Relationships v weightloss / health

Options

Replies

• lindsaymouse
    Options
    Before I met my boyfriend, I had basically given up caring about how I looked, because I felt like no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't compare to other women in any way. When we met, he made me feel so beautiful as the wreck that I was that I felt like I DESERVED to look good, and so I ended up losing 35 lbs, starting wearing a little bit of make up, eating healthier, just generally caring about myself more. It's amazing what a little bit of confidence and positive reinforcement can do for you. I definitely did it for myself AND him, and that was a good feeling. He still motivates me to this day just by little things, like telling me I look beautiful straight out of the shower as much as after I've spent an hour frou frou-ing myself up :).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, no. What I eat and that I exercise has never really made a difference in my relationship.

We have different interests and some of the same interests and we interact accordingly.

I think when this kind of lifestyle change affects a relationship there's something deeper going on, good or bad.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I pursue running & fitness and my husband perfects his home brewing of craft beer. We are 2 different people with 2 different sets of interests. But, we are undeniably 100% comitted to each other and we cheer each other on. I do things that are in line with his hobby (ie beer paring dinners, craft beer themed events...and there are TONS of them!!) and he supports my racing and training schedule. We are going to DC in just over 2 weeks so I can run my first full marathon. We support each other, we don't have to be exactly alike.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I have lost the weight since being married but it was my own choice to be healthy on the other hand my husband eats unhealthy, smokes and only works out when he has to so yes it has at times caused a strain on us. It makes him feel not so good when people say things like man how did someone like you land someone like her but we all make our choices some choose to be healthy and some don't.
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I met my awesome boyfriend on MFP, so right from the start we had similar goals/values when it comes to fitness/health. We motivate and push each other and have just as much fun stuffing our faces with sushi as we do going for a bike ride (okay, sushi may be slightly higher on the fun list than biking, but it's close enough :smile: )
    Oh wow that's the first I've heard of people meeting through MFP! That's amazing. :)

She beats me....

Don't listen to him...he's just being silly

Now who let you out of the basement!?
  • wendyg311
    wendyg311 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have a pattern of being in awesome shape while NOT in a serious relationship, but then when I am in one, I blow up like a balloon. ?? I feel like a fraud now because when I met my husband I was 135. Almost immediately I started to pack on the weight.
    Now I am 200 in only 2 years. He is the greatest man in the world to me and encourages me. I am so self conscious in front of my own husband, but he reassures me and supports me all the time.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    This is a tough one. When I'm in a bad relationship, I gain weight. My last one before my now current one was terrible, and the breakup was terrible. When I got out of it, I joined MFP and started working out. Now I'm so into it, I can't imagine what I was thinking before - my workout time is so precious to me now. Fortunately, I met my now boyfriend on here and he is extremely supportive of my fitness.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I met my awesome boyfriend on MFP, so right from the start we had similar goals/values when it comes to fitness/health. We motivate and push each other and have just as much fun stuffing our faces with sushi as we do going for a bike ride (okay, sushi may be slightly higher on the fun list than biking, but it's close enough :smile: )
    Oh wow that's the first I've heard of people meeting through MFP! That's amazing. :)

She beats me....

Don't listen to him...he's just being silly

Now who let you out of the basement!?

Olivia_help_me.gif
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have a pattern of being in awesome shape while NOT in a serious relationship, but then when I am in one, I blow up like a balloon. ?? I feel like a fraud now because when I met my husband I was 135. Almost immediately I started to pack on the weight.
    Now I am 200 in only 2 years. He is the greatest man in the world to me and encourages me. I am so self conscious in front of my own husband, but he reassures me and supports me all the time.
    Pretty common. They've actually done studies on it.

Women will tend to try to match the men in their lives in how much they eat, but it's more than we need (less muscle mass, smaller). You also tend, especially in the honeymoon stages, to eat out a lot and choose cuddling time over exercise.

it's one of those things when you get ni to a new relationhsip yo uhave to be aware of and NOT do, but until you are aware it's even a thing, you don't think about it. I gained when I moved in with my SO. If we ever split up and I start another new relationship, thankfully I'm now aware of that happening and will do my best to keep it in check! Though at this point, I probably won't ever be in that situation again.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Nope I got worse. I come home and I have the choice between spending time with him or exercising, so I spend the time with him. And he like to eat bad things, and sleep schedule is way off :( Wish I could come up with a way to make both aspects of my life work in harmony.
  • rockstar2b66
    Options
    When I was with my ex fiance' it was nothing but a rollercoaster for me and my weight. It was super hard keeping my weight down because all he wanted to do was go out to eat and not the healthiest places either. All he would eat was junk and greasy foods and would pressure me all the time to eat it with him. This guy had a great metabolism without working out so he really didn't get how hard it was for females to stay fit. On top of eating so bad, he had a bad heart and high blood pressure, so I can't imagine what all the burgers and fries were doing to that. When I finally put my foot down for myself, things started getting rocky. I think it's all about finding someone who shares the same lifestyle choices as you do. When you want to cook healthy and workout and your partner doesn't want to eat anything but McDonalds, it clashes and it's hard.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    It has put some complexity into mine and my husband's relationship, but more than anything I think we have become stronger individuals and as a team too. We were already pretty fit and active people (but I noticed that with recent hormonal changes and basically doing the same routine I had gained some fat), so it was a bit hard to grasp and understand the additional effort that I was putting into it.

Initially, it put a strain on things because I was so excited about my weight/fat loss and finally finding something that I enjoyed, that it took a little while to balance everything else in my life with it. Plus, I was grossly undereating and that made me tired and cranky. But we did talk through things (because that's what husbands and wives do), and like I mentioned in another thread, my birthday gifts in June from him were all fitness related. A month later, he had something of an epiphany when he couldn't complete one of my circuit training DVDs, but he was throwing a 6'3" frame around doing burpees and lunges (as opposed to me is hard doing the same with a 5'1" frame). Now we have a shared interest/passion in fitness and weight loss and I'm incredibly proud of him for how far he has come in a short period of time.

Frankly, I still tend to talk a lot about how I'm progressing with my lifts, and I have probably spent more money on cute sports bras and a squat rack but for all our intents and purposes fitness and health IS a factor in our relationship and we have learned to give it it's due worth.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I was always told to stop and to stop being 'obsessed' but it's very well known now to just let me be

I think when someone start dating someone that is big into fitness then they need to realise that working out is part of who that person is and if they cannot accept that then they need to move on. Do not let anybody try to talk you out of working out just to spend more time with them when the working out was there before them.
  • Prismapencils
    Options
    I think I'm pretty lucky in that my fiance has been super supportive, he even started running with me. Just about the only time he whines is when I don't want to spend a bunch of calories drinking with him or eating a cheeseburger, but for the most part he's happy I'm becoming a healthier me.

See my boyfriend is supportive... He comments on the changes I've made and my body. But he still always wants to eat out and he does no exercise. And I'm kind of finding him less appealing in not sharing my new found love of life? Eg: I'd like to go for a picnic or a walk, he'd like to watch a movie or go to dinner like we've done a million times before
    I feel horrible saying it because he's beautiful in general :\

Hahah. We are in the same boat.
  • calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I pursue running & fitness and my husband perfects his home brewing of craft beer. We are 2 different people with 2 different sets of interests. But, we are undeniably 100% comitted to each other and we cheer each other on. I do things that are in line with his hobby (ie beer paring dinners, craft beer themed events...and there are TONS of them!!) and he supports my racing and training schedule. We are going to DC in just over 2 weeks so I can run my first full marathon. We support each other, we don't have to be exactly alike.

Welcome to my neck of the woods. :)
  • MrsG2
    MrsG2 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Welcome to my neck of the woods. :)

Mine, too. We have divided interests and we encourage each other equally. We are able to be individuals in our relationship. I've always been heavy and just got heavier after getting married. I'm now below my weight when we started dating and my husband has been completely awesome...cheering me on every day. No matter my weight, he's always been loving, kind and supportive. Now, I feel better about myself and know that he's sincerely proud of my efforts and accomplishments...which makes me feel incredibly loved!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My husband is a very active person, which keeps me active. Had I married someone else I'd probably be more sedentary and maybe heavier.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My bf chills me out... Yesterday he got snarky with me since I woudn't eat my mom's birthday cake since I didn't know how to log it and didn't feel like estimating and waited till I got home and made myself a 321 mug cake.. He told me that I should have just made it work with my "calorie thingy". He was probably right.
  • tanashai
    tanashai Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, no. I've heard many a horror story, but our relationship is actually getting better because hubby jumped on board the health train a couple months after I did and once he did, his mood (in general) improved, his confidence got better and... well, bedtime has been.... interesting :smokin: Perhaps if I had done this a few years ago there could have been more problems since it would have stressed me out more, but not at this point as far as I know, lol
  • bridgew24
    bridgew24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

See my boyfriend is supportive... He comments on the changes I've made and my body. But he still always wants to eat out and he does no exercise. And I'm kind of finding him less appealing in not sharing my new found love of life? Eg: I'd like to go for a picnic or a walk, he'd like to watch a movie or go to dinner like we've done a million times before
    I feel horrible saying it because he's beautiful in general :\

Hahah. We are in the same boat.

Ah good to know!
    I've read all the responses on here and it's great to see so many supportive couples who work together. :)
    Interesting that a few have mentioned craft beers, probably my boyfriends only real interest. haha It'd just be nice if he was being passionate about something while I'm passionate about my health if he can't get on board with that one? We're meant to live together next year and I just see myself digressing a lot with his current habit of work, sleep and pig out. :\