OK guys... what's the best greek yogurt?

Options

Replies

• Shortjay25
    Options
    Fage 0%, you can eat it like yogurt with fruit or use as a substitute for sour cream in cooking
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    I like the chobani yoghurt but about a week ago I bought the flavoured ski d'lite yoghurt that is nice and I have some yoplait waiting for me in my fridge
  • violette37
    violette37 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Fage is good for cooking and as a substitute for sour cream, but I really like greek gods honey n vanilla flavor as a dip for fruit or with some granola. Greek gods brand is a little tricky to find and it does pack some calories since it isn't low fat. However a modest amount is very satisfying and a yummy treat.
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I like yoplait Greek yogurt. It has less sugar and is yummy at the same time. But I can't do plain Greek yogurt.
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Fage is the king of Greek yogurts IMHO. I did have a Liberte Greek yogurt yesterday and its the most comparable to Fage.
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    i've only tried one brand, Danone Silhouette Fat-Free Greek Yogurt in Tropical Delight... i found it delicious i don't know if it's one of the worst out there or the best but at 50 calories, 7g carbs, 2g fiber and 8g protein you can't really go wrong i guess
  • clarke_gray
    clarke_gray Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes 2 percent plain Greek yogurt. Have around 100 grams and add fresh fruit - blueberries or strawberries.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    2% percent Oly greek yoghurt. It's a product of the Olympus brand and it's the only yoghurt I eat almost. Heck! I eat it 75% of the mornings for almost a year and a half and I still love it.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    My favorites are Greek Gods and Noosa.
  • janessanessa
    janessanessa Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Chobani is my ultimate favorite! I don't care for the taste of the brands that use Splenda or other artificial sweeteners.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Dannon Oikos is good to me, but I've only tried it and Yoplait. When I got Yoplait, the single serve bowls were less than half full. What a ripoff.
  • Ruthie1970
    Ruthie1970 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I Love Dannon lite and fit greek yogurt - vanilla
    some fruit and alittle granola and its like dessert
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I love Fage plain 2%.
  • MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    They are all bad and full of GMO's. Find plain greek yogurt (organic) and puree strawberries and add them in there. Most yogurts have as much sugar as a candy bar!
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I wish we had Fage or Chobani here in Toronto. I ate Fage while in Greece and it is divine.

Normally, I purchase Liberté 0% plain Greek. However, if I'm feeling indulgent, I'll choose Astro 10% fat plain Greek. OMG, it's so thick & delicious. Yes, you read it right, 10% milk fat. Mmm.... :heart:

...Also, if I have the time, I'll use either of those as a starter & make my own.

If there's more in it than milk & bacterial cultures, it's just not worth buying, and often not healthy. You really acquire a taste for plain Greek in time & you'll eventually love it as is. However, a drop of stevia & a drop of vanilla will sweeten it up, while keeping those calories & sugars low.
  • ronnyharry
    Options
    Hi. Total 2% or 0% are definitely the best by a mile, Total has the added advantage of actually being GREEK- not like Dannon and all the other pretenders. After over 30 years experience I can promise you you will not want another yoghurt, it is worth the money, Regards
    Ron and Athina
  • grho
    grho Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Only Fage and chobani are true strained greek yogurts. Other brands like dannon oikos, Cabot, and Stonyfield are thickened with added ingredients. I heard this on a segment of All Things Considered on NPR

(see the modified cornstarch in the above example)

I had tried one brand, I think it was the Dannon? when the greek yogurts started coming out because I got it free with some coupons. I thought it was so gross I couldn't finish it. When I heard that story on NPR I decided to give greek yogurt another try. I started with Chobani fruit flavored and have since decided I like the fage a little better (I eat the plain fage, have never tried plain chobani but I have some free coupons from the recall they had recently so maybe I will try plain when I go to use those and see how it compares). I would say plain yogurt is a little sour, but if you start with fruit in it and work your way to plain I think you get used to it.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I like fage the best! Plain, fat free and I add my own fruit.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    If you're in the Northeast, then check out Cabot's Plain Greek Yogurt with 10% milk fat. It is far and above any other brand I've tried. Being full fat (4% in milk netting 10%), it's the thickest and creamiest and doesn't separate like most lowfat yogurts in the large size with stabilizers do after a day or so. It's so good, I just eat it plain anymore without adding anything. It only comes in the big size, though.

Cabot is also a socially responsible co-op that distributes profits directly to the farmers.

I eat full fat everything and it hasn't had any negative effects on my weight loss. If anything, fat (like protein) fills me up so much more than carbs, so I don't get nearly as hungry and the net result ends up being less total calories per day than if I ate a lowfat diet. I can eat carbs all day and still be hungry so I need more fat and protein to balance that out and keep my total calories down.