Options

Replies

• Kirstyw871
    Kirstyw871 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    drink more water
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    @jeffpettis Im running 7 miles daily, thats about 800 calories and eating 1,200 a day?

That's a net of 400 calories. Are you weighing your food? This intake is simply not sustainable or healthy in the long term. I highly recommend you reassessing your diet. If you're eating nuts, cooking fats, or other calorie dense foods you should be weighing them so that you're not underestimating your intake. How long have you been at this?
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I didn't believe in eating more to lose but after netting around 800 for a few months (very bad idea) I slowly upped my cals to 1400 and continued to lose weight. I think in the 2 weeks it took to increase my food intake I lost 3lbs going from 115lbs to 112lbs. Being at the lower end of a healthy weight I wasn't aiming to lose anymore but it came off anyway :)

But even though you started eating more you were still eating less than your maintenance calories and still in a calorie deficit. What most people mean when they say "eat more to lose weight" is to eat more than maintenance and the fat just magically falls off. You can't eat more than your body can use and still lose weight.
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    ..yes defecit makes you lose weight ! But the only healthy way to do so is to eat above your BMR And Below TDEE ! So I agree with here in parts with all posters .....get more accurate readings with burns and food then reevaluate your daily needs ...it's simple math :) if nothing changes in a couple weeks then yes a dr. Needed to check for other possible medical conditions that can be holding you back ! If the case was you have been eating below your bMR for a long period of time , it can be fixed over time with proper nutrition .....to restore normal function in the body ! Hope for the best for you and good luck
  • jataylorrtcp
    Options
    When you put your height n weight in make sure you put the right level of exercise in that has a big part of how they get you cal goal for the day.
  • marobirob
    marobirob Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    She's running 7 miles a day. Certainly does not need to eat more often, for metabolic purposes...
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    I didn't believe in eating more to lose but after netting around 800 for a few months (very bad idea) I slowly upped my cals to 1400 and continued to lose weight. I think in the 2 weeks it took to increase my food intake I lost 3lbs going from 115lbs to 112lbs. Being at the lower end of a healthy weight I wasn't aiming to lose anymore but it came off anyway :)

But even though you started eating more you were still eating less than your maintenance calories and still in a calorie deficit. What most people mean when they say "eat more to lose weight" is to eat more than maintenance and the fat just magically falls off. You can't eat more than your body can use and still lose weight.

That is absolutely NOT what proponents of "eat more to lose weight" believe. From the eat more 2 weigh less website... "Any deficit will produce a loss! Problems arise when the deficit is substantial. The key to success is losing the weight with a small deficit, which allows all things in moderation. This is the core of the EM2WL philosophy. "

http://eatmore2weighless.com/about-em2wl/
  • marobirob
    marobirob Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There are several things you can look at. I didn't read all the comments. I read until I realized you weren't getting what you needed.

There are several factors that lead to not being able to pass walls.

1st order of business is your work out needs to change. If your body gets used to the 7 mile a day motion; you need to modify your workout to shock the body. You can still run if that's what you like to do but you should try something new like interval training. You can still run 7 miles, but now you're going to run for 5 minutes at a faster pace than normal.....walk for 60 seconds while trying to lower your heart rate during the 60 seconds....then run again for 5, walk for 60 seconds....You may also want to try doing quarters. This is something you can do on a track if you have access to one or you can map out a quarter mile stretch and go back and forth. After a good warm up.....Run your quarter mile as fast as possible, give yourself a 60 second rest then do it all again. Of course you will have to adjust something like these changes.

Next - are you getting enough sleep? Sleep deprivation can cause you to gain weight as well.

How is your nutrition? You can make adjustments to this which will help you get past your wall as well. I would say 1200 calories is kind of low myself. The standard for weight loss is 100-600 calories deficit for healthy weight loss. Make sure you add in your daily exercise and lifestyle when you do your calculation. Also, if you started out saying you didn't do anything when you started this program, be sure you go back and change your activity level. You may find your caloric intake needed to maintain weight has increased.

I am NO expert by the way. I have taken fitness courses and I have been into fitness for about 35 years. I have had my ups and downs like every one else. I just found myself needing to lose 30-35 pounds because I life run my life rather than me run my life.
  • chelsiebanderson
    Options
    Your body might have put itself into starvation mode because your getting so much exercise. So your body is storing fat because it doesn't know when it will be getting it again.

Or you may just need to shock your body a little bit by eating something different. If I stop losing weight I have to eat spinach or fish and it kinda kick starts the process again
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how you have the energy to run 7 miles on 1200 calories. I run a mile and I am starving afterwards. 400 net, is obviously not working. Follow the program and eat the proper amount.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Overdoing the cardio and/or not eating enough. Less cardio, more food.

Calories in vs calories out is lies lies lies, your body is smarter than math and knows what's up with that.

you are wrong! weight loss, is math, body comp, is macros. if she wants to lose fat, its simple cals in / energy out. if she is looking more for body comp, then yes, types of food rather than calorie count are more important. my 95 pound loss came from eating flaming hot cheetos, donuts, skittles, burgers, fries, beer and chocolate... just had to moderate the amount!
  • rosellasweet
    rosellasweet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'll ever get tired of these posts.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options

That's not even remotely close to what they mean...
  • k8wash
    k8wash Posts: 1
    Options
    Eat less carbohydrates.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'll ever get tired of these posts.

I hope you're being sarcastic
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    really u think, when i entered height and weight that's what it said, 1,200... :(

yeah, and you probably input too high of a weight loss goal. You appear to not need to lose much, if any, so a half pound (or less-but MFP doesn't have that option) is the max goal you should input. 1200 is the lowest it puts out but we have to use our BRAIN. MFP is a tool, not the deciding factor of how much we should eat. If you are that active, 1200 calories is completely ridiculous and UNHEALTHY.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Try eating about every 3 hours.it speeds up your metabolism and also eat right and try to be as healthy as possible and stay hydrated ALWAYS =)

Ignore this. There is absolutely no evidence that frequent meals speeds up your overall daily metabolism over 3 meals. That is a myth which has been tested extensively with results posted in reputable, peer reviewed journals of nutrition and obesity research. Meal frequency's only consideration is what eating style will keep you eating your calorie goal.

OP, change your goals to something much less aggressive, at most 1 pound per week. Also, check with your doctor to eliminate other possible reasons you are not losing such as thyroid issues, PCOS, and the like. Also, have you measured yourself in any other way than weight. Is your waist getting smaller, or your chest, hips, etc? Finally, with as little as you have to lose, you would be better served doing something other than running. Strength training would likely give you much more bang for your buck. If you have access to a gym with free weights go for something like Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. If you don't have access to a gym some type of bodyweight program would be good as well.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Dance and spin 3 times before you start each run. You will start losing weight then!

Seriously, with all of these different theories, that's what it's sounding like. Open your diary.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    I'll throw another one out there and agree with everyone else. 1200 calories is WAY too low for that much exercise...

But...

If you are not losing weight with that much exercise... wait for it.... You are still eating too much. You are not in a deficit. Something is off with your calculations somewhere, somehow.

Not necessarily. There are a bunch of other factors that could cause problems with weight loss not happening while fat loss actually is. The problem is weight is not a particularly helpful measure for progress at fat loss. As the RD who teaches the nutrition portion of the PT course I am taking says, "If you just want to lose weigh, cut off your leg. There, you have lost weight." The goal is to lose fat, and just using a scale to measure that doesn't really tell a person much.
  • arielledarae
    arielledarae Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's because you are not eating enough! Your body needs a MINIMUM of 1200 to function! And with you training so much you need to eat to fuel your workouts. Your body is in starvation mode right now which means because you are not eating enough, it's holding on to all fat for dear life. Eat more (healthy foods) and eventually your body will start releasing fat once it knows you will consistently feed it.