1200 Calorie Diet???? Seriously???

Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Why even post if you're not contributing? Just curious. =) If you're bored, then why not just ignore it.
    yawn.

I think the yawn was to point out that these kinds of threads are getting old.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm also new to the forums here and all I've seen so far is either people endlessly posting 'add me I need friends' threads or threads where everyone is just arguing or debating over what people are trying to give as advice or claim as how 'it works'.

Then again, this is the internet.
    What would you like to see?

No idea. I'm just trying to find an environment where I can chat with like-minded people about working out.

Not going to happen. There are all sorts of fad diets and "miracle" worjout routines out there that people buy into and will defend to the death and then offer really bad advice to people about.

Then there are those of us who actually understand the science behind it and are about moderation, living your life and simply moving more and eating less who try to combat the, what pepole call "bro science."

Pepole are just not going to always agree. Debate is natural and important.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Maybe to you it sounds like starving but for many people it's perfectly fine. Also it doesn't matter when you eat or how many meals you have. In fact I think I broke almost all the rules on there and got in the best shape of my life lol
  • ammadove
    ammadove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    <
    good and confused now :embarassed:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress OP. Your dietary and nutrtion philosophy is greatly flawed and needs additional work.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm also new to the forums here and all I've seen so far is either people endlessly posting 'add me I need friends' threads or threads where everyone is just arguing or debating over what people are trying to give as advice or claim as how 'it works'.

More "after" photo's with less clothing.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Why even post if you're not contributing? Just curious. =) If you're bored, then why not just ignore it.
    yawn.

I think the yawn was to point out that these kinds of threads are getting old.

Personally, I feel it is important to point out when bad advice is being given. Did I do it the best way? No. But I'm getting pretty fed up with people preaching unscientific methods, when their advice was not even solicited.

I'm going to go take my snark face off now. :blushing:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress OP. Your dietary and nutrtion philosophy is greatly flawed and needs additional work.
    THIS^
  • jak1958
    jak1958 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

No idea. I'm just trying to find an environment where I can chat with like-minded people about working out.

Amen!
  • rachelmarie1
    rachelmarie1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I think that each person's situation can be different. Im supervised by a medical doctor and a dietician. They have me on a 1000 calorie diet: breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. I stay full throughout the day, I eat fresh fruits and veggies and I prepare my other meals. I'm not loading up on a ton of carbs and I'm learning how to add more protein to my diet. I wasnt eating bad before, I just didn't know how much of carbs, proteins, and fats were supposed to be consumed (proportion wise). I'm learning and I'm seeing results. I used to grab granola bars for on the go or for snacks. And the things I ate were the similar to what I was eating before, but I'm learning little tricks to help me add more protein. I meet with the dietician weekly and my doctor once every other month. He is a bariatrician working on becoming certified through the American Board of Bariatric Medicine.

and also, any low calorie diet shouldnt be a long time thing. I believe people need to learn to eat healthy and learn how to prepare healthy meals and snacks. I buy tons of fresh fruits/veggies, whole wheat grains/breads (even my flour is unbleached), I buy leaner meats and cook everything in the healthiest way possible.
  • theredfro
    theredfro Posts: 59 Member
    Options

More "after" photo's with less clothing.

^ Ha.

I'm up for a debate as much as the next person. Sometimes I just wanna chill out and enjoy my passion/goal with others.
  • rickylou87
    rickylou87 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

1. You do not need to "eat clean." (you can eat a variety of foods, lose weight, and meet nutritional needs)
    2. Drink the lemon water if you like the taste, but it will do nothing for weight loss.
    3. Meal timing is personal preference.
    4. You can eat lunch meat and still lose weight. (and be healthy)
    5. You do not have to limit condiments. (if it fits into your day, go for it.)
    6. You do not have to limit dairy. (unless you have a medical reason)
    7. You do not have to limit fruit. (fruit has numerous nutritional benefits)
    8. The only reason somebody should be restricting sugar is because of a medical reason. (sugar is carb, so track that.)

True....ideally, as long as you stay under your RECOMMENDED (note I emphasized this because everyone needs a different amount depending on weight, height and activity) caloric intake you should lose weight. But just staying under your calories doesn't mean you are healthy. You should be eating whole foods and you should restrict your fat intake (and make sure you are eating the right fats, avocado, nuts, olive oil etc.). Dr. Oz mentions how not every calorie is created equal. You trechnically could eat 1200 calories worth of Big Macs all day every day, but let me know what your heart says about that in 10-15 years.Then you will be wishing you would have restricted your fats, condiments, and sugars.

Sidebar- I noticed that you mentioned people should only restrict these things for medical reasons...just keep in mind they can always cause that medical reason if not monitored.
  • Zakiya05
    Zakiya05 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think saying a 1200 calorie diet is starving is a bit of a broad statement. I am only 5'1. I can not eat as much as someone who is 5'10 and lose weight. I do fine eating 1200 calories and my exercise calories.

I am in the same boat as you. I am so mad because they always give you the norm calories to eat and I wish I could eat like someone of normal height. I am currently eating at 1200 net ( well trying some days it just doesn't work out) and working out because I have a few pounds to lose. However my maintance calorie content is 1450 for my height 5'2. I am nearly at my goal weight and can't wait to go up and eat 1450.

I agree with you that short have lower calorie contents, but I can't imagine being on a 1200 calorie diet for the rest of my life. It's funny because I did think an 1800 calorie diet (which I think is recommended for women) was what I should be eating, and I couldn't understand why I kept gaining weight, even eating mostly healthy things. Then it was like duh, you are short, I found a site and it gave me my ideal calorie intake to maintian 1500-1450. I will admit the 1200 calore diet is too hard for me, those extra 250- 300 alowence goes a long way, especially if you are a snacker as me.

I only lose like 1lb a month (I weigh myself monthly) following stricitly with the 1200 calorie diet, I only have 2 more poiunds to lose until I get to my goal weight of 105. I beleive I will get there around the Holidays, but since I will be eating whatever I want for the holidays, I am considereing keeping the 1200 calorie diet in between days of drinking, partying and eating to come. Wouldn't it be nice that my New Years Resolution will be to eat more, the exact opposite of what others will be doing. We will see if my stragey will work lol.
  • An8888
    An8888 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You've proven the other guy's point. He said, "Show me some non-ridiculous amounts...", and these are some pretty ridiculous amounts for the frame of time in which the water was consumed. I'm not surprised that the first link refers to the military.10 to 20 L in a few hours is pretty extreme. My brother suffered from over hydration in boot camp. They found him lying on the ground disoriented, but thankfully he came out of it okay. It's definitely something people should become more educated about. I remember several years ago, a young woman died of water intoxication during a radio show contest. Very, very sad. But these extreme cases of people downing massive amounts of water in a short period of time shouldn't detract people from drinking more water in general. Let's have perspective.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    New dude arrives and has all the solutions starting with lemon water and low fat dairy?
    In for the lolz.

Lowfat cheese is the saddest thing in the world.
    Give me real cheese.

Goat-cheese-burger-BR.jpg

i just need to bump THIS because it looks delicious
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    OP = Bygblu21 = Rob Sperruggia = "I am an Independent Beachbody Coach who enjoys helping and motivating people to live a fit and healthy life"... Anyone else shocked by this?
  • An8888
    An8888 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You've proven the other guy's point. He said, "Show me some non-ridiculous amounts...", and these are some pretty ridiculous amounts for the frame of time in which the water was consumed. I'm not surprised that the first link refers to the military.10 to 20 L in a few hours is pretty extreme. My brother suffered from over hydration in boot camp. They found him lying on the ground disoriented, but thankfully he came out of it okay. It's definitely something people should become more educated about. I remember several years ago, a young woman died of water intoxication during a radio show contest. Very, very sad. But these extreme cases of people downing massive amounts of water in a short period of time shouldn't detract people from drinking more water in general. Let's have perspective.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    1. You do not need to "eat clean." (you can eat a variety of foods, lose weight, and meet nutritional needs)
    2. Drink the lemon water if you like the taste, but it will do nothing for weight loss.
    3. Meal timing is personal preference.
    4. You can eat lunch meat and still lose weight. (and be healthy)
    5. You do not have to limit condiments. (if it fits into your day, go for it.)
    6. You do not have to limit dairy. (unless you have a medical reason)
    7. You do not have to limit fruit. (fruit has numerous nutritional benefits)
    8. The only reason somebody should be restricting sugar is because of a medical reason. (sugar is carb, so track that.)

Keep in mind that sugar* AND artificial sweeteners increase your appetite... I find it much more difficult to stay in my calorie range if I over indulge in candy or drink a diet, yes DIET soda.

*I worry less about the sugar in fruit. I read an article about how your body processes it differently because it is naturally packaged along fiber. Sorry can't find the link, So it may or may not be true, but I worry less.
  • Kirstyw871
    Kirstyw871 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Each to their own.
    Nobody should be dictating about others life choices.
    I've been doing 1200-1500 calories per day, and it works just fine for me.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    tumblr_l0w9haDEEr1qzvnxpo1_r1_500.jpg
    I wonder if this cheese is low fat.