer Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Good read!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Love this. :bigsmile: Classic poor teaching... 'You don't understand because you're not trying. It's NOTHING to do with the way I explained things.'.

If you're explaining something to someone and they don't understand, the problem is with you, not them.

The request was for something simple - and while many think it is, doing it right is not that simple, there is not a simple answer except what was given.

I see you actually misunderstood my post, so I guess you are right, I didn't explain that correctly.

The OP, which was actually a copy of an article written by a well respected person, didn't help.

My referenced topic that tried to expand on certain items didn't help.

At a certain point, a person does need to be interested in moving away from "just do it for me" basically, and learn something. Perhaps that's an assumption here, but many have outright stated that in the past in these forums, they don't want to learn, just tell me.
    And since they failed to understand the principle, they couldn't adjust to changes.

I sensed that here, and hoped they'd ask more questions to show they wanted to learn.
  • micneg01
    micneg01 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nickyvw
    nickyvw Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Tag
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Great read! Thanks