Relationships v weightloss / health

Options
it seems to get mentioned within other threads quite a lot!
Did your relationship effect your lifestyle change? Or did a relationship encourage you to change?
I'm just curious to know..
Personally I'm finding my relationship feeling different (not so much in a good way) since I've changed my lifestyle and become more active and health oriented.. And it would be nice to know it's not just me!

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    tqblqbz.gif
  • bridgew24
    bridgew24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I seriously love her haha
    Mmmm I'm the opposite... I'm so much MORE self conscious in a relationship and tend to drop a stack of weight, then when I'm single again BAM feel comfortable and put on 10 kilos. haha
  • Buckeyegirlbritt
    Options
    You are not the only one. My husband and I went around and around, time and time again a year ago, as I was losing the weight. Most of it was because I was obsessed with myself making me someone I was not.

Since then, things are much better. I've learned to mellow out and not to be so strict and he's teaching me that you don't have to devote yourself 100% to working out if you just get up and move.
  • Panda_Rolls
    Panda_Rolls Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think I'm pretty lucky in that my fiance has been super supportive, he even started running with me. Just about the only time he whines is when I don't want to spend a bunch of calories drinking with him or eating a cheeseburger, but for the most part he's happy I'm becoming a healthier me.
  • bridgew24
    Options
    I think I'm pretty lucky in that my fiance has been super supportive, he even started running with me. Just about the only time he whines is when I don't want to spend a bunch of calories drinking with him or eating a cheeseburger, but for the most part he's happy I'm becoming a healthier me.

See my boyfriend is supportive... He comments on the changes I've made and my body. But he still always wants to eat out and he does no exercise. And I'm kind of finding him less appealing in not sharing my new found love of life? Eg: I'd like to go for a picnic or a walk, he'd like to watch a movie or go to dinner like we've done a million times before
    I feel horrible saying it because he's beautiful in general :\
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I met my awesome boyfriend on MFP, so right from the start we had similar goals/values when it comes to fitness/health. We motivate and push each other and have just as much fun stuffing our faces with sushi as we do going for a bike ride (okay, sushi may be slightly higher on the fun list than biking, but it's close enough :smile: )
  • cyoung0317
    Options
    In high school I started to lose weight and when I was near my goal weight I actually started dating my now fiance. I noticed that during the first 4-5 months of our relationship I was eating like a bird and I didn't want to stuff my face in front of him. You know, keep up the appearance of being a lady ;) But after 6-7 months of dating, I was so comfortable around him that I didn't mind eating that second taco or another handful of chips. It didn't help that he wasn't the healthiest eater, so a lot of times when we went out there weren't many options for me to choose from. Anyway, I gained most (if not more) of the weight back and have been working on it since.
  • bridgew24
    Options
    I met my awesome boyfriend on MFP, so right from the start we had similar goals/values when it comes to fitness/health. We motivate and push each other and have just as much fun stuffing our faces with sushi as we do going for a bike ride (okay, sushi may be slightly higher on the fun list than biking, but it's close enough :smile: )
    Oh wow that's the first I've heard of people meeting through MFP! That's amazing. :)
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is very supportive and has started to eat healthier too! He's very skinny and should actually be trying to gain weight, but together we focus on eating clean. He sometimes thinks that I spend too much time on planning my meals, cooking/preparing food, and logging my calories. He is especially understanding since I gave up dairy for health reasons and he's always willing to make the extra effort so that I don't feel left out. I also have some body image issues that he's been helpful in working through, but those issues are hurting our relationship more than my weight loss, so I just need to stay positive!
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I was always told to stop and to stop being 'obsessed' but it's very well known now to just let me be
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Oh wow that's the first I've heard of people meeting through MFP! That's amazing. :)

She beats me....
  • bridgew24
    Options
    ^ hahahaha what!!
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I got comfy and fat...Then I decided I needed to be healthy for myself so now im in the best shape of my life at the moment and still working towards my goal of the illusive 6 pack.
  • paulygi
    paulygi Posts: 58
    Options
    Mine has gotten pretty rough. I'm working with her and hopefully we make it out. Atleast for the moment I can say the weight loss has felt efortless for the last week. Going to talk to my doctor about it tomorrow.

Oh and I decided for myself that surgery wasn't the answer. That if I was willing to go through all the pre and post op junk, I could lose the weight on my own.
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Worked out great for me. My boyfriend is as much of a gym rat as I am so we go to the gym together for a few hours 5-6 times a week.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    When I was younger my weight loss efforts tended to center around relationships...gaining when they were bad then losing when single...now that I am married I am losing weight for me and my husband is very supportive of me and the weight loss is actually improving our relationship I think. He has joined MFP recently too so it is something we are doing together and also developing new hobbies together (biking, etc)
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It's not just you at all. A very significant number on here have stated that their significant other is either not supportive or downright against it.

My ex was downright against it for the longest time and I used that as my excuse. Then I just decided one day that I'm no longer allowing that and eventually she got on board.

I do wonder if women partners are more accepting in general though
  • kathim429
    kathim429 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I was doing great when I was single, in the past year, I have gotten married and now there are 4 kids between us and trying to make the time again for working out has been difficult. I am finding myself trying to snack and drink like he can, and it has shown on the scale. Time to reevaluate things. Funny how when I was a single mom I had it all worked out and now that I am in a happy relationship it has all started slipping away. UGH
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I think my fitness inspires my wife, she does a lot of the same stuff as me. But, I'm 44 and have an 11 month old son. I have always tried to be healthy for myself, but now I have a new purpose so nothing and no one will get in the way of me doing everything I can do to be around as long as possible for my son, even my spouse (not that she would, just saying). A good partner will allow you to be who you want to be.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Hasn't been a problem for my boyfriend and I. He is so supportive and loves that I'm getting fit. He goes to the gym as well and when our schedules match up we go together :)

I'm doing much bettter at the eating healthy part though lol he doesn't like staying over at my place cuz I don't have any junk food for him to snack on!