Morbidly obese, Really??

Options
13»

Replies

• DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Your guy should have just laughed in the doctors face. He looks great! I don't take a lot of what doctors say seriously and they often don't know a lot about fitness and nutrition. Not all are like this but many that I have come across are. I had one doctor prescribe iron drops for my infant son only because I was nursing him. And he didn't even give him an iron test. That went in the trash. But that's besides the point. He looks great!
  • frommetobetterme
    frommetobetterme Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the doctor just looked at the BMI chart and made an uneducated statement. Did he tell your guy that he was obese and leave it at that, or tell him he was obese according to the chart but explain that it doesn't apply in certain situations?

I am not in the medical field, but I would think that since your guy is so muscular and this was a yearly checkup type thing, he should have been asking him about his diet and lifestyle, screen for things that put him at risk for heart disease, for conditions that men are prone like prostate issues etc, maybe do some blood work...

But if he declared with no preamble and no explanation at the end, then the doctor isn't good.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    His doctor needs to see an eye-doctor.

I was thinking this too... blind doctors probably shouldn't be giving health advice.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Send his doctor here so we can eviscerate him.
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I don't know about morbidly obese, but it looks to me like he lacks focus. He should get that checked out or he won't accomplish his goals.

Haha! Yes, I was disappointed myself. It's hard to really tell just how fit he is. LOL!

LOL!! He's actually very fit. And has no problem at all with focus. This one is a bit older but is a better shot : )

13369_1289051465423_6354409_n.jpg
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Hahaha...yeah, any doctor would say that he is considered morbidly obese. Like the other folks said, it's just related to height, weight, age, and gender. That's it! It doesn't take muscle, or boobs for that matter, into consideration. You could be skinny as a rail, with DD's, and throw everything way off. :laugh: :wink: Yeah, I don't have that problem. Lol.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    That is why the whole BMI thing is silly!
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I genuinely believe that people who tag bodybuilders with low body fat as "morbidly obese" are verifiable fools. These people are innately suited to be bureaucrats or paper pushers at the DMV.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Otherwise, it's a pretty good scale.
    Have to disagree there. Maybe it's a height thing, but I looked obese at the upper end of a healthy BMI and slightly fat at a BMI of 23. My doctor may have chosen an outdated 19th century formula over the visual evidence but excess adipose tissue is a big health risk for apple - shaped bodies.

Rather than rely on BMI and ignore the genetic outliers, it would be much more productive to encourage healthy habits that favor a lean body composition.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Hahaha...yeah, any doctor would say that he is considered morbidly obese. Like the other folks said, it's just related to height, weight, age, and gender. That's it! It doesn't take muscle, or boobs for that matter, into consideration. You could be skinny as a rail, with DD's, and throw everything way off. :laugh: :wink: Yeah, I don't have that problem. Lol.
    Again, age and gender have NOTHING to do with BMI. Height and weight only.

Always funny to me when people criticize something without having a clue what it actually is.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Otherwise, it's a pretty good scale.
    Have to disagree there. Maybe it's a height thing, but I looked obese at the upper end of a healthy BMI and slightly fat at a BMI of 23. My doctor may have chosen an outdated 19th century formula over the visual evidence but excess adipose tissue is a big health risk for apple - shaped bodies.

Rather than rely on BMI and ignore the genetic outliers, it would be much more productive to encourage healthy habits that favor a lean body composition.
    A BMI of 23 is still at the upper end of the scale. Normal BMI is between 18.5 and 25. Some people belong closer to 19, others belong closer to 25, and genetic outliers belong outside the curve, but those are mostly rare exceptions.