• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    This is one of my Fav Shows!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I hate this show. It's like Blackface for nerds

People who only hate this show because they don't understand the jokes. Love Bernadette!

<<< is an actual scientist.

I think I get most of the science jokes. When they manage to actually get the theories right.

PS. Schroedingers Cat means the complete opposite of what you think it means.

<-- is a considerably more experienced scientist. Love the show. I spot colleagues regularly.

And the blackface reference is a somewhat offensive stretch, for what it's worth. Yeah, not really an equivalent form of oppression we're talking about here, is it?

My mentioning of being a scientist wasn't to discredit the show, it was to highlight that yeah, I could probably understand the jokes.

I apologise if you were offended by the blackface joke. That being said I find the show very offensive to myself and others who share my profession and hobbies.

Again, these are not really entirely equivalent forms of offense.

I suspect you might need to gain a tiny bit of perspective on the world.

When you say its offensive to your profession, are you actually an academic, or a student? If the former, at 23, you must have really shot through college to get that doctorate and get into an academic job. Kudos.
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options

People who only hate this show because they don't understand the jokes. Love Bernadette!

I think I get most of the science jokes. When they manage to actually get the theories right.

someone needs to unwad her panties. it's a f\/cking tv show. calm down.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Love this show.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Long term nerd here and I love this show. My friends and I always try to figure out who is who on the show. When they were doing the WOW raid I almost died I laughed so hard . And when the girls started having the arguement over Thors hammer and the hulk (my friends and I no longer bring that up to many fights) Its one of my favorite shows
  • kgbenny
    kgbenny Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a PhD and am a research scientist. This show is hilarious to me, as I am constantly in contact with people just like the characters. I can watch it for hours.

Adding Mayim to the cast (Amy Farrah Fowler) was a genius move and has made this the funniest show on tv.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

But we don't know with certainty, do we? It could be the same…

:laugh:
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Yes to Sheldon!!!!
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I'm not a scientist by any stretch, but I am just about as big a geek as Leonard. There is nothing on this show that I find outside the realm of normalcy for my friends and I. A lot of us really are like that.

The only thing that bothers me is that Penny has been getting gradually dumber and dumber as the series goes on. She started at average intelligence and kid of started rolling backwards.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Priya

330702189600279972_5c476f06_f.jpg

Bathe her and bring her to me.
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options

<-- is a considerably more experienced scientist. Love the show. I spot colleagues regularly.

And the blackface reference is a somewhat offensive stretch, for what it's worth. Yeah, not really an equivalent form of oppression we're talking about here, is it?

My mentioning of being a scientist wasn't to discredit the show, it was to highlight that yeah, I could probably understand the jokes.

I apologise if you were offended by the blackface joke. That being said I find the show very offensive to myself and others who share my profession and hobbies.

When you say its offensive to your profession, are you actually an academic, or a student? If the former, at 23, you must have really shot through college to get that doctorate and get into an academic job. Kudos.

CHICK SCIENTISTS FIGHT!!!!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    The show is pretty funny and is an escape from the family based comedies where the dad is a moron, the mom is hot and perfect... kids are wiseasses

oh and Bernadette WOW...
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options

I have completed my bachelors and am 3/4 through my Masters. I never claimed to have a PhD.

I also don't claim that they are equivalent forms of offence. I simply made a comparison between the two, and any offence caused to you.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The only thing that bothers me is that Penny has been getting gradually dumber and dumber as the series goes on. She started at average intelligence and kid of started rolling backwards.
    I noticed that, too, and I don't like it.

The first few seasons, she didn't know the science stuff, but she was street smart. Now she's turning into just a dumb blond.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Ok Who is Hotter?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGn4JnKNcG9uEH9fcxg73SwjSJLBpfSK2PhJ-iy4GrhaCzSsyZug

Personally I prefer Penny.....

Penny FTW!!
    She's gorgeous!

Yeah, I choose both :):):)
    Ditto!
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I love Raj ! I wish he stayed with Penny.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I hate this show.

Same :/
    As a real life "nerd" (recent engineering school graduate, works as a computer programmer) I just don't get the appeal.

People can now make fun of us and perpetuate stereotypes on TV as well as in real life ^_^
  • Mutant13
    Options

Mayim Bialek has a Ph.D. in biochemistry in real life, I believe from an Ivy League university.

From my understanding she is an actress on the show, not a writer. My problem would be with them. Not her.
  • matthew67899
    matthew67899 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    YES! I'll second this. Love that girl!
    Kaley Cuoco. That is all.
  • Mutant13
    Options

Same :/
    As a real life "nerd" (recent engineering school graduate, works as a computer programmer) I just don't get the appeal.

People can now make fun of us and perpetuate stereotypes on TV as well as in real life ^_^

Exactly. These aren't jokes for nerds. They're jokes about us.
    Using a one dimensional 'nerdy' character as a mouthpiece for crappy bulky jokes doesn't make it any less offensive