Has the Government shutdown...................

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,507 Member
affected you or someone you know personally? My DW is a civilian government worker who got to go back to work this past Monday. We're fortunate that we don't have to dig into our savings to make it now, but there are lots of people I know who will be greatly affected till it gets resolved. One isn't going to be able to pay her mortgage after being with the government 20 years.
Others I know have had to cancel sessions with me (I'll be fine because there are other members who want my services).

Opinions?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    affected you or someone you know personally? My DW is a civilian government worker who got to go back to work this past Monday. We're fortunate that we don't have to dig into our savings to make it now, but there are lots of people I know who will be greatly affected till it gets resolved. One isn't going to be able to pay her mortgage after being with the government 20 years.
    Others I know have had to cancel sessions with me (I'll be fine because there are other members who want my services).

Opinions?

Why can't she pay her mortgage? If she's been w/ the government that long shouldn't she have some savings?

We were affected the last time they had a shut down... and if they're still shut down come the first I guess we will be then if they cut into veterans benefits. I hope we still get disability and BAH because if not we'd be screwed.
  • anlu37
    anlu37 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I went hiking and the government shutdown caused the bathrooms at the trailhead to be locked! UGH! So not cool!
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

Opinions?

Why can't she pay her mortgage? If she's been w/ the government that long shouldn't she have some savings?

... I'm thinking you don't know how much government workers make. Also, a lot of people's savings are in 401ks/IRAs/other assets that are not liquid because they have a steady job and know there will be a paycheck coming. That is, unless the government gets shut down, and who expected that?

I work in mortgage and it's been pretty tough with all of the government programs we utilize, but luckily investors are making exceptions for some things. Otherwise we wouldn't be funding anything and there would be a lot of people not able to pay their bills, myself included.
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options

Opinions?

... I'm thinking you don't know how much government workers make. Also, a lot of people's savings are in 401ks/IRAs/other assets that are not liquid because they have a steady job and know there will be a paycheck coming. That is, unless the government gets shut down, and who expected that?

I work in mortgage and it's been pretty tough with all of the government programs we utilize, but luckily investors are making exceptions for some things. Otherwise we wouldn't be funding anything and there would be a lot of people not able to pay their bills, myself included.

I do know how much they make.. My husband was in the Army for quite a while. People who've been in for 20+ years do pretty well.
    edit:
    I also know that last time USAA paid all the military members a few days late since the government didn't pay out. I also know that during these times, most lenders don't tack on fees for military.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options

Sorry but anyone who doesn't have a savings or any amount of money stashed away some where that is liquid, available and accessible because "they have a steady job and know there will be a paycheck coming" is rather daft. I had a steady job and a paycheck coming and yet I still had my 401(k) and a savings account because I don't believe in living paycheck-to-paycheck (which if you have nothing saved that's what you're doing) for one and two I didn't live in a fantasy bubble where I believed "it can't happen to me" because guess what? It CAN! (Thankfully it didn't and I quit my job to start my own business but believe me that savings came in very handy when my husband struck out on his own fifteen years ago).

And Romney expected the Government shutdown. I believe he said that if Obama was reelected that people should be prepared for a Government shutdown.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I can't go hiking to the trail I had picked out...also can't get a gun permit.
    And, in the long run, I'll be screwed by the ACA. :[
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

Opinions?

I do know how much they make.. My husband was in the Army for quite a while. People who've been in for 20+ years do pretty well.
    edit:
    I also know that last time USAA paid all the military members a few days late since the government didn't pay out. I also know that during these times, most lenders don't tack on fees for military.

Military pay and civilian pay are very different. Civilian pay is capped once you reach the top tier for your grade, and if she's a lower grade then she could still be making a very moderate income, even after 20 years. And civilians don't get benefits like BAH to cover housing costs.
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options

Sorry but anyone who doesn't have a savings or any amount of money stashed away some where that is liquid, available and accessible because "they have a steady job and know there will be a paycheck coming" is rather daft. I had a steady job and a paycheck coming and yet I still had my 401(k) and a savings account because I don't believe in living paycheck-to-paycheck (which if you have nothing saved that's what you're doing) for one and two I didn't live in a fantasy bubble where I believed "it can't happen to me" because guess what? It CAN! (Thankfully it didn't and I quit my job to start my own business but believe me that savings came in very handy when my husband struck out on his own fifteen years ago).

And Romney expected the Government shutdown. I believe he said that if Obama was reelected that people should be prepared for a Government shutdown.

This exactly. Everyone should have at least 3mo pay saved up. We don't because we've been struggling after my husband UNEXPECTEDLY got out of the Army and Veterans disability benefits are a joke. If you've had a steady job for 20 years you SHOULD be able to have enough money in savings to pay your bills. I know we would have.. Shoot my husband was in the Army for 6 years.. We had 10k in savings (not as much as we wanted) and lived off that for quite a while.
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options

Opinions?

edit:

Military pay and civilian pay are very different. Civilian pay is capped once you reach the top tier for your grade, and if she's a lower grade then she could still be making a very moderate income, even after 20 years. And civilians don't get benefits like BAH to cover housing costs.

I have a friend whos husband (contracted civilian)did the same exact thing as someone in my DH's unit.. Her DH got $200,000 a year while deployed.. and My DH and his buddy got $45,000-50,000 while deployed...
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

I think this is what may have happened something "did happen" and she lost her savings. We dont know if this friend had a medical emergency recently or had some sort of other expensive life event, and she had to dig into her savings. This can happen to the even most well intention and prepared person.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

I respect you very much for having a plan, however I don't think it's fair to call those without savings daft. I had a liquid savings outside of my 401k, but that went quickly when my ex walked out on me. I was stay at home mom with no job. Luckily I was able to find a job within a month and I am not on welfare. However, becuase of circumstance I no longer have a savings. I don't have the mentality of "It's can't happen to me" becuase I do struggle every week, and I do try to put a little aside each pay check. Sometimes it lasts sometimes it doesn't. I have a plan in place for the future of my savings, but right now there are other bills my money is going towards. Does that make me daft? Not at all, it makes me appreciate having my job and it forces me to understand what is essintial to survive and what isn't.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

People should be prepared for emergencies. No savings account? Forget luxury/nice things until you have one.
    Ideally, you should have a year's take home salary in cash at a minimum.

I know that sounds impossible, but for many, it's really the difference over a few years of buying non-name brand, or skipping Starbucks.

Plenty of people I know "can't afford to save" waste $200-300 a month on coffee, donuts, video games, name brand stuff, etc.

Have lived like this my whole life. Still get to enjoy nice things.
    And when the wife was out of work for a year, we were fine.
  • TheSlorax
    Options

I never said it wasn't "daft." However, as my post indicates, I work in the mortgage industry and the majority of my clients do not have large sums of liquid reserves (and, note that I say LIQUID reserves - i.e. easily accessible) as they choose to invest in their retirement accounts or keep their money in CDs. From an investment perspective one would think it would be a better choice to have the bulk of your savings somewhere you can yield a higher return, but I digress. I don't really care to entertain that they should have expected this by listening to Romney, as someone who has been with any company for 20 years should be able to rely on some degree of job security, or if losing their income, unemployment/severance. Even a couple months' mortgage payment here in CA would wipe out many people's savings if they had no other income source to speak of.
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    I'm a registered in-home child care provider and I found at that if the shutdown is still going in November the food program that reimburses me for the children's meals each day will have to shut down. This means that if I have to pay for food out of pocket, these children won't be getting as nutritous meals. Some of these kids only get the nutritious meals at daycare smh. Also, several of the parents I provide care for are on the WIC program. One in particular doesn't qualify for food stamps b/c she makes too much, but her child is on an expensive Nutramagen forumula that is about 20 or more dollars per can. WIC helps her pay for that I know she can't afford it after the October checks are depleted. Sadly for her she could not breast feed b/c her baby has a allergy to a protein strand in milk. It's just not a good thing right now.
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options

I respect you very much for having a plan, however I don't think it's fair to call those without savings daft. I had a liquid savings outside of my 401k, but that went quickly when my ex walked out on me. I was stay at home mom with no job. Luckily I was able to find a job within a month and I am not on welfare. However, becuase of circumstance I no longer have a savings. I don't have the mentality of "It's can't happen to me" becuase I do struggle every week, and I do try to put a little aside each pay check. Sometimes it lasts sometimes it doesn't. I have a plan in place for the future of my savings, but right now there are other bills my money is going towards. Does that make me daft? Not at all, it makes me appreciate having my job and it forces me to understand what is essintial to survive and what isn't.

You're also not in your 40s and have been working the same job for 20+ years.. I'd think with 20+ years of the same job under your belt you'd have some savings...

SAHM getting walked out on =/= working for 20+yr
  • TheSlorax
    Options

People should be prepared for emergencies. No savings account? Forget luxury/nice things until you have one.

I know that sounds impossible, but for many, it's really the difference over a few years of buying non-name brand, or skipping Starbucks.

Plenty of people I know "can't afford to save" waste $200-300 a month on coffee, donuts, video games, name brand stuff, etc.

Again, I never said they DON'T have savings, just that they are not LIQUID. There is a big difference.
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options

I realized this once I became self employed that I need to build up my savings before getting a newer car. You are right that we need to have money saved up and be prepared. my savings is small but heck, at least I'm saving rather than blowing like I used to.
  • TheSlorax
    Options

Opinions?

edit:

I have a friend whos husband (contracted civilian)did the same exact thing as someone in my DH's unit.. Her DH got $200,000 a year while deployed.. and My DH and his buddy got $45,000-50,000 while deployed...

They are still being paid by the MILITARY...........
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    I'm a registered in-home child care provider at I found at that if the shutdown is still going in November the food program that reimburses me for the children's meals each day will have to shut down. This means that if I have to pay for food out of pocket, these children won't be getting as nutritous meals. Some of these kids only get the nutritious meals at daycare smh. Also, several of the parents I provide care for are on the WIC program. One in particular doesn't qualify for food stamps b/c she makes too much, but her child is on an expensive Nutramagen forumula WIC helps her pay for that I know she can't afford after the October checks are depleted. Sadly for her she could not breast feed b/c her baby has a allergy to a protein strand in milk. It's just not a good thing right now.

It's so sad all the babies that will be going hungry because of this. :(
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options

Opinions?

edit:

They are still being paid by the MILITARY...........

at 200k a year they should have no problems making a decent savings.
This discussion has been closed.