1200 Calorie Diet???? Seriously???

Options

Replies

• Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I am 4' 10 1/2 and was at 1700 but I think that is too much with me still having like 40 plus lbs to lose.
    Everyone is different. I tried upping my calories with the whole eat more weigh less theory. Didn't work for me. I'm short and 1200 seems to be working out better.
  • insertcoinshere
    insertcoinshere Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You meant well buddy.. you meant well.

^^^This right here^^^
    All the poor guy was trying to do was help. Maybe give some advice. Because really, isn't that why we are all here? Right......unless it's advice that no one wants to hear, then everyone gets mean. Cut the guy a break.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to this forum and am really surprised at how many people on here are starving themselves to lose weight. Weight loss is not a sprint its a marathon. Its something that should happen over time, not within a few weeks. Weight loss is more than just limiting your caloric intake. Its a combination of eating clean and healthy ( I hate the word diet) and exercising on a daily basis. Starving yourself is not a healthy way to lose weight and by limiting your caloric intake to 1200 or so calories is doing just that. Not only is it unhealthy, but its a process that you will never stick to because its not natural and uncomfortable to do. So lets be serious and talk about how to lose weight realistically.

I would first ask yourself, "why do I want to lose weight?' Is it for appearance? Is it to be more healthy? Is it to be able to make it up that flight of steps without getting tired? Once you understand your own reasoning you can then move forward and begin your weight loss journey, because after all that's what it should be, a journey not a short trip. Once you've realized your goal and the reason for it you need to make the biggest decision of all, and that's to commit to yourself and commit to achieving your goal of losing weight and living a healthier lifestyle.

So now you've made the decision to put your health first; now what? Lets start with your eating habits. What do you eat? When do you eat it? and how often are you eating? Your body is a very complex machine but by following some simple rules about eating, you can have it running very efficiently. Follow these few simple rules and you'll see and feel the difference in your energy level.
    -Start every day with an 8oz. glass of lemon water
    -Monitor your portions- you should be eating small portion meals throughout the day rather than one, two or three large portioned meals a day
    -Drink water, all day long
    -Focus on lean proteins like chicken, turkey, salmon etc. and I don't mean processed cold-cuts...
    -Focus on eating fresh vegetables, steamed when possible
    -Limit unnecessary condiments i.e. mayonnaise, oils, salt etc.
    -Limit, but don't restrict carbohydrates. Complex carbs are needed by your body
    -Dairy is ok but in limited portions and should be kept to low fat dairy. Greek yogurt is a good choice.
    -Fresh fruit should be kept to 1 or 2 pieces a day. Its high in sugar and you should be limiting your sugar

This si just a guide to go by. Your food intake should be directly related to your physical activity. Exercise is key but that's a whole other topic....

And the broscience bogeyman rears his ugly head...
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Also, AGREED! :)
    Take it all with a grain of salt/rice/couscous. 1200 is totally fine for some people (myself). I'm short and petite, and honestly if you watch what you eat, you can eat A LOT for 1200 calories. 1200 calories subsisting off total crap like Special K and pre-packed protein bars, then yeah, 1200 calories a day is going to feel like starving!

Just let people decide this for themselves. It is not a starvation sentence especially if it is 1200 calories of nutrient-dense foods!
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I find it almost essential for me to cut calories down to the 1200-1300 range. I tried upping it a bit from there, and stopped losing and started gaining. You can't fight math.

It's a process of calibration, you find what number results in weight loss, you lose the weight, then you find the number that results in weight maintenance. That number isn't going to be the same for everyone.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Sorry buddy...

-Start every day with an 8oz. glass of lemon water --- You don't need lemon water to lose weight or be healthy.

-Monitor your portions- you should be eating small portion meals throughout the day rather than one, two or three large portioned meals a day --- It doesn't matter when you eat your food as long as you eat at a caloric deficit.

-Drink water, all day long --- There's no arbitrary amount of water one person needs. Drink when you're thirsty.

-Focus on lean proteins like chicken, turkey, salmon etc. and I don't mean processed cold-cuts... --- Agree, but you can have a burger once in awhile.

-Focus on eating fresh vegetables, steamed when possible --- Agree! But you can also cook them with oil and seasonings or put them in casseroles. A person doesn't just have to eat a plain veggie.

-Limit unnecessary condiments i.e. mayonnaise, oils, salt etc. --- Olive oil is great for you, and I like Mayonnaise and there's no reason to give it up. Plus, your body needs fat.

-Limit, but don't restrict carbohydrates. Complex carbs are needed by your body --- Carbs are as good or as bad as any other energy source.

-Dairy is ok but in limited portions and should be kept to low fat dairy. Greek yogurt is a good choice. --- Full fat dairy may help your body absorb more nutrients. And again, your body needs fat.

-Fresh fruit should be kept to 1 or 2 pieces a day. Its high in sugar and you should be limiting your sugar --- Unless someone is diabetic, there's no real reason to watch sugar, ESPECIALLY fruit sugars.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You meant well buddy.. you meant well.

^^^This right here^^^
    All the poor guy was trying to do was help. Maybe give some advice. Because really, isn't that why we are all here? Right......unless it's advice that no one wants to hear, then everyone gets mean. Cut the guy a break.

Yeah, especially since he's relatively new to MFP. Most people though, MFP or not, generally do not like unsolicited advice, whether it is good advice or not.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I think you need to catch up with the thread.

And, since "too much of anything is not good for you," why bring it up at all (unless it's just an attempt to discredit the "water is good for you" guy).

Anyway, time for the gym. Anyone that would argue against water being good for you isn't going to change their mind anyway.

:flowerforyou:

You need to get caught up on the science....

Why quote my thread and call part of it silly? unless it's just an attempt to discredit what I said????

and next time digest prior to posting I never said water was bad... I said too much water was bad...as did others with studies to quote and personal experienc....but of course anyone who would argue against scientific proof isn't going to change their mind anyway...:yawn:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Water all day long eh...I drink when I am thirsty...too much water isn't good either.

Well, let's get this silly thing out of the way.

I know it's all the rage on these forums to say how there's no such thing as too much sugar, fat, and how all the "cool kids" have a pint of B&J's each night, but now water can be bad?

Just like everyone here says we don't need cleanses, since our body can handle it, we certainly don't need to worry about drinking too much water. That's why we urinate.

Show me an example where some non-ridiculous (e.g. a gallon in few minutes) amount of water was actually harmful to an individual. Note: Bear in mind that replacing water with the diet sodas everyone here seems to love would be just as "bad" for you as the pure stuff.

Drinking water is a good thing, and not some hippie conspiracy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12053855

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1770067/

Hmm. I believe the OP asked for instances where water intake was not extreme[\b]
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Agree to everything you've said!! I comment on MFP friends diaries when they're eating under 1,200 and if they continue to do it, I unfriend them because that is unhealthy.

I agree with most of what you say except the fruit part, I mean, you shouldn't have a ton, but limiting consumption to 1 or 2 pieces? Perhaps if you're diabetic or on the verge, but having a few pieces of fruit throughout the day would be a good thing.

Quote: I'm fairly new to this forum and am really surprised at how many people on here are starving themselves to lose weight. Weight loss is not a sprint its a marathon. Its something that should happen over time, not within a few weeks. Weight loss is more than just limiting your caloric intake. Its a combination of eating clean and healthy ( I hate the word diet) and exercising on a daily basis. Starving yourself is not a healthy way to lose weight and by limiting your caloric intake to 1200 or so calories is doing just that. Not only is it unhealthy, but its a process that you will never stick to because its not natural and uncomfortable to do. So lets be serious and talk about how to lose weight realistically.

I would first ask yourself, "why do I want to lose weight?' Is it for appearance? Is it to be more healthy? Is it to be able to make it up that flight of steps without getting tired? Once you understand your own reasoning you can then move forward and begin your weight loss journey, because after all that's what it should be, a journey not a short trip. Once you've realized your goal and the reason for it you need to make the biggest decision of all, and that's to commit to yourself and commit to achieving your goal of losing weight and living a healthier lifestyle.

So now you've made the decision to put your health first; now what? Lets start with your eating habits. What do you eat? When do you eat it? and how often are you eating? Your body is a very complex machine but by following some simple rules about eating, you can have it running very efficiently. Follow these few simple rules and you'll see and feel the difference in your energy level.
    -Start every day with an 8oz. glass of lemon water
    -Monitor your portions- you should be eating small portion meals throughout the day rather than one, two or three large portioned meals a day
    -Drink water, all day long
    -Focus on lean proteins like chicken, turkey, salmon etc. and I don't mean processed cold-cuts...
    -Focus on eating fresh vegetables, steamed when possible
    -Limit unnecessary condiments i.e. mayonnaise, oils, salt etc.
    -Limit, but don't restrict carbohydrates. Complex carbs are needed by your body
    -Dairy is ok but in limited portions and should be kept to low fat dairy. Greek yogurt is a good choice.
    -Fresh fruit should be kept to 1 or 2 pieces a day. Its high in sugar and you should be limiting your sugar

This si just a guide to go by. Your food intake should be directly related to your physical activity. Exercise is key but that's a whole other topic....
  • Getawayfromthecake
    Getawayfromthecake Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    New dude arrives and has all the solutions starting with lemon water and low fat dairy?
    In for the lolz.

Lowfat cheese is the saddest thing in the world.
    Give me real cheese.

Goat-cheese-burger-BR.jpg
    Congratulations you just made me hungry!
  • theredfro
    theredfro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm also new to the forums here and all I've seen so far is either people endlessly posting 'add me I need friends' threads or threads where everyone is just arguing or debating over what people are trying to give as advice or claim as how 'it works'.

Then again, this is the internet.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options

^^this might be the best thing I've ever seen on the forums.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    Options
    Why even post if you're not contributing? Just curious. =) If you're bored, then why not just ignore it.
    yawn.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm also new to the forums here and all I've seen so far is either people endlessly posting 'add me I need friends' threads or threads where everyone is just arguing or debating over what people are trying to give as advice or claim as how 'it works'.

What would you like to see?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    New dude arrives and has all the solutions starting with lemon water and low fat dairy?
    In for the lolz.

Give me real cheese.

Having inappropriate thoughts about this sandwich right now.
  • TrickGirl95
    Options
    In for the lolz.

Give me real cheese.

Haha-Ditto!!:smile:
  • theredfro
    theredfro Posts: 59 Member
    Options

What would you like to see?

No idea. I'm just trying to find an environment where I can chat with like-minded people about working out.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    Options
    For sure, it's not a one size fits all and yes if it's nutritious, then that is awesome! How about people eating less than 1,200, or if they're not petite. I suppose they would feel the results of that though.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Omg you can live a long full life on 1200 calories, just because it doesn't work for you does not mean it's starving.