Big Bang Theory

Options

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    it's just a sitcom.

the ones who are offended are reading too much into it.

the guy behind this show is just following the same formula as his others shows, the only difference is that this show is set in and around CalTech.

it's still got all of the usual annoying Chuck Lorre characters and poop jokes and sex jokes and relationship jokes, etc. it just happens to use common stereotypes about "nerds" to set up these situations.

i have a couple of engineering degrees. the show doesn't offend me, although to be honest, most of the clever humor in the show comes from Howard and Raj.
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I love Big Bang Theory. Probably one of my favorite shows on TV right now.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    it's just a sitcom.

the ones who are offended are reading too much into it.

the guy behind this show is just following the same formula as his others shows, the only difference is that this show is set in and around CalTech.

it's still got all of the usual annoying Chuck Lorre characters and poop jokes and sex jokes and relationship jokes, etc. it just happens to use common stereotypes about "nerds" to set up these situations.

i have a couple of engineering degrees. the show doesn't offend me, although to be honest, most of the humor in the show comes from Howard and Raj.
    Oh yeah. Totally forgot it was a Chuck Lorre show. Anyone who expects anything other than this from him has never watched anything else he's done.

Dharma and Greg, 2 1/2 Men, Cybill, Roseanne.

It may not be the most complex humor, but it makes me laugh and I like the characters.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options

Please tell me, specifically, how the show is written that is so offensive. Because from what you've posted in this thread, I don't believe you've ever sat through an entire episode.

Stand back, ma'am. She's a scientist!

There's no need to be patronising. It doesn't look good on grown ups.

The show treats nerd culture with little to no respect. It will make a reference to the main characters for example, playing D&D- and treats us as though we should laugh at that. It isn't a joke about tabletop gaming. It's a joke about the people who participate in it.

The male characters are shown to be completely incapable of handling themselves around females. They become mute or act ridiculous. The female characters are shown as aimless and ditsy or if they are shown as being intelligent they are also portrayed as being sexless or socially dysfunctional.

It's not a show that wants the audience to laugh about being PART of the culture. It wants us to laugh AT it
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I hate this show. It's like Blackface for nerds

Your comment was so damn ignorant! How dear you compare this show to BLACKFACE? seriously? You need to go to school and read a little bit before you start making ignorant comments like the one you just made!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The only thing that bothers me is that Penny has been getting gradually dumber and dumber as the series goes on. She started at average intelligence and kid of started rolling backwards.
    I noticed that, too, and I don't like it.

The first few seasons, she didn't know the science stuff, but she was street smart. Now she's turning into just a dumb blond.

That's interesting! We always seem to see things differently. I was thinking that since she has been hanging with the guys, she has learned quite a bit. However, in considering the episode where she did the history paper on slavery, I have to admit you have a valid point, RML.
  • rml_16
    Options

Please tell me, specifically, how the show is written that is so offensive. Because from what you've posted in this thread, I don't believe you've ever sat through an entire episode.

The show treats nerd culture with little to no respect. It will make a reference to the main characters for example, playing D&D- and treats us as though we should laugh at that. It isn't a joke about tabletop gaming. It's a joke about the people who participate in it.

The male characters are shown to be completely incapable of handling themselves around females. They become mute or act ridiculous. The female characters are shown as aimless and ditsy or if they are shown as being intelligent they are also portrayed as being sexless or socially dysfunctional.

It's not a show that wants the audience to laugh about being PART of the culture. It wants us to laugh AT it
    I was correct. You've never actually watched it.

Either that, or you have no comprehension.
  • rml_16
    Options
    The only thing that bothers me is that Penny has been getting gradually dumber and dumber as the series goes on. She started at average intelligence and kid of started rolling backwards.
    I noticed that, too, and I don't like it.

The first few seasons, she didn't know the science stuff, but she was street smart. Now she's turning into just a dumb blond.

That's interesting! We always seem to see things differently. I was thinking that since she has been hanging with the guys, she has learned quite a bit. However, in considering the episode where she did the history paper on slavery, I have to admit you have a valid point, RML.
    Also the one with Bob Newhart. She came off so ridiculously dumb in that one, even when he explained things really well. Yet she understood things Sheldon taught her when she was trying to learn some physics when she first dated Leonard.

And we don't ALWAYS see things differently! :wink:
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options

Your comment was so damn ignorant! How dear you compare this show to BLACKFACE? seriously? You need to go to school and read a little bit before you start making ignorant comments like the one you just made!

BAM! Thank you sir for chiming in.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

I think I see the problem. That was a LOUDLY telegraphed joke, drawing on a cultural reference. I wasn't patronising you, and I'm a bit surprised you'd think I was.

Did the bypass surgery hurt a lot?

(And yups, you haven't watched the programme much at all, either.)
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Howard's Mom

I would love to see what she looks like!! LOL

She's the new "Wilson" from Home Improvement :wink:
  • Nikusz
    Nikusz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I still miss Leslie Winkle
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Sorry... but my DH is a nerd... I'm talking MIT grad with two degrees... and he likes this show. He will match the characters with people he knows.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm also not a big fan. I have gone to school and worked with people like that for 15 years. I'm not offended by it, it's just not funny. Sheldon is a little funny but he's mainly annoying, seriously if you knew him in real life you'd be annoyed and I have known versions of him in real life. The other 3 are just normal to me.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't see the show as saying, "look at the nerds playing D&D, let's laugh at them." For the most part, D&D or WoW or the comic book shop is used more as a prop, something going on in the background, not the joke or the punchline. It's used the same way another show might have someone chopping vegetables or sorting laundry or buying groceries or at the kid's soccer game. I like that about it... I can relate to it.

Besides, everyone I know who plays D&D knows it's dorky and laughs about it themselves.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options

Leonard is very smart and caring most of the time, but has a selfish side and started as being inexperienced at relationships. He's grown quite a bit better at them.

Sheldon is awkward around men and women equally.

Howard has grown to become a loving husband and is willing to stand up for himself.

Raj has completely overcome his inability to speak to women and is the most sensitive and sweet character on TV.

Penny has learned that she has her own self worth and doesn't need to dumb herself down for the guys she used to like.

Amy has learned what it takes to be a good friend and is much less awkward than she used to be. She would be a lot more sexual if she could get Sheldon to cooperate.

Bernadette has let go of a lot of her controlling tendencies and can compromise with Howard now (playing games excluded). She's plenty sexual.

Seriously, have you watched the show since halfway through season 1?
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    soft kitty warm kitty little ball of fur! Does that answer your question?
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purrrr.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purrrr.
    Injured and drugged is a kind of sick.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I love Bernie!!!!