"The problem with sugar is your problem with sugar"

Options

Replies

• mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely NO nutritional value for the body by consuming raw sugar in ANY form. I avoid it like the flu. I use stevia if I need the powder form or I use honey. LOVE LOVE LOVE honey, and I treat myself to honey from Germany. It is a lot more flavorful than ours and totally worth buying. But as for me and sugar---never never,
    Do you also avoid sex unless you are certain it will result in pregnancy?

I'm Catholic.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely NO nutritional value for the body by consuming raw sugar in ANY form. I avoid it like the flu. I use stevia if I need the powder form or I use honey. LOVE LOVE LOVE honey, and I treat myself to honey from Germany. It is a lot more flavorful than ours and totally worth buying. But as for me and sugar---never never,
    Do you also avoid sex unless you are certain it will result in pregnancy?

I'm Catholic.

I'm sorry.

Too much? My bad. I'll see myself out.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    This thread has also started me wondering where the heck I can get my hands on a piece of sugar cane.

at your local caribbean ethnic store!...you chew it up, suck the juice and spit the fibrous material out.
    It's monstrously good stuff.
    eating-sugar-cane-mmmmm.jpg

Oh, believe me, I know how wonderful it is. I just can't think of a single store down here that would carry it. I know of at least one person who grows the stuff, but I'll be darned if I can remember the name. Maybe if I corner the next West Indian or Jamaican that wanders through they'll know...

You bet they will.:laugh: Here in NY, they sell it at Western Beef (supermarket). I haven't had it since I was small but it was a helluva treat for us kids.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

you realize honey has sugar in it, right?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

...but it's natural...

...so it's chemically different...

...and doesn't count...

...because science.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

...but it's natural...

...and doesn't count...

...because science.

so let me get this straight..its naturally, chemically, different? sounds legit....kind of like lucky charms are magically delicious...?
  • Achrya
    Options

...but it's natural...

...and doesn't count...

...because science.

so let me get this straight..its naturally, chemically, different? sounds legit....kind of like lucky charms are magically delicious...?

I always pick the marshmellows out of my lucky charms. Because disgusting.

Conclusion: No, they aren't magically delicious.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

...but it's natural...

...and doesn't count...

...because science.

This is why you and I can never be friends.

I used to eat all the cereal out of my Lucky Charms so I would have a big pile of marshmallows to enjoy. The cereal was completely obligatory (because my parents would whip my *kitten* if they caught me throwing it away).

ETA: Wait a second...this is why we *should* be friends...so you can eat the cereal and I can eat the marshmallows. Win-win!
  • Achrya
    Options

...but it's natural...

...and doesn't count...

...because science.

I used to eat all the cereal out of my Lucky Charms so I would have a big pile of marshmallows to enjoy. The cereal was completely obligatory (because my parents would whip my *kitten* if they caught me throwing it away).

ETA: Wait a second...this is why we *should* be friends...so you can eat the cereal and I can eat the marshmallows. Win-win!

I like the way you think.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

...but it's natural...

...and doesn't count...

...because science.

I never liked those marshmallows, either. Does that mean I'm next to go when your FL hits 201? :-(
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Will read later! Thanks.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    How can you all not like the marshmallows?! That's the best part, the cereal is just there as a buffer because it's hard to handle that much awesome in one mouthful.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

...but it's natural...

...and doesn't count...

...because science.

I never liked those marshmallows, either. Does that mean I'm next to go when your FL hits 201? :-(

It's at 201 right now...

...but thanks to the recently-developed ALCS ("Achrya Lucky Charms Solution"), you're now a more valuable friend than ever.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

...but it's natural...

...and doesn't count...

...because science.

It's at 201 right now...

...but thanks to the recently-developed ALCS ("Achrya Lucky Charms Solution"), you're now a more valuable friend than ever.
    Phew!
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    cmeirun,
    I've seen a lot of topics posted lately regarding sugar, and thought I'd share this article I just read. It's long, but it's a very good read and provides a science- and evidence-based discussion of the carbohydrate that causes such consternation:

http://www.fitnessbaddies.com/your-problem-with-sugar-is-the-problem-with-sugar/

Enjoy, fellow sweet-toothers!

Thank you for posting.
    With all due respect, I didn't see much in the way of evidence in the blog post. The following might provide some balance:

http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/sugar/

kind regards,

Ben
  • Achrya
    Options
    How can you all not like the marshmallows?! That's the best part, the cereal is just there as a buffer because it's hard to handle that much awesome in one mouthful.

They taste like and have the texture sweetened cardboard. Blech.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

...but it's natural...

...and doesn't count...

...because science.

I did the exact same thing. Leave the best for last, I say!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    cmeirun,
    I've seen a lot of topics posted lately regarding sugar, and thought I'd share this article I just read. It's long, but it's a very good read and provides a science- and evidence-based discussion of the carbohydrate that causes such consternation:

http://www.fitnessbaddies.com/your-problem-with-sugar-is-the-problem-with-sugar/

Thank you for posting.
    With all due respect, I didn't see much in the way of evidence in the blog post. The following might provide some balance:

kind regards,

Ben

Did you read either article? The one you provided had some nice facts in it that no one here nor the original article would refute but was also lacking in any real substance. It doesn't address the original post at all. Here it is in its entirety.
    Sugar consumption alone does not appear to cause hyperactivity in children, although it obviously is not good for kids’ teeth and has been tied to the risk of diabetes. In fact, 17% of calories in the American diet come from added sugars. The gratuitous inclusion of sugar in the USDA Dietary Guidelines may be due to corporate influence (see here, here, here, here, here). Sugar and high fructose corn syrup are about equal in terms of nutritional value (which is about zero). However, high fructose corn syrup may contain mercury so sugar may be a relatively safer option. There actually are two sweeteners that have some nutrition (see also here).

The sugar in dark chocolate means cocoa powder is a better choice to reduce bad cholesterol and boost good cholesterol. Similarly, commercial cranberry juice and Cheerios have added sugar which detracts from their value as health-promoting foods. The addition of cinnamon to meats may actually blunt the blood sugar spike caused by sugary foods.

However, the bolded line was hilarious.

The sugar in dark chocolate means cocoa powder is a better choice? What does this even mean? What does the sugar in dark chocolate have to do with the cocoa powder? Were they trying to say that dark chocolate is better than milk chocolate because it has less sugar and more cocoa powder? It's hard to take an article seriously when it has such indecipherable statements like that one in it.

In closing, this added nothing to OPs article. It neither refuted it nor supported it. It was just a bunch of loosely related facts.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    cmeirun,

Thank you for posting.

kind regards,

Ben

OMG! I didn't know Robert De Niro used MFP!!!!! Hi Robert!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Also, the processed sources of sugar, such as Oreos, are actually engineered to cause a physiological addictive response (these are known as "highly palatable foods").

*kitten*!! I can never find my tinfoil hat when I need it!