1200 Calorie Diet???? Seriously???

Options

Replies

• recover_healthy_fit
    recover_healthy_fit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    yawn.

then why come here? just read the title and move on...
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Water all day long eh...I drink when I am thirsty...too much water isn't good either.

Well, let's get this silly thing out of the way.

I know it's all the rage on these forums to say how there's no such thing as too much sugar, fat, and how all the "cool kids" have a pint of B&J's each night, but now water can be bad?

Just like everyone here says we don't need cleanses, since our body can handle it, we certainly don't need to worry about drinking too much water. That's why we urinate.

Show me an example where some non-ridiculous (e.g. a gallon in few minutes) amount of water was actually harmful to an individual. Note: Bear in mind that replacing water with the diet sodas everyone here seems to love would be just as "bad" for you as the pure stuff.

Drinking water is a good thing, and not some hippie conspiracy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12053855

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1770067/

"All of these cases are associated with more than 5 L (usually 10-20 L) of water intake during a period of a few hours."

Thanks for proving my point.

It's funny. When someone mentions ice cream is "bad" for you, all the choir here preach about "moderation."

When someone says water is good for you, you get those discussing drinking unreal amounts (not very moderate, eh?).

Oh yeah, and make sure you post those links the next time everyone mentions how "good" diet sodas are, since that amount of them would also cause "water intoxication."
    Drinking too much water can throw off your electrolite balance. This is a scientific fact. I have gotten sick and light-headed from too much water over the course of a day.

I drink plenty of water and feel fine. My authority is just as good as yours.

Hint: Neither of us has any.
    All that means is you haven't drunk enough at a time to throw off your electrolites. It doesn't mean you can blanketly say, "Water is harmless, Drink tons and tons of it."

Look, I'm about to let you have the last word, since you folks seem to get off on that (regardless of how much you know).

Moderation, remember?
    No one said "drink tons and tons of it."

At least use valid arguments.
  • llbennett74
    llbennett74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I tried upping my calories with the whole eat more weigh less theory. Didn't work for me. I'm short and 1200 seems to be working out better.
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    Water all day long eh...I drink when I am thirsty...too much water isn't good either.

I know it's all the rage on these forums to say how there's no such thing as too much sugar, fat, and how all the "cool kids" have a pint of B&J's each night, but now water can be bad?

Just like everyone here says we don't need cleanses, since our body can handle it, we certainly don't need to worry about drinking too much water. That's why we urinate.

Show me an example where some non-ridiculous (e.g. a gallon in few minutes) amount of water was actually harmful to an individual. Note: Bear in mind that replacing water with the diet sodas everyone here seems to love would be just as "bad" for you as the pure stuff.

Drinking water IS a good thing, but my stupid friend with vein issues in his leg was drinking gallons of water a day and couldn't figure out why his legs were still swollen. Too much water.
  • theredfro
    theredfro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    All this thread proves is that while science has a certain influence, it all comes down to what works for the individual being and gets them the results they want.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this thread turned into a "water is bad for you" argument.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1300 calorie diet and it's fine. Do I wish I could eat more sometimes? Sure, and sometimes I go over. I use it as a good guideline and base, and I pretty much always eat back my exercise calories.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Controversy over drinking water??? Someone needs a life.

OP - welcome to MFP. I read your profile and if you are thinking this may be a good place to evangelize and spread the good word about health and end obesity, you may be sadly disappointed. But you got a nice slice of what you can expect. But nice start, you manage to piss off the 1200's, the eat whatever you want (LOVE the cool kids B&J reference), clean vs. not clean, now we are just missing the I love - I hate sugar/carbo folks.

Good luck.
  • phw426
    phw426 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think saying a 1200 calorie diet is starving is a bit of a broad statement. I am only 5'1. I can not eat as much as someone who is 5'10 and lose weight. I do fine eating 1200 calories and my exercise calories.

This
    And for men the calorie intake is so much higher as well....
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to 1200 calories a day, then I find myself in deep trouble after a six pack of Sam Adams, and a few shots of bourbon. What to do?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    -Start every day with an 8oz. glass of lemon water
    -Monitor your portions- you should be eating small portion meals throughout the day rather than one, two or three large portioned meals a day
    -Drink water, all day long
    -Focus on lean proteins like chicken, turkey, salmon etc. and I don't mean processed cold-cuts...
    -Focus on eating fresh vegetables, steamed when possible
    -Limit unnecessary condiments i.e. mayonnaise, oils, salt etc.
    -Limit, but don't restrict carbohydrates. Complex carbs are needed by your body
    -Dairy is ok but in limited portions and should be kept to low fat dairy. Greek yogurt is a good choice.
    -Fresh fruit should be kept to 1 or 2 pieces a day. Its high in sugar and you should be limiting your sugar

Steamed vegetables, lean meats, low fat dairy AND limit oils? A low fat diet is an easy way to lower calories, but that doesn't make it the healthiest way. Our bodies need fat. And it tastes good.

The rest of this is just a bunch of personal preferences.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    9 times out of 10 when you see someone claiming that MFP has them on a 1200 calorie diet, it's because they are already close to being within the healthy weight range and incorrectly put 2 lb per week weight loss as their goal. Only someone who is overweight to the point of being obese (or close to it) can safely and consistently maintain the kind of deficit needed to see that kind of loss.

Actually, the 1300 calorie count came from TDEE and BMR calculations that someone on here walked me through. I'm a desk jockey so, unless I exercise, I get no physical activity all day. It makes sense that my base would be low.
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    I was with you up until your rules to live by......

Eat as many fruits and veggies as you like!!!! People don't eat them enough, why the heck are you telling them to restrict fruit?

Just eat REAL food, y'all! And get up and get moving around! That's all it takes to be healthy.

If you just want to be skinny and don't care about health, then eat Mcd's every day or whatever your preference as long as you're in a calorie deficit then you're going to lose weight. Law of Conservation, anyone? http://lawofconservationofenergy.com/
  • colie1986
    colie1986 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person who stated that everyone is different. I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia in July 2011. I went to see a dietician to learn what I need to do in order for my body not to go through these attacks and while I was there told her I would like to lose weight. I am 5' 1/4" tall. She gave me a 1200 calorie a day diet and to eat at least 45 proteins a day and more if possible. She told me what my to not go over as far as carbs, etc. She put me on 6 meals a day... 3 meals... 3 snacks and how much carbs total for each. Once I reach where I wanted she was going to have me up my calories. I did really great for a while, but I am a sweet-a-holic and fell off the wagon. I've recently started using her advice again.

I guess what I am saying is that not everyone is made the same. Age, height, sex, body type are all factors including exercise in how many calories. I'm sticking with what my dietician told me and I'm getting plenty. I do go over some but I'm not a dieter so this is gonna be a slow change for me to start eating right.

Good luck everyone! Don't get discouraged! :)
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    Controversy over drinking water??? Someone needs a life.

OP - welcome to MFP. I read your profile and if you are thinking this may be a good place to evangelize and spread the good word about health and end obesity, you may be sadly disappointed. But you got a nice slice of what you can expect. But nice start, you manage to piss off the 1200's, the eat whatever you want (LOVE the cool kids B&J reference), clean vs. not clean, now we are just missing the I love - I hate sugar/carbo folks.

Good luck.

Why so angry?

ETA: Can't we all just get along? lol
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I didn't say it was bad but you don't "have" to drink it all day long...get what you need and be done with it...no point in drinking it just for the sake of drinking it...I drink water everyday about 8-10cups...unless I am working out but that being said I don't always measure it...I can tell..by the urine in the toilet.

as for an example of when it's bad fine...

Yale university sites "Water intoxication mostly occurs when water is being consumed in a high quantity without giving the body the proper nutrients it needs to be healthy." "...in situations such long bouts of intensive exercise during which electrolytes are not properly replenished, yet huge amounts of fluid are still consumed."

Too much of anything is not good for you period.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    1. You do not need to "eat clean." (you can eat a variety of foods, lose weight, and meet nutritional needs)
    2. Drink the lemon water if you like the taste, but it will do nothing for weight loss.
    3. Meal timing is personal preference.
    4. You can eat lunch meat and still lose weight. (and be healthy)
    5. You do not have to limit condiments. (if it fits into your day, go for it.)
    6. You do not have to limit dairy. (unless you have a medical reason)
    7. You do not have to limit fruit. (fruit has numerous nutritional benefits)
    8. The only reason somebody should be restricting sugar is because of a medical reason. (sugar is carb, so track that.)
    These all sound great! For you. cheers!:drinker:
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    9 times out of 10 when you see someone claiming that MFP has them on a 1200 calorie diet, it's because they are already close to being within the healthy weight range and incorrectly put 2 lb per week weight loss as their goal. Only someone who is overweight to the point of being obese (or close to it) can safely and consistently maintain the kind of deficit needed to see that kind of loss.

I am not "claiming" that MFP put me on a 1200 calorie goal... I am stating that it did. I have a 30 pound weight loss goal and for my height and whatever factors MFP took into account, I was suggested a 1200 Calorie/day plan. I love how you just assume people are either lying or they are too stupid to enter the correct data. Well done.

This is true - it doesn't matter what 'weight loss goal' I enter, whether it be 2lbs a week or 0.5lbs a week - MFP gives me 1200 or 1250cals a day. I exercise pretty much every day and I eat back a portion of those calories and aim to hit 1200 NET a day. I don't find myself starving ever and get 3 good meals and snacks for that allowance and am losing a steady 1lb a week. When I started I had 37lbs to lose, I have lost 10.5lbs so far.