Build muscle in a calorie deficit

Options
Hey there,
This is my first forum question. Is it possible to build muscle in a calorie deficit but keepin ur protein high (1g/lb).
Consider this question from 3 point of views
Beginner, Overweight, and advanced.
My supplements are:
Whey protein
Casein protein
BCAA for cardio sessions
fish oil
CLA
Jack3d

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Beginner: possibly
    Overweight: possibly
    Advanced: unlikely

ETA assuming 'beginner' and 'advanced' are in relation to a progressive strength training programme.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    You may gain a tiny amount in the beginning but it will be negligible, so really the answer is no.

You will however burn fat so your existing muscles will be more prominent. The only way to gain muscle is to lift heavy and eat at a small surplus.
  • MUZZAMMIL10
    Options
    I have been lifting weights on calorie deficit for the past 4 months and I have gained alot of muscle.
    My scale wont move cause I have been building muscle and losing fat simultaneously.
    Yes its not a plateau cause I checked by not lifting for 2 weeks and dropped weight.
    So I feel like this is a myth, u can build muscle on a calorie deificit!!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting weights on calorie deficit for the past 4 months and I have gained alot of muscle.
    My scale wont move cause I have been building muscle and losing fat simultaneously.
    Yes its not a plateau cause I checked by not lifting for 2 weeks and dropped weight.

No. Your scale dropped when you didn't lift because your muscles had time to recover so they retained less water.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Feel what you want, but to add muscle, you add weight. Adding weight means a calorie surplus. You've already confirmed that by not lifting you lost weight. Did you lose muscle then? All you lost was water retention since the muscle recovery process takes a good amount of it for the process. Body recomp is possible, but a LONG painstaking program.
    Seeing more muscle doesn't mean you've actually built it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

What you think you see happening is not what's actually happening.

To your original question...
    Yes, I believe it is possible, though for most people it will be painfully slow. Even if you are genetically lucky, you won't see noticeable/meaningful gains in weeks or months.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Seeing definition & fat loss =/= building muscle
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    it's possible in 4 different scenarios. And note I said possible. Even with these 4, it's more likely you're not gaining anything.

1) You're really fat

2) You're completely untrained

3) You used to be really muscular, lost it, and are trying to regain it

4) On roids.

As you can see, the above are all temporary situations that will eventually result in plateau. Once that happens, the only way you're gaining lean mass is eating above your tdee with a proper resistance training template.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    it's possible in 4 different scenarios. And note I said possible. Even with these 4, it's more likely you're not gaining anything.

1) You're really fat

4) On roids.

As you can see, the above are all temporary situations that will eventually result in plateau. Once that happens, the only way you're gaining lean mass is eating above your tdee with a proper resistance training template.

anything? or anything significant?
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options

1) You're really fat

4) On roids.

anything? or anything significant?
    the body is always in a state of flux, so saying 'anything' is prob too absolutist. Will not see anything noticeable might be better.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options

1) You're really fat

4) On roids.

It could also be the person is under estimating calorie intake.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Beginner: yes
    Overweight: yes
    Advanced: slowly
  • MUZZAMMIL10
    Options
    Feel what you want, but to add muscle, you add weight. Adding weight means a calorie surplus. You've already confirmed that by not lifting you lost weight. Did you lose muscle then? All you lost was water retention since the muscle recovery process takes a good amount of it for the process. Body recomp is possible, but a LONG painstaking program.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Wen I lost weight I saw more definition in the muscle but they where flatter cause of water loss.
    wat do u mean by Seeing more muscle doesn't mean you've actually built it.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Lifting on a deficit maintains muscle mass (as best as you can) while you lose fat. This is why the scale doesn't move, and as you are mainly losing fat while maintaining muscle mass these uncovered muscle aren't new. It what you maintained.

FYI, no chance you gained "a lot" of muscle in 4 months......calorie deficit or not.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Question is not well defined.

What is "in a deficit"? Every moment? Every day? Some days? Monthly?

Time not well defined in these sorts of questions.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

From what I learned in my serious weight lifting days I think one loses weight by eating less and spending more energy/calories ( calorie deficit ). During the phases I built muscle I had to eat more. I now wonder how it is possible to eat less for weight/ fat loss and eat more for building muscle at the same time.
    I think what you believe is muscle gain is actually muscle definition......I just can't believe that anyone would build significant muscle and lose weight/fat at the same time.....of course you are welcome to prove me wrong, but please with something more scientific than a statement of fact.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Wen I lost weight I saw more definition in the muscle but they where flatter cause of water loss.
    wat do u mean by Seeing more muscle doesn't mean you've actually built it.
    Everyone has muscles. To what degree of muscularity will depend on genetics and whether one trains with correct nutrition. Being "ripped" doesn't necessarily mean one built muscle. Going from pot belly to six pack doesn't indicate that ab size was increased.

IDEA Fitness member
  • pcastagner
    Options

From what I learned in my serious weight lifting days I think one loses weight by eating less and spending more energy/calories ( calorie deficit ). During the phases I built muscle I had to eat more. I now wonder how it is possible to eat less for weight/ fat loss and eat more for building muscle at the same time.
    I think what you believe is muscle gain is actually muscle definition......I just can't believe that anyone would build significant muscle and lose weight/fat at the same time.....of course you are welcome to prove me wrong, but please with something more scientific than a statement of fact.

If you are very fat, it's possible.

If you have muscles that just haven't been used much, they will grow. Traps is a good example. Or shoulders.

Yeah, I'm now finding I have too run a surplus after workouts to grow. But I don't have to run a surplus all week. Or every day. I don't have to stop fitting into my pants.

I'm building muscle slowly this way, but leaning out as well. All while staying in the same clothes (although shirts and jackets are getting tight up top and my thighs hold up the pants instead of the waist.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

If you have muscles that just haven't been used much, they will grow. Traps is a good example. Or shoulders.

Yeah, I'm now finding I have too run a surplus after workouts to grow. But I don't have to run a surplus all week. Or every day. I don't have to stop fitting into my pants.

I'm building muscle slowly this way, but leaning out as well. All while staying in the same clothes (although shirts and jackets are getting tight up top and my things hold up the pants instead of the waist.

Do you IF and/or carb backload?
  • pcastagner
    Options

I'm building muscle slowly this way, but leaning out as well. All while staying in the same clothes (although shirts and jackets are getting tight up top and my things hold up the pants instead of the waist.

Do you IF and/or carb backload?

I do lean gains. I try to concentrate Carbs at night, and lots of them if I have a big workout planned the next day. On surplus days I don't worry so much about protein, and try to focus on fats and carbs. On deficit days I eat lots of protein.

My post workout meals are sometimes 2000 calories.

I'm not saying the difference in gains isn't HUGE when eating at a weekly surplus. Because it is. And I'm not saying I didn't lose muscle along the way from 210 to below 160. I definitely did.

So I think a better question is: can I go from fat to lean while gaining muscle? And I think the answer is: some of your muscles might grow but by the time you lose 50 or more pounds you will not have put on and kept any significant fat free mass.