STOP COUNTING CALORIES: EAT CLEAN

Options

Replies

• Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    even though counting calories may be an effective way of losing weight, the process is very tedious. I love using myfitnesspal since i have seen good results from it . The problem i am having is how time consuming it is recording every single calorie you consume. this is a problem for me because my parents cook chinese dishes every night with many ingredients in each dish and i have to just estimate the amount of calories in each dish then record it down. This may be inaccurate too.
    I want to make a lifestyle change rather than counting calories daily. Sure this app is great if you want to lose weight quickly but maintaining weight requires you to eat clean. So i just want to make this post to ask if its okay? do u think i should start eating clean as in eating lean meat, vegetables and fruit on a daily basis rather than relying on counting calories in vegetables because obviously vegetables are good for you since they have a lot more nutrients than you can get out of any junk food. do you think this is a good choice? i still want to lose few kilograms but i am just really sick of counting calories in my meals because of the difficulty of estimating them. please help? :)

Maintaining does NOT require "clean eating"... Clean eaters can't even agree on what clean eating actually means so it is hard for me to take it seriously. I am curious as to why so many clean eaters here with open diaries use so many quick add calories. I seen quick adds upwards of 1000 calories. Not directed at you OP, just an observation and curiosity.

I have maintained for two years without eating clean and without counting and I have continued to improve my health markers. While the majority of my diet is fresh whole foods I still eat foods with lower nutritional value in moderation.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Clean eaters can't even agree on what clean eating actually means so it is hard for me to take it seriously.

haha. Maybe we will go the way of the vegetarians? Instead of agreeing on what clean eating is, we will invent different names for each type of clean eating lifestyle?? lol. I'm a Beer drinking - chocolate eating- clean eater who occasionally eats pizza and protein bars.... What would you name that?? This could be fun. lol.

oh and quick add? I see that all over peoples diaries. I think its' sheer laziness. lol
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    <~~~ hates clean food. i like my food as dirty as i can get it!
  • rosellasweet
    rosellasweet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think you shouldn't write posts if you have no idea what you're talking about....

Eating clean means nothing... I've eaten "dirty" for a straight week and still lost a few hundred grams(wasn't a big calorie deficit).

There is no such thing as clean and dirty LOL. Don't be fooled by the fitness and nutrition industry with this whole "Clean eating". The reason clean foods are considered clean is because they're more satiating. Protein takes longer to synthesize by your muscles and clean foods also have higher fibre content generally so they fill you up for longer meaning your less likely to overeat.

/rantover

Ha yes! Logging maybe takes up five minutes of my day...
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    even though counting calories may be an effective way of losing weight, the process is very tedious.

Not as tedious as trying to categorize every food on the planet as being "good/bad" or "clean/unclean."

and what category does skittles fall under? i say mostly clean / good, except for the new green apple... those fall under the bad / unclean category... ok, carry on...
    no no no green are clean as they're made of lettuce juice.
  • blondiebabe92
    blondiebabe92 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    even if you eat clean and have too many calories you will gain weight!

MODERATION BABY! Lose wight and still enjoy everything. I am sorry but I can not give up fries.I love chips, candy and cookies. I just eat correct portion size and not everyday.

It makes me more miserable if I don't enjoy these things.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I always clean my food before I eat it. :yawn:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    why does this thread keep getting re-bumped???????????????? Please just let it die!!!!
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I use MFP's bar code scanner constantly on my phone. Logging is a no-brainer for the most part.

What bothers me about the "clean eating" movement is the implication that, by definition, some foods are dirty-bad-demonic-no. This is *disordered thinking*. Notice how the definitions of clean and unclean or junk and healthy change according to the person's preferences/neuroses/personal food hangups - sometimes drastically. It's very telling. People want to blame sugar for their inability to stop overeating - sugar is the Devil. That whole tirade against gluten sounds plausible to them - gluten is now the Devil. If only they stopped eating carbs - it's all carbs' fault. Or the problem with obesity can be solved if everyone ate organic free range locally imported wild-caught grass-fed etc etc etc.

There is no food that has been scientifically and conclusively shown to have a direct causal relationship to any human disease. This is a fact. Eat however you like, but people need to stop demonizing food for making you have weight management and health problems. It's neurotic. Straight up.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    bacon grease does not agree with my tummy. Neither does a lot of processed foods. I don't like flavored coffee, or very many sugar heavy foods. I guess I grew up eating fresh picked veggies, eggs I raided the hen house for every morning and meat we raised ourselves. So i'm spoiled? I can eat pizza (i do).. but it doesn't make my tummy happy. My food is very delicious. Just because it's not high calorie and full of fat doesn't mean it's not delicious. And that's just it. You have no idea how people aren't able to reach their goals and I've assumed you've never had that problem. I do and i have. "just eat" is not helpful advice. Because I eat.. and I eat a lot. The only time i'm hungry is when I smell my delicious foods cooking.. and I can't wait to eat them.
    How did you hit your macros if you were under 300 calories? That doesn't make sense...

Well.. it makes sense or not. Before MFP added in my exercise calories I was with in a calorie or two of all of them, except calories themselves of course. I guess I eat healthy, low calorie high protein foods? idk. On track to do it again today. but today i'm close to my goal. I weight my food now so the number for dinner are subject to change.

Im saying your macro goals should add up to your calorie goal. If you're eating back exercise calories then i suppose it would work in a sliding scale if you're working off of a % basis. Wasn't trying to be mean, just didn't understand.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Clean eaters can't even agree on what clean eating actually means so it is hard for me to take it seriously.

haha. Maybe we will go the way of the vegetarians? Instead of agreeing on what clean eating is, we will invent different names for each type of clean eating lifestyle?? lol. I'm a Beer drinking - chocolate eating- clean eater who occasionally eats pizza and protein bars.... What would you name that?? This could be fun. lol.

oh and quick add? I see that all over peoples diaries. I think its' sheer laziness. lol

well I know I would call it a JoRocka!!!

because- well that's how I eat. :D

I do eat a fair bit of ice cream... but I only do pizza like once a month- and I usually go ham and eat the whole fricking thing. And now that it's october- it's totally reeses and candy corn month. I have no shame.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    bacon grease does not agree with my tummy. Neither does a lot of processed foods. I don't like flavored coffee, or very many sugar heavy foods. I guess I grew up eating fresh picked veggies, eggs I raided the hen house for every morning and meat we raised ourselves. So i'm spoiled? I can eat pizza (i do).. but it doesn't make my tummy happy. My food is very delicious. Just because it's not high calorie and full of fat doesn't mean it's not delicious. And that's just it. You have no idea how people aren't able to reach their goals and I've assumed you've never had that problem. I do and i have. "just eat" is not helpful advice. Because I eat.. and I eat a lot. The only time i'm hungry is when I smell my delicious foods cooking.. and I can't wait to eat them.
    How did you hit your macros if you were under 300 calories? That doesn't make sense...

Well.. it makes sense or not. Before MFP added in my exercise calories I was with in a calorie or two of all of them, except calories themselves of course. I guess I eat healthy, low calorie high protein foods? idk. On track to do it again today. but today i'm close to my goal. I weight my food now so the number for dinner are subject to change.

Im saying your macro goals should add up to your calorie goal. If you're eating back exercise calories then i suppose it would work in a sliding scale if you're working off of a % basis. Wasn't trying to be mean, just didn't understand.

idk. I just eat the way I want to and if i'm short on something I try to add in something that will get me there. Like peanut butter. It's usually in my diet because i need to reach my fat macro. (and it's yum) sometimes i miss the carb macro a bit too. but eh. I feel great and i've lost weight and i am not tired or lethargic and i'm able to exercise without being too tired. So it works for me. I didn't do research on my percentages. I just messed with them until I found a combo that seems to work for me. As long as I watch the foods with added sugar. I'm good.
  • oli_via1598
    Options
    I don't think that counting every last calorie is necessary. because during the day, we do different activities, meaning we burn various amounts of calories each day. Counting the a general number is beneficial in staying within a boundary, but why stress yourself out if you went 100 or 200 over?? Maybe swap calories for nutrition as well. Fresh foods that are natural are better for the body. Yes some foods may have more protein or less calories, but how much VALUE is in them?? I doubt anyone can argue that a smoothie with fruits, chia seeds, oat/almond/rice/soy/skim milk, and many other ingredients, although HIGH in calories, is somehow LESS healthy than a bowl of sugared up cereal and milk that is low in calories. What would your body prefer?
  • GameOfPounds
    GameOfPounds Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    But....eating less and not overeating is already a lifestyle change. A chocolate bar won't kill you and I think the term "clean" is very different for everyone. For example, vegans think eating meat & animal products isn't part of a clean diet. A paleo eater thinks grains and legumes as not "clean" foods. I may think that cottage cheese and fat free yogurt is clean but you may think not.

My advice; Don't obsess over foods. If you want to lose weight,try to add vegetables in your diet (low cal-high volume/nutrition) and eat all the foods you want but use portion control. And eat more of the foods that you think are healthy and less of the foods that you think are unhealthy.

By the way,excuse my english but I am not a native speaker :)
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Eat over your TDEE in carrots and you will get fat. It all comes down to calories.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Obtaining the knowledge on proper portions and eating is paramount to any healthy eating lifestyle.

This summarizes what I was going to say. Count calories until you finally *get it* and have learned to eat the right amount of food. "Clean" is a misnomer anyway.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    maintaining weight requires you to eat clean.

ROFL. What a bunch of ****.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Sure this app is great if you want to lose weight quickly but maintaining weight requires you to eat clean.

Highly incorrect...
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Sure this app is great if you want to lose weight quickly but maintaining weight requires you to eat clean.

Highly incorrect...
    Requires you to eat a well balanced diet.. Clean is a choice.. not a requirement.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    What is "eating clean"?